Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Coffee - What is your favorite?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed
whoa, that is a lot of coffee!!! i had a former boss who said she drank about 6-8 cups a day...after a point, doesn't it stop feeling any different at all?

did you have caffeine withdrawal headaches when you cut back? i get them if i don't have my morning cup by 10am
Yeah. I had fierce headaches for about a week. But it was worth it to be free of the addiction. I still have coffee in the am and I enjoy it, but if I don't have a cup, I don't get a headache....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I don't get a pot cup, I don't get a pulse...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - the headaches show up sometimes just switching to de caf for a while.

heh heh heh :P :P
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:25 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

There has been a lot of discussion of various brands of coffee, but what is the opinion concerning arabica vs. robustica?
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

I'm hooked, but have cut back a lot since I quit (daily) work. Now it is 3-4 cups per day, it was 10-15 cups/day while in the USAF.

- I drink instant coffee (Folgers) almost exclusively when I'm home. It's good enough, and a fresh cup of instant tastes 10x better than drip coffee that's been on the warmer for 2 hours.

Fresh coffee in a thermos--stays great tasting all day. The warming plate turns it bitter and nasty in no time.

Coffee brands: Not picky. I've had some nasty generic stuff from Kroger, but most of the rest has been good enought to fill the square.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
I'm hooked, but have cut back a lot since I quit (daily) work. Now it is 3-4 cups per day, it was 10-15 cups/day while in the USAF.

- I drink instant coffee (Folgers) almost exclusively when I'm home. It's good enough, and a fresh cup of instant tastes 10x better than drip coffee that's been on the warmer for 2 hours.

Fresh coffee in a thermos--stays great tasting all day. The warming plate turns it bitter and nasty in no time.

Coffee brands: Not picky. I've had some nasty generic stuff from Kroger, but most of the rest has been good enought to fill the square.
We have a MR Coffee with a thermos carafe. There is no heater, but it keeps the coffee warm for a few hours. This solves the problem you described.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
We have a MR Coffee with a thermos carafe. There is no heater, but it keeps the coffee warm for a few hours. This solves the problem you described.
What's the model number?

Does the coffee drip directly into the thermos carafe or do you have to transfer it from a brewing pot?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
What's the model number?

Does the coffee drip directly into the thermos carafe or do you have to transfer it from a brewing pot?
It drips directly into the carafe.

http://www.mrcoffee.com/productdetail.aspx?id=164&cat=1

We've had it for several years. It works well. Amazon lists it for $51.27. Ships free.

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-FTTX85-.../dp/B0008JHFQU

Old 05-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #69

1 cup of skimmed milk heated in the microwave for 2 minutes then add 1 teaspoon of Cafe Bustelo Espresso and 1 teaspoon of sweetner.

I love iced coffee.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Here you go. Brew up a cup of the worlds most expensive Java!

Quote:
add to the coffee's flavor by breaking down the proteins that give coffee its bitter taste
Read this. I got news for them... that bitter taste comes from something else. Ick! :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
Old 05-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I quickly skimmed thru and didn't see Tim Horton's mentioned. Pretty much every Canadian is addicted to Tim Hortons up here including myself. Tim Hortons is now in the U.S. but I think mainly in the northern part for now, but they have big expansion plans for the US.
accountingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Since Dory appears to be on extended leave, I thought I'd slip in a method he uses and other forum members have sucessfully copied...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dory36
In the early 90s, we were staying on a boat, and the host served excellent coffee with breakfast. I saw her pour this syrup into a cup and add boiling water to make it. I had to know.

She sent us to "toddy coffee" at http://www.toddycafe.com/shop/product.php?productId=67 (well, then it was a phone call).

Basically, you put cheap coffee and water in a container for 12 hours, then pull the plug at the bottom and let the liquid drain through a 1/2" thick filter. They say 16 oz of coffee and fill with water -- we find that 13 oz (as it comes from Walmart) works fine.

You end up with a concentrate. You mix it with 3 or 4 parts boiling water when it is time to serve. The syrup keeps for a few weeks in the fridge (unless the fridge belongs to th).

We've been doing it ever since.

Basically, you end up with coffee much lower in acids due to the process, instead of having to buy premium coffees to get the same thing. (The taste doesn't get noticably better with premium coffee, either.)

Also, a good part of the caffeine is lost in the process. Not decaf, but probably like a 50-50 mix of decaf and regular. But read the linked page for details. Also at http://www.toddycafe.com/cbinfo/secret.php

The taste and price are great -- but also, you just use what you need, and prepare cups the way you would prepare instant. So you never make too much or too little.

Your coffee may vary, but about 1 in 3 guests who stayed with us wound up buying one of these over the past 10 years.

CheapCoffee36
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco
It drips directly into the carafe.

http://www.mrcoffee.com/productdetail.aspx?id=164&cat=1

We've had it for several years. It works well. Amazon lists it for $51.27. Ships free.

http://www.amazon.com/Coffee-FTTX85-.../dp/B0008JHFQU
My coffee maker...

Bought mine at WallyWorld for $39.95!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CFB, I might order one of those toddy cafe things. Maybe I can still have my coffee after all. Looks promising.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

It looks like they're sold out of a few retail outlets (see their web page), including Cost Plus World Market...I have one of those up the street, may drop in and check it out.

Anyone ever tried doing it with stuff they already have, like just 'brewing' it in a tupperware and then pouring the result through some cheesecloth over a mesh strainer?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #76

Does decaf coffee still have caffiene in it? I switched to decaf but I can't to get rid of all the caffiene effects unless I stop drinking it and go to herbal tea.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:41 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

The last I heard, 'decaf' has about 1/3 the caffeine as regular coffee.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #78

depends on the decaf - some lame "investigative report" found that at various starbucks their decaf was highly caffeinated - guess the baristas have a mean streak or bad hearing.

but all decaf has some - this article has #'s

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=53858

also have heard that the quality goes waay down when you buy decaf - because of the processing, they should be using super premium beans -but most don't want to do that cuz consumers won't pay the difference -so the end product is inferior to what you get in the caffeinated bunch.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

we rarely have coffee (actually i try to avoid caffeine cause i get REEELY HYPER on it) but dh make a cappucino every morning and dinners end with a cappucino for dh, a double latte for me, and a tiny tiny latte for ds. ds gets one b/c otherwise he drinks alot of mine, and i don't care what people say, but you cannot reason with an 18 mo old. anyways, this kid knows most of the steps in making a cappucino and feels entitled to enjoy the end product.

dh uses Illy whole beans or a blend of free trade beans from a local coffee distributor. Whole foods also has a very good house brand bean.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just had a conversation with a friend who was drinking a cup of coffee at the time. We both prefer single cup filters and freshly ground whole bean coffees. He remarked that French press coffee tasted better but was bad for you. I hadn't heard that and looked it up on the web.

Apparently, unfiltered coffee like that produced by the French press method raises bad cholesterol. There is a lot of crap on the web, as with all health issues, but some actual scientific studies suggest this.

I've got to try French press coffee now. It tastes so good it's bad for you. Mmmm.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote