College Football Championship

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was glad to see the Buckeyes make the cut but we need an eight team play-off system. I'm sure the selection committee will be getting a lot of flack but I do think they got it right.

GO BUCKEYES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dance::dance:

I was surprised to see TCU get bumped too, until I read the committee rationale.

Ohio State will have beaten as many ranked teams as Baylor did and one more than TCU did, and OSU's were away from home by multiple scores. OSU played 10 bowl teams in 13 games, compared to TCU's seven in 12 and Baylor's six in 12. And Saturday, Ohio State beat former No. 13 Wisconsin, 59-0.
And it beats the unverifiable approach they've used in the past. Presumably they'll only get better in their ranking/playoff methodology over the next few years.

Last edited:
So happy to see Ohio State get in as number 4. What an impressive win 59-0 with their third string quarterback last night!

OSU really deserved the spot. Impressive last game. I felt bad for TCU and Baylor and almost feel like TCU was used by the committee to heighten the drama about the rankings and a lot of bad feelings resulted between Baylor and TCU as a result, when TCU itself had nothing to do with where the committee was ranking the teams. I read there is a feeling the committee should not rank throughout the season, just do the seeding at the end.

The committee certainly got it wrong last week, and now wanted to make up for it (what was wrong last week was the Baylor vs TCU rank, after all, Baylor did beat TCU, although personally I like TCU). While I agree with the final decision, in my opinion, there was nothing that happened this past week that should have changed their prior weeks choice, unless that choice was clearly wrong.

Nevertheless, there will be no justice and only controversy until they go with a playoff scheme between the conference champs.

Seminoles are looking good to upset the Ducks.

It would be nice if FSU expelled Winston before the game, but that will never happen. What a sleezy school administration. Anyway, the Ducks will expose them for the posers that they are.

I wonder what bowl teams they refer to since2014/15 bowls have not been played yet?

Remember, you only need to have 6 wins to be a bowl team, nationally ranked teams is another matter.

Yea but you are only a bowl team if you actually are invited and play in a bowl. 6 wins does not guarantee a bowl appearance at all. Just means that some bowl may come a-knockin.

Right, they were probably referring to being bowl eligible, and there are certainly way too many bowls for me to name:LOL:

The committee solved the Big 12 TCU-Baylor dispute by taking the easy way out. Pass both of them over for OSU. This decision also helps with geographic interests, TV advertising dollars, and the fact that OSU fans travel in greater numbers than either Big 12 school. When things are close, always follow the money.

Go Ducks!

What impresses me is the clean play and good conduct by football players, coaches and staff. College students are bound to exercise poor judgment now and again, it comes with male brains under development but so far so good.

My cousin's family has been involved with the athletic department for many years, her Dad was the team physician for maybe 20 years. She got upset years ago when a Eugene cop stopped a Black football player for a tail-light violation (you know the type of flakey excuses Blacks are often pulled over for .. driving while Black), her family name was well known in town so she told the powers that be to knock it off and treat all the guys the same. I haven't heard her rant about that for a long time.

The committee solved the Big 12 TCU-Baylor dispute by taking the easy way out. Pass both of them over for OSU. This decision also helps with geographic interests, TV advertising dollars, and the fact that OSU fans travel in greater numbers than either Big 12 school. When things are close, always follow the money.

First the committee created the dispute, then at the end they resolved it.

The committee certainly got it wrong last week, and now wanted to make up for it (what was wrong last week was the Baylor vs TCU rank, after all, Baylor did beat TCU, although personally I like TCU). While I agree with the final decision, in my opinion, there was nothing that happened this past week that should have changed their prior weeks choice, unless that choice was clearly wrong.

Nevertheless, there will be no justice and only controversy until they go with a playoff scheme between the conference champs.

+1 It makes no sense that TCU wins 55-3 and drops 3 spots and OSU wins 59-0 and jumps up 3 spots unless the committee thought they had it wrong last week.

Being from Texas I am disappointed in the decision....

First, the TCU/Baylor game could have gone either way... it was decided by 3 points... sure, Baylor won, but I would rank it as a tie....
Baylor lost bad to a team that TCU beat... so I thought that putting them ahead was OK.. IOW, TCU lost to a top 5 ranked team, none of the other 1 loss teams can say that.... if they lost, they lost to a much 'weaker' team...

Even thought Florida State was unbeaten, I do not see them as one of the best 4 teams.... looking at the stats and how dominant teams are, TCU and Baylor look better than Florida State....

Ohio State played 3 ranked teams.... and their loss was to a 6-6 team... their last win was pretty impressive, but I would have put TCU and Baylor ahead of them.... (as a note, Baylor lost to a 7-5 team and TCU to an 11-1 team.... TCU played 5 ranked teams... Baylor 3)...

Baylor, TCU and Oregon have the top 3 offenses with Ohio State in 4th..... Alabama has one of the best defenses.... Florida State is not even close....

So, I agree with Alabama and Oregon.... I can see Ohio State, but barely....(I would have chosen TCU or Baylor).... but Florida State should not be there even though they were undefeated... Marshall is an 11-1 team and they were not even in the running.... because they are not one of the best teams....

BTW, I would like to see more teams in the playoffs, but all that would do is make the argument be who is the best 2 loss team is.... or even 3 loss team.... someone will always be 'left out'.... look at basketball and even though they now have 68 teams somebody is complaining they should have been included....

but Florida State should not be there even though they were undefeated...

Yet they have been rated in the top 4 all season. So far they have managed perfection during the last season (or is it the last 2 seasons?). When they add two more victories to the 2014 record, it will still reflect perfection. Evidently you can not get more perfect than perfect.

Why they bothered to have weekly rankings I have no idea...TCU was ranked in the top 4 won impressively and was dropped a few places? It's as if it was a "reality" show :p

Even an 8 team playoff will have controversy if there is a selection committee. Basketball has it and they have 64 teams that make the dance

Thank goodness we have a college playoff system which has eliminated controversy.:dance:

Yet they have been rated in the top 4 all season. So far they have managed perfection during the last season (or is it the last 2 seasons?). When they add two more victories to the 2014 record, it will still reflect perfection. Evidently you can not get more perfect than perfect.

IMO a perfect record does not represent 'perfection'.... it just means they have not played someone who is better... I think that ends with their next game... and I would give 2 to 1 odds they cannot win the next two....

FSU maybe undefeated, but they won ugly all year. All the big games (Ga Tech) were won by three points or less. I think Ohio State should have beat out TCU and the top four were the best teams. I would love to see an Alabama vs Oregon National Championship game. Ducks have been spoiling for that match up for years. BTW, Roll Tide!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

....Even an 8 team playoff will have controversy if there is a selection committee. Basketball has it and they have 64 teams that make the dance

True, but it is a lot harder to make a case that the 9th team in the seedings would win a 3 game tournament than the 5th team would win a 2 game tournament. And while #1 are knocked off by teams seeded lower than 8 all the time the chance of a team ranked lower than 8th winning 3 games over higher ranked teams is very low.

Roll Tide!

Insightful. :D

Last edited:
Thank goodness we have a college playoff system which has eliminated controversy.:dance:

+1

If we had an 8 team playoff system, there would be controversy generated over who ended up #9. If we had a 16 team playoff system, there would be controversy generated over who ended up #17...

Controversy is what sells newspapers, generates web hits and tweets, gets TV show viewers and radio listeners, and generates forum posts. :)

Back
Top Bottom