Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

If the computer has a 'quick boot', turn it off. Make sure the computer is checking ram; a stick may have died and 'quick boot' causes it to skip this. I've had to fix this a lot lately. Otherwise as previously posted... cmos battery.

Oh....

Laptop:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...817&CatId=4937

Desktop:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...Sku=S445-10076
Coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This caught my eye:

Costco - Acer AM5910 Core i5-650 3.2GHz Desktop High-Def Audio 5.1 Multi-in-One Card Reader

Seems like it would be plenty adequate for my needs. Any opinions?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:32 PM   #43

This model certainly should give you plenty of gaming and multimedia capability,definitely overkill for your listed needs for sure!. At this pricepoint, it lacks a DVI or HDMI output, only has VGA which is odd. I had trouble finding much in terms of reviews. This is also sold on Amazon (only 2 reviews) and J&R music world. If you get it from Costco, you'll get the best in return policy from them. If you're looking to get Norton 360, frys has it on sale now FRYS.com*|*SYMANTEC
for $29.99 after 2 rebates or starting Sunday at Staples for $39.99 w/o rebates (also have a $5 off $50 coupon in the store flyer). They also have some lower cost desktops to look at too.

What ever happened with the old system...were you able to determine the main problem and did it get resolved?
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #44

I did a quick search and found very few reviews on this PC, it's also sold at Amazon and J&R music world. It's billed as a multimedia and gaming powerhouse unit, but it only has a vga output. This is a bit surprising for this cpu and price point, it should give you DVI and/or HDMI output for digital TV hookup. If you get it at Costco, you'll have the best return policy. By the way, Norton 360 is on sale now at Frys for $29.99 after 2 rebates, tomorrow it's on sale at Staples for $39.00 with no rebates. There's also a $5 off $50 coupon in store ad if you have more to buy. Check out the HP computer sale too. I was eyeballing the HP p6510f (AMD quad 630, 4mb ram, 750 hd), only because it's a cheaper model and I have $30 Staples rewards money to blow on something.

Did you ever isolate the problem on the old pc and did you get it resolved?
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #45

No, I haven't got anywhere. It is screwed up now for about the first 20-30 min. after start-up and then it seems more or less OK. I think I give up.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

ronin, the Acer looks fine to me and I'll repeat what dimsumkid said, no DVI or HDMI outputs.

On DVI output with a good graphics card you can get something like 2560x1600 resolution.

So I saw this on Dell, if you still trust Dell.

Inspiron 580s The last option is exactly the same as the Acer but it also has an ATI Radeon graphics card with 1GB. Pretty flash.

Only thing I see different is the Dell is a small form factor.

Just another option at the same price.

ATI Radeon specs
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #47

I just saw this one as well:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pav...&skuId=9963692

Seems to have the HD thingie. I just have a basic monitor and don't plan on needing hi def video anyways.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #48

Up and running on the new computer after marathon install, config, transfer, chat w/tech support, look for the cup of hemlock day yesterday.

Have to say it is clearly so much better now. Going to take a while to figure it all out. But appreciate everyone's help.

Zero, that Windows Easy Transfer was a real good tip. Definitely worth the $40 bucks for the cable and software.

The only problem I haven't rectified is that when I plug my record player I use for converting vinyl to digital into the line in port on the sound card, I get a nasty noise out the audio output over the speakers/headphones. So unplugging it leaves the sound OK. Going to try another device today to if it's the turntable or a quirk with the sound card. Managed to diagnose it myself after the 2nd hour on line with the second manufacturer's tech support person, while they were probably scrolling thru their script for further useless advice. Oh well.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #49

Doh, I arrived here too late. After your last post "slow for 20-30 minutes, then OK", I was going to say, simply turn off all your anti-virus software. It doesn't work anyway, to a pretty close approximation, and startup is when its hassle/value ratio is highest.

I ran a network of 1800 PCs for 19 years with no anti-virus software, and at no point did we ever lose any user data to malware. We got hit by the major worms, MS-Blast and Sasser, in the 2002/3 time frame IIRC, but of course those exploited OS weaknesses and no anti-virus software could stop them.

A/V software is a bit like those drugs which don't fix anything, so the pharmaceutical industry has to invent conditions which need treating.

My sister upgraded her A/V software from AVG Free (fairly useless but fairly harmless) to AGV Full. Result: her PC took 15 minutes to boot. I disactivated the antivirus and it worked like a champ. I then found an article for her which pointed out that the major aim of most viruses is not to harm your computer, but to steal its CPU and network resources. It said "this can reduce your PC to a crawl". So in effect, she'd changed a chance of her PC being made unusable, into a certainty.

(By the way, I realise that this sounds like a crank argument. But I have witnesses to prove it, and I promise not to look like a crank on any other subject.)
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
The only problem I haven't rectified is that when I plug my record player I use for converting vinyl to digital into the line in port on the sound card, I get a nasty noise out the audio output over the speakers/headphones. So unplugging it leaves the sound OK. Going to try another device today to if it's the turntable or a quirk with the sound card. Managed to diagnose it myself after the 2nd hour on line with the second manufacturer's tech support person, while they were probably scrolling thru their script for further useless advice. Oh well.
What type of connection are you using for the phono out?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #51

The turntable has 2 rca jacks, red and white, which go into a cable that reduces it to a single mini-plug going into the blue port for line-in on the sound card. Interestingly, this morning I noticed the same rhythmic groaning sound lightly coming from within the computer tower itself now although the in-plug is pulled. I disconnected the turntable from the power strip and the noise disappeared. Somehow it is feeding a signal, even though it is turned off. Thinking a new turntable might solve it.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
The turntable has 2 rca jacks, red and white, which go into a cable that reduces it to a single mini-plug going into the blue port for line-in on the sound card. Interestingly, this morning I noticed the same rhythmic groaning sound lightly coming from within the computer tower itself now although the in-plug is pulled. I disconnected the turntable from the power strip and the noise disappeared. Somehow it is feeding a signal, even though it is turned off. Thinking a new turntable might solve it.
Before you buy a new turntable - the turntable needs a preamp which might not be in (probably isn't in) the sound card. They are not expensive - see here Amazon.com: phono preamp usb: Electronics

The other sound you are hearing might be a problem with the ground. Could be either the computer or the turntable, but you need to check both - and the outlet as well.

A couple of articles (old and new) on vinyl transfer
Rip Your Records - PCWorld
Record Music from a Vinyl Record to Your Computer
Old 08-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #53

The turntable has a built-in preamp. I used it with my old computer with no problems. Outlet is on a newly installed circuit, grounded properly.

I am going to try running an extension cord to another outlet on a different circuit and see what happens.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
The turntable has a built-in preamp. I used it with my old computer with no problems. Outlet is on a newly installed circuit, grounded properly.

I am going to try running an extension cord to another outlet on a different circuit and see what happens.
Is it a low-level hum or a crackle-type noise?

Edited to add - if you're going to try another outlet, try plugging each into a different outlet on a different circuit.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #55

Quote:
This caught my eye:

Costco - Acer AM5910 Core i5-650 3.2GHz Desktop High-Def Audio 5.1 Multi-in-One Card Reader

Seems like it would be plenty adequate for my needs. Any opinions?
Out computer shopping now. This is a really good thread for such.
The above deal is enough to make me join Cosco except the above is way more than I need.

Still many questions. Graphic card or not. I have regretted not getting the graphic card in past computers. Flat screen or use the old boat anchor CRT?

Thanks all.

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:40 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Is it a low-level hum or a crackle-type noise?
Neither. A rhythmic, repetitive rasp. Thru the speakers it sounds like shoveling gravel then dropping it on the ground, a 1, 2... 1,2 kind of thing. Very odd.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #57
Administrator

Quote:
Neither. A rhythmic, repetitive rasp. Thru the speakers it sounds like shoveling gravel then dropping it on the ground, a 1, 2... 1,2 kind of thing. Very odd.
Weird. doesn't sound like a ground loop, but you never know. If it went away when you unplugged the turntable, then try separate circuits for the computer and turntable.

Maybe the preamp is having a problem.

It is cool that you're transferring the vinyl, though. What sw are you using?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Out computer shopping now. This is a really good thread for such.
The above deal is enough to make me join Cosco except the above is way more than I need.

Still many questions. Graphic card or not. I have regretted not getting the graphic card in past computers. Flat screen or use the old boat anchor CRT?

Thanks all.

Free to canoe
They still make CRTs? I thought they were against the law

graphics card - depends
flat screen - yes.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #59

It's called Cakewalk. Time consuming but cool to work down the stacks of records and hear some old stuff.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If the power cord for the turntable is not polarized, ie. one blade bigger than the other, try flipping it. Use same outlet as computer plugged into. It can be a ground loop. Might want to unplug and re-connect the rca connectors.