Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd look at Chevy Equinox or Chevy Trax.....My Equinox was totaled by a car that hit it while stopped at about 35 mph......4 teenagers in the Equinox, no one hurt.....could not believe how safe the SUV was.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Nobody should or can talk you into a CR-V, if you guys don't like it then that's all that matters. But the whole "vehicle class" thing is very arbitrary and more useful to car dealers than buyers. After all, at least one of the vehicles on your "top 4" list is bigger than the CR-V. For ref:
................................weight............ ........Wheelbase
BMW X1...................3660........................1 05
CR-V.........................3358.................... ..103.1
HR-V.........................2888.................... ..102.8
Sub Crosstrek..........3109 ......................103.7

Yes, the RDX would be bigger:
RDX...........................3737................ .......106
Thanks for this. We could've done this research, but . I showed it to her, we might take another look at the CRV when we go back to a Honda store.

For whatever reason, the X1 doesn't LOOK as big and "boxy" as some of the others, though the 16s are bigger than the old more hatch-back like X1.

As to the Chevys: I drove an Equinox and liked the car, but it's way too big. The Trax just doesn't appeal, but I appreciate the input!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had a 02 Escape for 6 months. After going through the lemon laws Ford did give our money back. Great vehicle if you never drove on a dirt road. Don't know if they ever fixed their issue.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

02? Ancient history. That was two generations ago.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Thanks for this. We could've done this research, but . I showed it to her, we might take another look at the CRV when we go back to a Honda store. ....
CRV was our second choice (to the Outback). Nice vehicle.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #26

Did a bit more digging into dimensions. The CR-V is four inches longer than the X1 overall, a little bit wider, and 2 inches taller. So we're not totally crazy in thinking it was bigger, but perhaps it's seeing that compared to the X1 vs. comparing it side-by-side to the HRV (which is almost a foot shorter, 2 inches narrower and an inch less tall) shows that the CRV isn't much bigger than the "class" we like. The Lexus (already more or less ruled out) are somewhat bigger, overall, but with less cargo capacity.

Looking at all the specs in spreadsheet form against each other maybe opens the door to the Mazda CX-5 as well, as the CX-3 just lacks useful space.

Thanks for the push to compare with the spreadsheet. I think it's informative.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Keep us informed on how things go. We've found that driving a vehicle (especially parking it and getting a feel for outward visibility) helps us evaluate how "big" it really feels. Vehicles of similar size and weight can have decidedly different feels.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:24 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Did a bit more digging into dimensions. The CR-V is four inches longer than the X1 overall, a little bit wider, and 2 inches taller. So we're not totally crazy in thinking it was bigger, but perhaps it's seeing that compared to the X1 vs. comparing it side-by-side to the HRV (which is almost a foot shorter, 2 inches narrower and an inch less tall) shows that the CRV isn't much bigger than the "class" we like. The Lexus (already more or less ruled out) are somewhat bigger, overall, but with less cargo capacity.

Looking at all the specs in spreadsheet form against each other maybe opens the door to the Mazda CX-5 as well, as the CX-3 just lacks useful space.

Thanks for the push to compare with the spreadsheet. I think it's informative.
I went through a similar exercise when we bought the Outback in that DW wanted a Forester. To look at them they seem similar in size except the Forester is more boxy and perhaps a bit smaller.

Outback had 4" longer wheelbase, 9" longer overall, 2" wider and 2" lower. Interior (headroom, legroom, et al) were all within an inch or so of each other and clearance was about the same. So we went with the Outback because we liked the styling better and it is a tad larger and seems to ride a bit nicer due the the longer wheelbase and is a couple hundred pounds heavier.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:09 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I went through a similar exercise when we bought the Outback in that DW wanted a Forester. To look at them they seem similar in size except the Forester is more boxy and perhaps a bit smaller.

Outback had 4" longer wheelbase, 9" longer overall, 2" wider and 2" lower. Interior (headroom, legroom, et al) were all within an inch or so of each other and clearance was about the same. So we went with the Outback because we liked the styling better and it is a tad larger and seems to ride a bit nicer due the the longer wheelbase and is a couple hundred pounds heavier.

One thing to remember is that a few inches here and a few there can make a car much bigger.... it is really surprising how much volume you can add by making the car a couple of inches wider...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One thing to remember is that a few inches here and a few there can make a car much bigger.... it is really surprising how much volume you can add by making the car a couple of inches wider...

You can really see that looking at the HR-V vs the CR-V and the X1. Part of our limitation is garage space. We'd like to keep both cars in there, unlike most of our neighbors who park one in the street and one in the garage. But as mentioned, she's also petite so no desire for a land yacht either (thankfully!).
Old 02-27-2016, 12:23 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't see the Mazda CX-5 mentioned yet. We are also currently looking to replace our 2005 Nissan Murano and seriously considering the Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring SUV.

Edmunds Automotive ranks it pretty high and says "The Honda CR-V is the only other alternative to receive an Edmunds "A" rating and matches the Mazda CX-5 for price and fuel economy. The CR-V beats the Mazda for cargo capacity but can't compete in overall performance."

Edmunds.com Review is under road tests.

Anyone have any experiences with this Mazda? We are fairly certain it's the one we'll purchase.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
seriously considering the Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring SUV.
Although I'm a dyed-in-the-wool CR-V owner, I was introduced to this car a couple of months ago when DW had it on her short list. Although she ended up getting an HR-V, I was extremely impressed by the CX-5. I'll likely consider it when I'm ready for a new one in a few years.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscik View Post
We really like our ford C-max hybrid. Ticks all the boxes (including leather heated seats in SE trim!) except the 4wd option. With the current low gas prices hybrids can be bought much more cheaply than just a little while ago.
+1

I bought a C-Max in August 2015 and love it. Getting about 42mpg with mostly stop and go city driving. The seats are adjustable and sit quite high, and the windshield is huge and has great sightlines -- much better than the Prius X, which made me feel even shorter than i am.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #34

Quote:
I don't see the Mazda CX-5 mentioned yet. We

Anyone have any experiences with this Mazda? We are fairly certain it's the one we'll purchase.
My daughter has had her CX 5 for a year now and loves it. She has my 2 young grandchildren, so 2 car seats and adequate room in the cargo area makes for a practical car. And the gas mileage is good and car handles well.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't see the Mazda CX-5 mentioned yet. We are also currently looking to replace our 2005 Nissan Murano and seriously considering the Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring SUV.
Mazdas in general do have a reputation for being fun to drive. CR says 74% of 2016 CX-5 owners would buy the car again, and it has a predicted "very good" reliability.

For the 2016 CR-V: 72% would buy again, predicted reliability: "Average (reported reliability of the CR-V took a hit with the 2015 redesign, in prior years it was "Excellent")

For the 2016 HR-V: They don't have sufficient owner feedback yet.

Some folks don't much like Consumer Reports, but I think their info is worth considering, along with everything else.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Over the last 13 yrs we have had 4 Foresters, 1 Outback, and two Mazda's.

Love the Foresters visibility and safety. That's why we got them for our teens. Wife graduated from the Forester to the Outback - more plush, quieter, comfortable.

Lesson learned for us at least Subaru's are expensive to maintain. The 2003 and 2007 Foresters ate cash with many repairs, including engine replacements. I think the engine remains the same today so be careful on engine oil leak/head gasket issues.

I drove the Mazda's in the family. Currently drive a 2014 AWD GT CX-5 - it was my retirement car gift and by far the nicest car I have ever owned. Safety big factor. But also it's fun to drive. Driver sits high for good visibility in front but side and back visibility are nowhere near the Forester. Not issue for experienced driver and standard back up camera. Just enjoy driving it, great gas mileage, and fun, fun fun.

Good luck with your selection. I only considered top picks by Institute of Hghway Safety crash tests. Your list is a good list.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a 2010 Mazda CX-7; I am really pleased. In 2013 they replaced with CX-5 which is a foot shorter and gets better gas mileage. I am not in market for new car for at least five years; however, I really like the CX-5.

Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:39 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I bought a 2020 Mazda CX-7;
Wow, the auto manufacturers are getting really aggressive in getting their newest models on the market...
Old 02-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Wow, the auto manufacturers are getting really aggressive in getting their newest models on the market...
I thought you needed a Delorean to travel into the future.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #40

Update to this:

We're getting closer to the final stages here. Probably looking at a June/July purchase. We're down to two of the originals and a new addition that's out of the "compact SUV" class:

- BMW X1 - the luxury entrant. Very nice, but is it worth $10K more than...
- Honda HRV - still concerned about the touchscreen UI, but love the capacity. Took a big hit this weekend when we went and looked at the 2016

- Toyota Prius Four.

DW entered this process wanting, essentially, a four-door hatchback with good cargo capacity, good fuel efficiency, and a sportyish look. We saw a 2016 Prius and thought it looked cool, so we went and checked it out.

While it's more expensive than the HR-V to get what we want on it, the 5-year CTO is about the same thanks to getting nearly double the gas mileage of the Honda. The interior is also nicer than the Honda, even considering the ridiculous Stormtrooper steering wheel and center console trim.

It may have not only squeezed the HRV out (depending on when the 2017 comes out and if they fix the touchscreen climate control issues), but it's opened our eyes to more of the hybrid class that's around. Coming soon:

- Hyundai Ioniq
- Kia Niro

Both of those promise close to Prius gas mileage, with reviews saying the Hyundai interior is the most "car like" instead of quirky. The Niro may be right in the wheel house as a hybrid well over 40 mpg, the right look and enough space to meet needs.

The question is: can we hold out until those come out? We have a pretty fixed timeline for a purchase, with August probably being the absolute latest we can go (and also being a good time to move on the 2016s), and I don't know that either the 2017 Ioniq or Niro will be for sale by then.

I have brought up the C-Max hybrid to her again as I recall all the recommendations here, but I think the bubble styling is going to kill that option as it did the previous Prius models and the current V.