Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2020, 03:27 AM   #21
gone traveling

The Big 10 and Pac 12 could be the smartest guys in the room by not playing if Covid gets worse with college football.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Crap schedule today, only a couple of games worth my interest and I don't anticipate them being good (main one being my Yellow Jackets most likely losing to FSU, I just hope they look better than last year).

Real football won't start until SEC kicks off in a couple of weeks.
Go Jackets!

Sloppy play and many play stoppages due to on-field "injuries". What you would expect with so little "training camp" time.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:17 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Go Jackets!

Sloppy play and many play stoppages due to on-field "injuries". What you would expect with so little "training camp" time.
Also there were some weather delays due to lightening but a win is a win for Georgia Tech.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:20 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
The Big 10 and Pac 12 could be the smartest guys in the room by not playing if Covid gets worse with college football.
Time will tell on this. At UNC it helps that dorms are closed to most students and classes are online and the football players are in a "bubble." But we shall see. The big controversy from yesterday's game is that the NC governor would not let the player's families attend (except for 25 parents of senior football players). NC only allows 50 people to attend outside events and the county where UNC is located has reduced that number to 25.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I'm a FCS league fan a big step down from the teams most here follow. Being from a very rural area the FCS is big for us.
I will miss the fall program for FCS teams but will play in the spring as of now.
NFL is to much commercialized and political for me, so not interested.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Time will tell on this. At UNC it helps that dorms are closed to most students and classes are online and the football players are in a "bubble." But we shall see. The big controversy from yesterday's game is that the NC governor would not let the player's families attend (except for 25 parents of senior football players). NC only allows 50 people to attend outside events and the county where UNC is located has reduced that number to 25.
So many different rules around the country. I was watching a Champions Tour event yesterday and they allowed 5k spectors in to view the golf. This is in South Dakota with low covid rates. And a few football games yesterday had several thousand fans scattered throughout the stadiums. Not allowing families at the NC game seems silly.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:49 AM   #27
gone traveling

Watched Clemson v. Wake last night. Pretty much just a shake the cobwebs off game, and once again Trevor Lawrence playing three quarters. A lot of true freshmen starting in that game for Clemson on the Offensive and Defensive lines. Should be another good year for them. Glad to see some movement toward normalcy, and that's all I'll say about that.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
So many different rules around the country. I was watching a Champions Tour event yesterday and they allowed 5k spectors in to view the golf. This is in South Dakota with low covid rates. And a few football games yesterday had several thousand fans scattered throughout the stadiums. Not allowing families at the NC game seems silly.
Yeah, the US is about 4% of the world’s population and we have 21% of the Covid deaths. So we should ease up on large gatherings since we’re doing so well, after all watching football in person is essential. Especially with a significant segment of the population not wearing masks or social distancing in public. Who cares how long the infections and deaths go on.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #29
Administrator

Any chance we can keep this thread from being infected by COVID?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #30
gone traveling

I am an LSU (SEC) fan so waiting for them to start, but I did watch some of the Clemson/Wake Forest game last night. Interesting that the Rajun Cajans beat Iowa State. Much prefer college football vs NFL.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8693 View Post
Watched Clemson v. Wake last night. Pretty much just a shake the cobwebs off game, and once again Trevor Lawrence playing three quarters. A lot of true freshmen starting in that game for Clemson on the Offensive and Defensive lines. Should be another good year for them. Glad to see some movement toward normalcy, and that's all I'll say about that.
Trevor should have left early if he was eligible for the NFL. Playing in these uncertain times and risk of getting injured can ruin his future.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:17 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Trevor should have left early if he was eligible for the NFL. Playing in these uncertain times and risk of getting injured can ruin his future.
Please stay away from this kind of conversation. Would like to be able to have a college football thread stay open.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Trevor is not eligible for the draft until 2021 which is unfortunate for the rest of the ACC teams.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Yeah, the US is about 4% of the world’s population and we have 21% of the Covid deaths. So we should ease up on large gatherings since we’re doing so well, after all watching football in person is essential. Especially with a significant segment of the population not wearing masks or social distancing in public. Who cares how long the infections and deaths go on.
You stretched what I was saying quite a bit but not surprising.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:42 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Any chance we can keep this thread from being infected by COVID?
Yes, please!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I like Illini football. I liked Lovie Smith as the Bears coach and now with the Illini.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:37 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like there is s good chance Big 10 football will start on October 17th. Go Hawks!
Old 09-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
Sounds like there is s good chance Big 10 football will start on October 17th. Go Hawks!
Tom, that would be great for all the Big 10 teams, where are you hearing this?
Old 09-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
John, since Penn State is in the Big 10 they have to do what the Big 10 says to do. The Big 10 delayed football weeks ago. I just saw today that the Big 10 will be announcing a decision about football in the next 72 hours. If the Big 10 decides to play I would think a new shortened schedule for each team will be announced. There is a lot of info about all this on the Penn State Football message board (google that and it will take you to it). I hope that the Big 10 teams get to play and that all the teams stay safe and get in a season.
Harllee, thanks for the directions to the Penn State Football message board. I'm going to check it out! I wasn't getting any useful info from my own googling. "WE ARE..."
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:52 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Tom, that would be great for all the Big 10 teams, where are you hearing this?
Coach Greg S of Rutgers is back. They've fallen on hard times but second time back rehired with better recruiting classes could bring back the winning seasons when Coach was there the first fime.