Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Was your career in the same field as your undergrad major?.
yes 35 50.00%
no 27 38.57%
didn't go to college 8 11.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never had the opportunity to go to college. That's another story.

It's funny, I loved biology and literature; I aced those classes. Math, algebra, geometry...not so much....

I became a numbers gal anyway and was successful.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

!

I voted "didn't go to college" because I went from high school into a six year medical school course (in the old country). So my Bachelor of Medicine was my primary degree.

10 years later I got an MD (like a PhD, with a thesis) and 10 years after that, an MBA. So I guess that was a change in educational focus!

Which reminds me, to keep this up I need to get another degree next year....NOT!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
In high school I selected a specific major in science. I only applied to colleges that had that as a major.
Now that I think about it, I selected my major during high school early on too. I took classes in high school that I knew would transfer over into the only university program that I applied to. During senior year I actually enrolled half time at the university taking classes towards the degree in the field that I am in now. Even my summer job when I was 16 (land surveying fieldwork) was as close as I could get to my field today (for a 16 year old).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Didn't go to collage but got two associate degrees. One in mechanical engineering and one in electrical engineering. I spent 35 years working in the engineering field.

Here is the kicker....tuition cost...the Associate in Mechanical Engineering cost....< $600 and the Associate in Electrical Engineering cost < $900. The day I got out of school I was broke but didn't owe any money either. Thanks to a part time job and that nice guy GI BILL.
Did it all without a credit card too.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I was always on a career path called, “retirement.” Yes, of course, majors in French and Psychology were helpful. I didn’t vote.

Seriously, Psych. is helpful in many areas, and I did spend the last 16 years of my pre-retirement life working with clients who were at crisis points in their lives.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:21 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

My degree is in Accounting, and I'm an accountant in industry after a few years in public accounting.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Started college in Engineering. Dropped out in 1975. Worked at 2 civil engineering firms since 1975. Went back to school and got business degree in 1990. My work involves business and engineering, so college focus areas have helped.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I saw the video of “Revolutionary Road” last week and immediately devoured the book. Set in 1955, the DH worked for a thinly veiled megacorp called Knox Business Machines and he and his DW have a scheme to escape that life and the suburbs that go with it. Well, I worked for a megacorp called [blank]BM and knew beyond a doubt I had to escape.* I remember a friend (at the coffee shop) saying, “it’s not the computers themselves that are interesting, it’s what you put into the computers.” It took me about 15 years to gravitate toward a job a psych. major would enjoy & find interesting, paralegal in family law appeals. The clients there are usually already divorced but can’t let go; I got to see some of them go thru the stages of grief, fall into deep depressions, and do all sorts of nasty things to each other.... A few of them could be helped.

*Odd coincidence, in the thread about Eugene, I mentioned a kook I knew who moved there; I met him at [blank]BM, and then met him again thru a friend, he was in rebellion against his father who I later met in yet another context. He and I had a nice chat about how we mutually & separately escaped that megacorp.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BS in Computer Science. Only field I have ever worked in.

Attended the summer between junior and senior high school years. Engr 102 covered general engineering principals, slide rule, and Fortran (using WatFiv). After the Fortran class I knew what I wanted to do (although I have never used Fortran professionally). The university required CS students to choose emphasis with extra courses in math, or accounting, or Computer Science. I did all three. Finished in 13 quarters.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Degree: accounting
Career path: banking then Fed Govt in financial instituion examination and regulation
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #31

Got a BS in psych. Either was going to go on all the way to a Ph.D. or go into sales. After a year of deliberation, decided I was more extroverted and to go into sales. So, in some ways psych is appropriate for that career or so all the interviews I had waaaay back then said. I did okay--but only because I'm a workaholic, which put me shoulders above many of my fellow (lazy) salespeople.
If I had to do it all over again, tho, I would get an Econ/Finance degree or go onto an MBA. Ain't hindsight grand?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #32

Degree: Chemistry
Career: IT
Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #33

I voted yes because yes is the closest available answer for me.

Chemical Engineering Major - Computer Science Minor
Worked in Software Development since graduation in 1982.

Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Don't know if I should vote Yes or No.

Started college in 1968 with a dual major: Math & CS.
I did well in CS class, but never could get a program to run because of those stupid punch cards.
Ended up with BA in Math.

In 1982, took the PACE and was hired by USAF to be a computer programmer; they trained me (much better card punch machines).

Retired in 2004.