Join Early Retirement Today

Computer Issue
Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Computer Issue

In the last week or so, my computer has started to mess up. Whenever I use Firefox or Internet Explorer, the computer will freeze every 5 minutes or for 1-2 minutes at a time. It is very annoying.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it? I know the best fix might be a complete system restoration but was hoping to avoid this if possible. My problems coincided with warning about my laptop battery going bad so I didn't know if the two issues might be related.

Thanks in advance for the help.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

How much memory does your computer have? Someone I know has a machine with just 512 Mb and it tends to choke like that when using Internet Explorer, too.

It's a little better when he uses Google Chrome; if memory is the problem then that might be worth trying.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Only in those two programs?

Which operating system?

How old is the computer?

It could be your system is just clogged and a restore will fix it. But, it could also be due to increased disk fragmentation (unlikely with pauses that big), failing sectors on your hard drive (especially if they're in the area where your operating system's page file lives), or memory that's going bad.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
Only in those two programs?

Which operating system?

How old is the computer?

It could be your system is just clogged and a restore will fix it. But, it could also be due to increased disk fragmentation (unlikely with pauses that big), failing sectors on your hard drive (especially if they're in the area where your operating system's page file lives), or memory that's going bad.

I don't really use my computer for much other than an internet connection but it has been freezing with Yahoo Messenger as well. The computer is an HP Pavillion and its just under 2 years old. I think it has a couple gigs of memory but not sure exactly how much.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #5

My guess would be, maybe, bad memory. It's been a long time since I've had to diagnose bad mem, but maybe try here: How to detect RAM problems to stabilize Vista | ZDNet... the instructions are at the bottom of the article.

Note, I just checked and, at least on my version of Windows 7, the steps will work on Windows 7 as well.

edited to add: I suppose maybe memory could have been affected by a failing battery. A faulty power supply has cost me some memory in the past.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Try clearing the cache. I've seen a couple nasty problems get cured by doing this. Probably was some corrupt file causing things to get hung up. Not much to lose by trying it (just recent history and stuff), zero cost, and easy.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #7

Or you may have a malware infestation :-(

Malwarebytes is a good eradicator.

Good luck.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try stopping and turning off your computer, then start it up again (if you haven't done that). The idea here is to mend a possible problem caused by memory being designated as in use even though it is not actually being made use of. It's pretty common. If that's it, just getting a fresh start may fix things.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk View Post
In the last week or so, my computer has started to mess up. Whenever I use Firefox or Internet Explorer, the computer will freeze every 5 minutes or for 1-2 minutes at a time. It is very annoying.

Does anyone know what might be causing this and how to fix it? I know the best fix might be a complete system restoration but was hoping to avoid this if possible. My problems coincided with warning about my laptop battery going bad so I didn't know if the two issues might be related.

Thanks in advance for the help.
This works for me. keep it simple. Do the easy thing first.

1. Do a simple restore. You mention the problem started last week.
Restore back, about 2 weeks. Use the Hp, built in restore software.

2. If that does not work. go to google.
Type in your computer symptoms. You will find others with the same
problem.
You will find many suggestions. Pick the simplist one first.

Again, do a simple restore. (go back a couple of weeks). You don't have to erase everything. (that's the last resort).
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a similar problem with the cursor occasionally freezing up. I have found that putting the computer to sleep and waking it up again (which I can do with the sleep button) frees up the cursor. This is not a permanent fix, but it avoids having to reboot the computer at an inconvenient time.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Well may be the solution to my problem was just posting on this forum. The problem is gone today. Oddly enough today was the first time in about 2 weeks that I didn't have a warning about my battery so may be the issue is related to the failing battery.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk View Post
Well may be the solution to my problem was just posting on this forum. The problem is gone today. Oddly enough today was the first time in about 2 weeks that I didn't have a warning about my battery so may be the issue is related to the failing battery.
I used my telekineses powers to remotely fix and defrag your laptop. I also remotely debited your account for my services. No need to thank me, you already did.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

There are a number of issues between updates to windows, and corresponding updates to Adobe Flash. Unlike other programs many times Flash does not advise you that an update is available/required. Given that the issue affects both Explorer and Firefox, I suspect that this may be a cause. Try to go to adobe flash website and download the latest version. You have to have browsers off in order to complete the installation.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:10 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing I did recently which has helped the load time for my web browser was to carefully note the names of the websites a web page accesses often to load all the graphics, pictures, ads, and video feeds. I went into Tools/Internet Options/Security/Restricted Sites and added a few of them to the list and voila - the load times sped up quite a bit.

But I agree that a full or nearly full hard drive as well as insufficient RAM can slow things down. In the case of a hard drive, mine was not only nearly full but had various errors on it according to a manufacturer's diagnostic program. When I replaced the 9-year-old, ailing HD last September with a newer one which had 100 GB more memory (only cost me $50), all my problems went away, including some I did not know were caused by the ailing HD.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote