Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I had SO MANY problems with my Baratza Vario-W burr grinder - over several years, that I gave up and now get my beans ground at the time of purchase. I’ve replaced motors, sent it back to the vendor for repairs, etc. But I keep having issues with static build-up, the scale going whacko (showing EEE), failing switches, etc. Now, I just store my weekly-purchased and ground coffee in a Friis storage container, weigh out either 1.65 or 2.05 oz coffee depending on whether I want to make 10 or 12 “cups” of coffee in my Technivorm Moccamaster coffee maker. Is it the absolute best ever? No, but the coffee is about 98% of the way there for a LOT less effort and time. I spluge on really good coffee that I vary weekly depending on what’s in stock, but it’s one of my few remaining luxuries. This makes me happy.
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^^ It was more than I wanted to spend (about $150), but my Capresso conical burr grinder has run without issues for years. We have a Bonavita BV1900TD coffeemaker - between the two we can make great coffee! It makes 10 cups even though the ad copy says 8 cups (the carafe is way bigger). Friends of our have a Technivorm, great coffeemaker but twice the price of ours.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:13 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I put the cup under the spout of the Jura Ena Micro 1 and push the button. It grinds the beans, loads the chamber, and pumps the coffee into the cup. Then chucks the puck of grounds into a waste bin.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
Administrator

My only suggestion is to use filtered or spring water. I think the coffee tastes better that way.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My only suggestion is to use filtered or spring water. I think the coffee tastes better that way.

Hear hear. Quite a while ago I bought one of those standalone Brita containers (not a pitcher, sort of a small tank) with replaceable filters. The difference in coffee taste using filtered water vs. tap was noticeable and much better! Now the water is filtered in the fridge.

Otherwise, I’m an average Joe (not DiMaggio) with a basic programmable Mr. Coffee at home. Fancier brews are a mini-treat when out.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I put the cup under the spout of the Jura Ena Micro 1 and push the button. It grinds the beans, loads the chamber, and pumps the coffee into the cup. Then chucks the puck of grounds into a waste bin.
I'd be in trouble if I bought one of those...

Did you put this in the "blow that dough" thread
Old 08-21-2020, 02:07 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Yes, prepare your water too! It makes a difference.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:24 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The single biggeswt improvement I made to my coffee was getting a burr grinder. IMO, gettting a burr grinder is more important that getting a fancy coffee maker.

For my daily cups I use a Mr. Coffee Jr. It makes two very fine cups of coffee. I don't need any tricks. Just fill the water, add the filter and coffee and turn it on.

I also have had a Jura espresso machine for 10 years. At the push of a button, It grinds the been and produces a shot or a somewhat bigger cup if I like. Great coffee and every cup is freshly made. But, it requires more maintenance than the MC Jr. machine so I use it mainly when I want an espresso of just a very quick cup.

Thehe Jura is Expensive to purchase, but, compared to K-cups, the consumables are very cheap. One $15 bag of beans from Costco makes about 5x more coffee than a $40 package of k-cups. And it tastes much better.

K-cups are from the , IMHO. But, to each his own.
I agree with your points and reasoning.

We've been using up a 5lb bag of beans that was a gift. Lifting that up has been some real labor. It's Colombe Corsica Blend. Fill up half the hopper on the Bellemain Burr Coffee Grinder. This gets us through a couple of days.

I think smaller bags of beans are fresher to use.

Haven't been to Costco in a long time. I used to enjoy getting their beans.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:26 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'd be in trouble if I bought one of those...

Did you put this in the "blow that dough" thread
I try to purchase devices that are under $50. When they break or become difficult to use, I shed no tears.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We only buy coffee makers that I can convert the reservoir in my "No Fill" / "Auto Fill" system. That and as long as we can grind our own beans is the criteria. I refuse to have a maker that requires one to fill the water reservoir manually after 4 or 5 cups, that is for w$@K%ng stiffs . I am surprised no one has developed a consumer maker that has "Auto Fill" integrated. It is very simple to do.

So far I have converted our last 4 coffee makers, we only replace them when they die of old age.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We only buy coffee makers that I can convert the reservoir in my "No Fill" / "Auto Fill" system. That and as long as we can grind our own beans is the criteria. I refuse to have a maker that requires one to fill the water reservoir manually after 4 or 5 cups, that is for w$@K%ng stiffs . I am surprised no one has developed a consumer maker that has "Auto Fill" integrated. It is very simple to do.

So far I have converted our last 4 coffee makers, we only replace them when they die of old age.

I’ve got a coffee maker that does not have a reservoir. It is plumbed directly to my reverse osmosis water system. All I have to do is add the coffee, which I do nightly before I go to bed. Then, just a touch of a button in the morning and I’m good to go. I love the convenience of not having to manually add water.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:33 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I’ve got a coffee maker that does not have a reservoir. It is plumbed directly to my reverse osmosis water system. All I have to do is add the coffee, which I do nightly before I go to bed. Then, just a touch of a button in the morning and I’m good to go. I love the convenience of not having to manually add water.
Who makes it? Model Number?
Old 08-22-2020, 08:55 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We had something like Flavia machine in office.
https://www.quill.com/flavia-coffee-...bk/119583.html
Old 08-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
When my old Jura gives up the ghost, I am thinking of replacing it with that model or similar.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #35

I've been using a Jura machine for a couple of years and it has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of my coffee. I typically drink 3-4 big mugs of it every morning. They're "blow that dough" machines, but well worth it IMHO.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:48 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been using a Jura machine for a couple of years and it has made a huge difference in my enjoyment of my coffee. I typically drink 3-4 big mugs of it every morning. They're "blow that dough" machines, but well worth it IMHO.
We had a DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM3300 All in One till it died and I could not buy the parts to fix it. As you say they make a GREAT cup, but I found ours a bear to clean. It did not need cleaning often but when it did it I had to take it half apart to do it.

What is the Jura like to clean and are there any "O" rings that need replacing?
Old 08-22-2020, 09:52 AM   #37

Quote:
What is the Jura like to clean and are there any "O" rings that need replacing?
The Jura really almost cleans itself.
At intervals, depending on how much it's used, it tells you it wants to be cleaned. So you start the cleaning cycle and drop in a cleaning tablet. It goes through the routine and you're done.

Also at intervals, it tells you it wants to be descaled (this varies by the hardness of your water). So you start the descaling cycle and drop in descaling tablets. It goes through the routine and you're done.

Nothing to replace, but due to the machine's cost I only use their OEM cleaning and descaling tablets.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Brew Express BEC-110BS. I bought it on Amazon several years ago. It wasn’t too expensive at the time. You can still get one on Amazon, but the price is now way more than I paid.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:55 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a Braun espresso machine, which was too much trouble. Then we had an old Keurig, but the computer chip in it started acting weird and I had to do a complicated reset a couple of times a week. When I retired I realized how much I like coffee and how little it affects me as far as sleep goes. So we bought a Ninja coffee maker that has a start timer. I love setting up the coffee maker after dinner and waking up to the coffee already made. DH puts so much junk in his coffee (cream and sweetener) that he just does instant a couple of times a day. I put a little cream in once every couple of days but mostly drink it black. And always use filtered water. The water filter in the fridge is just fine for my purposes.

I wouldn't mind trying a coffee press, but I am lazy and impatient.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This summer I've taken a liking to iced coffee with a generous splash of whole milk. I got some mini ice cube trays to make coffee ice cubes, and keep a supply in a ziplock bag in the freezer, with a big jar of coffee in the fridge. I also freeze home-made chocolate syrup in a large ice cube tray for times when an iced mocha sounds good. A couple thawed cubes flavors a pint of mocha.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote