Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

UNC will probably be in tough against Texas A&M who feels like they should be in one of the semi-finals in place of OSU or ND.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #182
gone traveling

Clemson Tigers once again in the CFP, after soundly beating ND with our full complement of defensive players (not to mention Trevor Lawrence). Goes to show how beneficail he is, and in my mind is the most valuable player in college football this year, Heisman win or not. Playing tOSU first, in effort to make it 5-0 against tOSU, then on to Bama who will beat ND handily.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
That will be a tough one. Texas A&M smarting from not getting into the playoff. Plus balanced attack and a great defense especially against the run.
Or I could have just added the +1 to this.

SEC could have had all 4 of the semi-finalists this year and I don't think it would have been a bad choice in terms of team strength though maybe not the best for fans.
Old 12-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #184
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
SEC could have had all 4 of the semi-finalists this year and I don't think it would have been a bad choice
We'll see. I have heard this so many times over the last 2 Clemson National Championships....
Old 12-20-2020, 03:17 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
We'll see. I have heard this so many times over the last 2 Clemson National Championships....
Yes I agree that Clemson deserves to be there - sometimes I forget that they are ACC! Even the day after they win the ACC Championship!
Old 12-20-2020, 03:25 PM   #186
gone traveling

Quote:
Yes I agree that Clemson deserves to be there - sometimes I forget that they are ACC! Even the day after they win the ACC Championship!
LOL. I understand that. Hope we can continue to be dominant over the Bucknuts!
Old 12-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
SEC could have had all 4 of the semi-finalists this year and I don't think it would have been a bad choice in terms of team strength though maybe not the best for fans.
I think it would've been a very bad choice, even dismissing your mistake about Clemson. In a year where very few games were played out of conference, there's no way to see how the best from each conference measure up to each other, so you can't just load up on one conference. A&M could've easily gone over Notre Dame, but neither Florida nor Georgia looked all that great compared throughout the season to me. We've already seen that those two are behind Alabama and A&M, so you've got to see how Ohio State can do against them. I'd take Cincinnati before a 3rd SEC team.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
That will be a tough one. Texas A&M smarting from not getting into the playoff. Plus balanced attack and a great defense especially against the run.
... plus Jimbo Fisher (who, apparently, is plenty mad!) knows the TarHeels well from his time at FSU. I don't think this will end well for UNC (that said, I will be rooting for the underdog)
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #189
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
... plus Jimbo Fisher (who, apparently, is plenty mad!) knows the TarHeels well from his time at FSU. I don't think this will end well for UNC (that said, I will be rooting for the underdog)
Never underestimate Jimbo Fisher's ability to screw up a game!
Old 12-20-2020, 03:55 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, UNC will definitely be the underdog but we have some good players too--QB Sam Howell, and our 2 good running backs Carter and Williams. And a Coach with experience. Anyway it has been 75 years since UNC has been to a major bowl so we are thrilled. I just wish it were not during a pandemic--in a normal year I would be making my plans to go.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Yes, UNC will definitely be the underdog but we have some good players too--QB Sam Howell, and our 2 good running backs Carter and Williams. And a Coach with experience. Anyway it has been 75 years since UNC has been to a major bowl so we are thrilled. I just wish it were not during a pandemic--in a normal year I would be making my plans to go.
And PS-- UNC basketball just beat Kentucky yesterday in basketball so overall a good weekend.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Army with a 9-2 record was left out of a bowl but teams with losing records got in due to conference tie ins. Something not right about the system.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I think it would've been a very bad choice, even dismissing your mistake about Clemson. In a year where very few games were played out of conference, there's no way to see how the best from each conference measure up to each other, so you can't just load up on one conference. A&M could've easily gone over Notre Dame, but neither Florida nor Georgia looked all that great compared throughout the season to me. We've already seen that those two are behind Alabama and A&M, so you've got to see how Ohio State can do against them. I'd take Cincinnati before a 3rd SEC team.
Actually I agree and should have said 'some might have felt it would not be a bad choice'. Even after watching the Clemson-ND game I didn't think it likely that ND would get dropped for Texas A&M and not only because of viewership. The commentators felt that since ND was beaten so badly that they should get booted but I don't agree with that especially in the college game. ND could have been out to a 14-0 or certainly a 10-0 early lead and it could have been a different game. There is so much emotion in the college game so I think it is more like a loss is a loss. And of course Florida couldn't really get in with 3 losses (one to an unranked team with a losing record) but it was good to see them give Alabama a run for their money. I don't see ND (or OSU if that had been the match up) doing that on New Year's Day. Of course anything can happen in college ball.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #194
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Army with a 9-2 record was left out of a bowl but teams with losing records got in due to conference tie ins. Something not right about the system.
I thought Army was going to the Independence Bowl?
Old 12-20-2020, 05:46 PM   #195
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
ESPN shows them in the Independence Bowl, excuse me, the Radiance Technologies Independence Bowl, awaiting an opponent to be named. Or has that been cancelled due to not being able to fill that spot?

Never mind, I see that it has been cancelled. The leader in sports is not up to date.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course the A&M fanbase would also love nothing more than to spank a team coached by old nemesis Mack Brown.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:05 AM   #197
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Yep this was just another year of wait till next year for UGA just like the last 40 has been. Where is old #34 when we need him again. I knew that Trevor would be an asset to someone back when he played in High school and he sure has been. I agree about the who;e system being screwed up, it has been for a few years, but like so many other things its out of my hands!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
UNC played FSU twice during Jimbo Fisher's tenure at Florida State and UNC beat FSU both times--the last time UNC won on field goal that was about 55 yards. So don't count UNC out just yet.
Old 12-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #199

Teams that feel like they got shafted into a lower bowl than they deserve have terrible records in bowl games. I would take UNC and the points - maybe even the money line.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Teams that feel like they got shafted into a lower bowl than they deserve have terrible records in bowl games. I would take UNC and the points - maybe even the money line.
You make an interesting point. That's probably why the spread opened at under a touchdown. There are some relevant examples from Bama and Ga from the past years.

But I tend to doubt that in this case since Texas A&M has not played in the Orange Bowl in 1944, has never been in the playoff, etc. It is a big game for both teams based on history.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote