Join Early Retirement Today

Column on Kaderlis
Old 12-07-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Column on Kaderlis

http://money.aol.com/fool/investing/...30130609990001

The list of celebrity ERs is growing...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Column on Kaderlis
Old 12-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

wildcat,
We have been around for years. Perhaps you need to get out more...

Many on here know us well...well, at least they know of us...

Cheers,
Billy
Old 12-08-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for getting the word out on your lifestyle--it is a great article that will see a lot of action at our Christmas get-togethers with friends & family, as will your excellent e-book and fabulous pictures. And helps explain why we give modest but thoughtful gifts each year to everyone...we want to get to where you are!
Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:30 AM   #4

I forwarded the link to a couple of people who could use it...

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
wildcat,
We have been around for years. Perhaps you need to get out more...

Many on here know us well...well, at least they know of us...

Cheers,
Billy
The article indicates that 24k is the average you spend during a year. Where did you go during your mostly costly year and what did it cost? On the flip side, where did you go during your most economical year and what did it cost?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 PM   #6

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to address this, wildcat.* *

Sometimes it's not a matter of 'where we went' that was so economical, but 'how we lived.'

There have been times in our retirement that we traded our services for 'free rent' or 'free room and board.'* As you know, Billy and I used to own a restaurant, and we love to cook and serve folks. There have been many times where we have cooked for friends (and their friends! sometimes doing holiday parties, reunions, etc.) in exchange for staying on their property, in a cabin or apartment or whatever.* We have been able to do this all over the world and all over the US.

Being early retirees, lots of our friends are still working, so when they would return home from work, meals were ready to go and the table was set. Let me just say, these meals were not baloney sandwiches! People were so grateful to have someone do the food shopping, cooking and clean up (like a live in cook) that they have 'begged' us to return any time!* 8)

Sometimes we* have done "End of Life Care" for family members. Again, we shopped for food, cooked, went through their insurance and medical billings for them, took them to their doctor appointments and so on...* and at these times, there was no additional capital outlay for day to day living. They loved having us there, and we loved providing them a service.* *

We have never been big consumers and our personal infrastructure is simple. Also,we utilize our talents and abilities to contribute to those around us and as a source of entertainment and social connection. Since we don't have to hold down a job to pay for our lives, working in someone's garden or helping them paint the livingroom while we are staying in their home can be great fun! (and not a burden to do after a work day...)

No matter how you look at it, money spent is money spent. It's not that we plan our finances in that way, it's merely how we live our lives.

Sometimes we volunteer in local cultures (a great source of entertainment and learning!! - costs us no money...)

Look to your personal infrastructure. Do you have a lot of 'high end entertainment options?' What kind of talents and abilities can you 'trade' or offer to those around you?

Rid their computer of viruses, or walk their dog? House sit?* We have discussed these alternatives and ways to approach them in our book...

Hope this helps.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
www.RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Old 12-10-2005, 07:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to address this, wildcat.* *

Sometimes it's not a matter of 'where we went' that was so economical, but 'how we lived.'

There have been times in our retirement that we traded our services for 'free rent' or 'free room and board.'* As you know, Billy and I used to own a restaurant, and we love to cook and serve folks. There have been many times where we have cooked for friends (and their friends! sometimes doing holiday parties, reunions, etc.) in exchange for staying on their property, in a cabin or apartment or whatever.* We have been able to do this all over the world and all over the US.

Hope this helps.

Akaisha

Thanks. It does help. Sounds like what most would refer to as "freelance work". Probably not "work" to you if it is something you enjoy.* I am still interested in what area of the world you would consider the most economical to live or travel. My guess......Thailand.*
Old 12-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #8

DOG51 said:
Quote:
Thanks. It does help. Sounds like what most would refer to as "freelance work". Probably not "work" to you if it is something you enjoy.* I am still interested in what area of the world you would consider the most economical to live or travel. My guess......Thailand.
You are right in that we don't consider it work at all. It is a manner in which we live. We live very cooperatively with others and try to contribute as much as we can. We do not take from our environments, you know what I mean? I mean, if I see dirty dishes in the sink, I wash them!* * If everyone is cranky and their blood sugar is outta whack, I feed 'em!

To us, it's fun. It's not work because I don't have to show up at 8 am in my dress suit or uniform, I'm not going to get fired, I don't have to worry about a work review, and I don't have a mortgage -- You get the idea. It's a give and take everywhere we go.

It might surprise you, but the cheapest place we live is in our home base in the States.* *

That fact surprised even us!* We keep numbers religiously, constantly doing the figuring, and our "simply delux amenity filled lifestyle" that we have in the States is actually the cheapest. Simply amazing...*

Akaisha
Old 12-11-2005, 04:06 AM   #9

Quote:
DOG51 said:

It might surprise you, but the cheapest place we live is in our home base in the States.* *

That fact surprised even us!* We keep numbers religiously, constantly doing the figuring, and our "simply delux amenity filled lifestyle" that we have in the States is actually the cheapest. Simply amazing...*

Akaisha
Well, I'm surprised. Tell us more (other than "buy the book")

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #10

Hi JG.

You can go online right now and do a Google search on Active Adult Commutites, Retirement Communities, Del Web Communities, Cal-Am, Pulte Home Adult Communites, etc. and get a bucketload of info on where to live/buy into these types of places.

The communities can be as small as a few dozen homes or thousands. You can choose from Park models, converted (OHMIGOD) trailers* , condos, apartments, duplexes, villas, or single family homes. The prices run the gamut depending on your desires/needs/wants.

Many of these places are like 'mini cities or mini towns' where there are transporation options offered to residents, work out rooms, computer rooms, recreation halls where they hire live bands for dancing and give parties on regular occasions. There are active lifestyle options, WiFi, hobby rooms, tennis courts, swimming pools, weekly (current) movies for $1, club house availability for your own function and so on.

In our personal situation, we have all of this, plus we are walking distance to many grocery stores (or just a bicycle ride away). We have access to amazing fresh food options -- seafood, fruits, vegetables, poultry, lamb, beef, pork, gourmet/boutique foods...* and the cost of living (important to us) is low.

As we explain in our book One simply needs to know what they are looking for and what is important to them. Finding it then becomes simpler, and more direct.

Hope this helps!

Akaisha
Old 12-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Sometimes we have done "End of Life Care" for family members. Again, we shopped for food, cooked, went through their insurance and medical billings for them, took them to their doctor appointments and so on... and at these times, there was no additional capital outlay for day to day living. They loved having us there, and we loved providing them a service.
I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but do you mean for terminally ill people? I can see how this would be a big demand for people who don't really need in-home nurses, but it's too early for Hospice. If the person became an invalid, though, that would be a long row to hoe emotionally and in time spent working. You say for family members, but have you done this with non-family? I see a lot of opportunity there, but I'm not sure if I personally have the mettle for it, and while it would be a cheap way to live there may not be much free time.

Thanks for sharing!
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #12

The End of Life Care we did was for our parents (3 of them), although I have also tended to other family members for weeks at a time...* We didn't do it 'to cut down on expenses' but rather because we wanted to spend time with them during their last days.

I see an immense opportunity in this area as well.* My vision of it is more along the lines of a broader concept of assisted living.* As I mentioned above with the Active Adult Communities - there could be communities of people that might need help with meal delivery, aid in compiling and organizing their medical bills, a resident nurse on site, transportation offered to Dr.'s appointments (just call in to the office, set up the time for pickup, etc.) housecleaning services, daily check ins to see if they are ok, water their plants, and so on.

The folks could stay in their own homes for as long as they can - perhaps until they are no longer ambulatory or need Hospice -- and can maintain some sense of self respect and comfort.

Even if there would not be any 'community' as such developed, any of the above services would be a terrific business to start.

Being a helper with the medical billings - going through them on a regular basis, organizing them for the family keeping track of all that paperwork - would have a huge appeal.*

Having a transport service (like LiftLine) available would also be valuable.
Take them to the grocery store, to the hairdressers, the doc's whatever.

Even organizing all the services available for a person in need could be done by someone who is service oriented. Get all the phone numbers, services listed, names of the people to contact in case the ill person needs help --

It's a great opportunity for someone who wants to start a business.* Hopefully the liability insurances would kill the project too soon...* :P

With the aging of the Baby Boomers, this need for services will increase. Someone will make great money doing this.

Akaisha