Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-02-2021, 07:45 AM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised to see Clemson's D torched repeatedly. It seemed like a bad night for them. I felt like many teams could have beaten Clemson yesterday.

Dabo's dissing of OSU may have fired them up.

Just shows you have to lineup and play the games.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2021, 08:47 AM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Tough loss for Cincinnati. O couldn't get going in second half. Clutch FG at the end.

Being here in Cincinnati, I would have liked to see them win. They just let Georgia beat them in second half. Cincinnati kind of imploded.

Ohio State certainly made a statement though with their win over Clemson. Hope they can continue that performance into the final with Alabama. Clemson QB Trevor Laurence will still go #1 pick in the draft.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
It does and has happened, not consistently, but can when the big boys take another team too lightly. Key play makers missing can also level the playing field.
Yeah but I think you were implying that you can't rank teams/conferences and that's just not true, you look at the body of work and then you can generally say where P5 vs. G5 falls. E.g. does anyone think Cincy could beat Bama or OSU in the playoffs this year? Um, no. Should they be allowed to try in an expanded playoff and might win once in a blue moon? Sure.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #264
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Rose Bowl?!? In Texas? That was absurd.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #265
Give me a forum ...

Why?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #266
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I don't think they were permitted to have it in California due to Covid restrictions so they had to move somewhere else. I guess they could have named it something else for this year but I don't see any problem calling it the Rose Bowl. They have roses in Texas don't they?
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #267
Give me a forum ...

Tough times mean weird Rose Bowls.

1942 Rose Bowl was in Durham, North Carolina.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #268
Give me a forum ...

So far all the ACC teams have lost in the bowl games. Hoping for a UNC victory tonight but I don't know with so many opt outs. But anyway GO TAR HEELS!
Old 01-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #269
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFan View Post
Yeah but I think you were implying that you can't rank teams/conferences and that's just not true, you look at the body of work and then you can generally say where P5 vs. G5 falls. E.g. does anyone think Cincy could beat Bama or OSU in the playoffs this year? Um, no. Should they be allowed to try in an expanded playoff and might win once in a blue moon? Sure.
I did not say you can't rank them as that will continue to happen despite my viewpoint on rankings that may unfairly skew playoff games. Rankings when it comes to these playoff games may make teams and their fans feel good or maybe bad depending on where they fall. Nevertheless, that is why I suggested a more comprehensive playoff system is needed vs limiting playoffs to only 4 teams. Now you have A&M complaining they would have been a better opponent for OU vs ND.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #270
gone traveling

Quote:
Thank Govennor Newsom for that.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
.... The whole thing smells bad. The CFP wanted Notre Dame. The Big 10 moved the goalposts so tOSU would be eligible for their conference championship game. Teams like Cincy and Texas A&M are on the outside because of it. The CFP has a list of maybe 5-6 schools it wants, and does what it can to make it so. Even the BCS felt less corrupt than this.
I think tOSU proved last night that it was justified to "move the goal posts" as you framed it.... they pretty much dominated #2 Clemson. Bama also looks good but I think the National Championship game should be very entertaining.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:22 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

It seems to me that it must be disappointing to the athletes to not be able to make the trip to California for a Pasadena Rose Bowl.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #273
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think tOSU proved last night that it was justified to "move the goal posts" as you framed it.... they pretty much dominated #2 Clemson. Bama also looks good but I think the National Championship game should be very entertaining.
The Tides defense does not look as good to me as it has in past years. The Buckeyes on the other hand are strong on both sides of the ball, and if Fields has a good game, Bama will be vulnerable. Definitely looking forward to this game.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:47 PM   #274
Give me a forum ...

So after putting both ND and Clemson in the playoff, the ACC teams did not win a single bowl game.

The Big 12 won all of theirs. And the SEC was 6-2 with several mid division teams beating ranked opponents.

I guess that's why they line up and play.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:52 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I don't think they were permitted to have it in California due to Covid restrictions so they had to move somewhere else. I guess they could have named it something else for this year but I don't see any problem calling it the Rose Bowl. They have roses in Texas don't they?
Tyler Texas, the Rose Capital of America is about 90 minutes away.

I don't love that stadium but it was a natural to host a game that California would not let happen in their state.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:07 AM   #276
Give me a forum ...

Well my Tar Heels lost to a very good Texas A&M team but UNC played a good game with a bunch of young players so the future is bright. I am proud of the fact that UNC acted responsibly and did not have any Covid cases after a few cases in the beginning of practice last summer. I hope I am back attending football games next year.

PS Tar Heel basketball beat Notre Dame yesterday so there is that.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:14 AM   #277
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Well my Tar Heels lost to a very good Texas A&M team but UNC played a good game with a bunch of young players so the future is bright. I am proud of the fact that UNC acted responsibly and did not have any Covid cases after a few cases in the beginning of practice last summer. I hope I am back attending football games next year.

PS Tar Heel basketball beat Notre Dame yesterday so there is that.
UNC has a good ball team and Sam Howell is a cool customer. He is definitely one to watch. Always liked Mack Brown.

Game was back and fourth till Achane got rolling and A&M defense asserted itself.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:19 AM   #278
Give me a forum ...

You know, I watch a game here and there. But I no longer really follow college (or pro) football.

The relatively inability to go to a game has taken the spark out of it for me. And I assume the universities will be looking to us alumni (and wealthy donors) to make up the shortfall in revenues with much reduced incomes and HUGE expenses like coaches salaries.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:31 AM   #279
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
So after putting both ND and Clemson in the playoff, the ACC teams did not win a single bowl game.
Well, you do have to look at the games that were played, and the opponents, not just the conferences. I congratulte the Bicknuts on a well played game. That doesn't diminish what tthe Tigers did this year, or the last 5 years. SO sick of the my conference is the best argument. Pull for a team.
Tiger8693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 07:59 AM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
UNC has a good ball team and Sam Howell is a cool customer. He is definitely one to watch. Always liked Mack Brown.

Game was back and fourth till Achane got rolling and A&M defense asserted itself.
UNC is starting a Sam Howell for Heisman Trophy campaign for next year.