Coffee - What is your favorite?

Peets, Decaf Moca Java, for hot; for cold Peets Decaf Moca Fredo. Like it just about enough to keep working to ensure endless supply.

bright eyed said:
peets! house blend...usually, right now have the major dickinson? and that's stronger, more chocolatey...in general peet's is very strong even in a regular drip maker.

have an alpina burr grinder and use an italian moka pot...since i work from home this is my coffee house coffee morning ritual... :D

I also like peet's major dickenson's blend
(i'm pretty sure i've got the spelling wrong)

Oh crap, I forgot Community Coffee, dark roast. Also, Kona. I don't like flavored coffees. Cafe du Monde with benignets (sp?) is marvelous.

While I was in Hawaii, daughter instructed me that coffee made from the bean at the time of brewing is better than having it ground in advance. If I buy a big bag of coffee, I usually divide it up and freeze some, thinking it will be fresher. She thinks that's wrong. Any comments?

Eagle43 said:
While I was in Hawaii, daughter instructed me that coffee made from the bean at the time of brewing is better than having it ground in advance. If I buy a big bag of coffee, I usually divide it up and freeze some, thinking it will be fresher. She thinks that's wrong. Any comments?
Sounds like another zealot from Kauai Coffee Company! Grinding the bean accelerates the loss of the chemicals that make coffee taste freshly ground. The idea is to maximize the flavor by delaying grinding until the last possible moment. So KCC makes a big show out of letting you see them grinding the coffee you're buying.

Freezing is considered marginally better than doing nothing, but nowhere near close to grinding.

The author of "Uncommon Grounds" claims that the most significant advance in coffee-preservation technology is the little one-way valve in the plastic bags that allows offgassing CO2 to leak out of the bag without building up and spoiling the flavor.

Of course this is the same guy who not only buys his coffee in whole beans, but buys it unroasted so that he can maximize its freshness. When he wants a cup of coffee he has to warm up the oven and get out a cookie sheet.

I think back to all the brownish liquids I've slurped & chewed at various temperatures from assorted containers at all hours in many strange places... what's left of my palate can barely be bothered to brew the stuff, let alone grind it. Pearls before swine.

i know a lot of people do the freezer thing - but saw on "good eats" alton brown said not too - i think in particular if you are taking it in and out of the fridge because of the condensation - makes it yucky. not sure if it's an issue if you just plan on keeping it in there - then leave it out once you open the package...

i do think and have heard the grinding right before brewing makes a difference...haven't gotten to the roasting though! that would add a new level of obsession! have heard some people use a popcorn popper? at least peet's tries to roast as close to shipping as possible - but who knows how long it has been on my megamart's shelf? we don't have a peet's near me...and i'm too lazy/cheap to get it shipped to my house - i don't need a box of it sitting around my house.

Alas, drinking coffee induces coughing in me a couple days later. Don't indulge much any more. Caribou Coffee house blend is pretty good.

Folgers 100% pure Coffee Singles.

They're like tea bags but they have coffee in them instead.

Hmmm - I probably inherited the 'Finn coffee gene' - I like all kinds, fixed different ways.

Now a days - Hyvee breakfast generic thru a Bunn coffee maker.

Cowboy coffee is a lot like my Finn Grandmother(Mom's side) used to make on the stovetop when I visited in the 1960's - she had a hand held wire mesh strainer thing when pouring into the cup. Black with a pastry or two.

heh heh heh 8)

I hate coffee!!!! But someone insisted I try the coffee when I got to Panama. Man, that stuff is good! It's called Duran coffee and it's made in the mountain region here in Panama.

Guess I'm a coffee gourmand. Like my wine and women, I like it good, cheap, and lots of it. My current fave coffee is Whole Bean Eight O'Clock Columbian, Bokar, or French Roast. I drink half the pot in the morning and make iced coffee from the rest during the afternoon.

Guess Im a coffee failure :-[ I haven't heard of 90 percent of the coffee listed

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Want2Retire,

Is Cafe Du Mond still there?

Yes, it is. It has even opened a branch in Metairie. They are great!

My favorite will always be Morning Call, though. :)

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
Yes, it is. It has even opened a branch in Metairie. They are great!

My favorite will always be Morning Call, though.

Cafe du Mond will always be N.O. for us.

I am glad you have such pleasant memories of New Orleans. :)

Timely thread...reminded me to resume my dunkin donuts autoship program. Pretty nice deal...$6.39/lb (for a REAL pound, not the new faux 12 ounce 'pound'). I buy them four at a time to cut down on the shipping. Nice mild brew, which is the wifes preference. I like a little more bite to it, but its a pretty good coffee at a pretty good price.

Want2retire said:
I am glad you have such pleasant memories of New Orleans. :)

1974-2005, I don't know how times/how many brands - I tryed coffee and chicory.

Just couldn't get there from here. Step daughter in spare room loved the the stuff.

heh heh heh :p :eek:

I love coffee, but, coffee hasn't been loving me lately. I have been weaning myself from coffee to green tea .:-\ I have been feeling better since I have not been drinking as much. Doc told me that I have thinning of the bones and with my GERD, I thought I'd try to cut down on coffee and wine in case I need to start taking Fosamax or something similar. Too much acid for me.

Community coffee cafe blend. Similar to their between roast but much smoother.

2soon

Community blue - when I lived in New Orleans.

heh heh heh - haven't found a Kansas City brand yet.

Columbian coffee mostly,( Costco Brand) but I brought some back from Maui "Sir Wilfreds" Choc. Macadamia nut made in Kaui..really good coffee. I also liked Maui coffee.

For some reason I didn't like Kona. Glad because it is really expensive.
Kona was $27.00 for a 1 pound bag.... too rich for my tase.

Kathye

Dunkin Donuts --- black and strong

I also like Chock full o nuts because of the nutty flavor

The best coffee I ever had was in a cafe in France. It was so strong you could chew it. I don't know what kind it was, but I sure do miss it. I also love French wine.

I dont know why this didnt come to me earlier in the thread...

I like my coffee the same way I like my women.

Tied up in a sack and thrown over the back of a donkey by Juan Valdez.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I dont know why this didnt come to me earlier in the thread...
I like my coffee the same way I like my women.
Tied up in a sack and thrown over the back of a donkey by Juan Valdez.
Well, it didn't get better by virtue of making us wait for it!

But it explains why you're home taking care of the kid...

... and probably working barefoot in the kitchen, too, right?

Back
Top Bottom