Join Early Retirement Today

Computers - Planning My Next Build
Old 12-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Computers - Planning My Next Build

Over the past couple of days, I've been planning my next computer build as the clock is ticking on my Win 7 system (as now this moment, 1126 days until security updates end for Win 7). That's still several years away but doesn't hurt to think ahead.

Of course, I can just wait and buy a system pre-built instead of reinventing the wheel. But that'll be no fun.

Not sure if I'm gonna try and reuse old parts (cpu, ram) or go for newer.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
what chip are you going to put in there?
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Any machine will only run as fast as the slower components are able to service requests.

A dejected group of performance folks left a message to all who came after them. Found scribbled on the walls of a large hardware vendors benchmark center.

"All computers wait at the same speed"!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
what processor chip are you going to put in there?

If I go cheap (as in already have the extra cpu) I'll put in a Athlon 64 ​X2 5000+ chip.

But if I want to go new, thinking about going quad core with a FM2+ chip.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Kudos! I haven't built my own from scratch, but I have replaced/updated/added a number of components in the custom builds I purchase. I'm pretty comfortable with that, but not with swapping motherboards, etc... I am planning an upgrade to a new system in 2017, but am currently shovelling coal into an E6700 Core2 duo. I do a lot cpu/gpu intensive photo and video processing, and would like to get a better overall system.
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

You'll end up building a machine when in reality you could have gotten the same thing prebuilt for the same price or less.

Unless you're a hardcore gamer there is no point. Get a machine...throw a solid state hard drive in...rejoice.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use to build my own desktops. I figured that they would be more up-gradable/serviceable as time went on. Basically trading in time spent up front vs time spent dealing with it down the line.

For probably at least 10 years now, I have switched to laptops instead of desktops. Obviously I don't build them from scratch, but I do tend to buy off lease enterprise laptops (ie Dell D6xx series).

The ability to get cheap replacement parts for these high volume standardized machines has allowed me to keep them running way past their prime.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
You'll end up building a machine when in reality you could have gotten the same thing prebuilt for the same price or less.

Unless you're a hardcore gamer there is no point. Get a machine...throw a solid state hard drive in...rejoice.
I say building, especially from scratch and not using already owned, spare parts will most likely cost more. But the cost is offset to an extent from the knowledge of future self repairs.

There are folks who if the DVD burner goes out, time to call The Geek squad. That was me many many years ago when the power supply went out on an old Tandy 1000 (I think that was the model, a long time ago) and ended up getting that repaired and paying the labor vs just doing that myself.

But as you said, just getting pre-made machine is pretty tempting, especially when the build encounters some hurdles.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Part of my recent excitement of doing a build is I found this really cool site (for those who like this sort of thing ) that allows you to pick and choose what parts you have/want and get an idea of a system build before actually going and buy parts.

I haven't put in a all the parts to a possible system build yet, but there is a nice parts compatibility checker.

Also, fun to look at what other folks built (from very bare and cheap to nice and fancy).

Feel free to take a look:

https://pcpartpicker.com/
Old 12-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #10

I built my last couple of machines, but I was into gaming then and it allowed me to optimize performance. But, now that I'm not into gaming I still have a desktop that is more than capable of running current productivity software that isn't nearly as demanding as the best games were around eight years ago.

Will follow this thread with interest to discover whether it's still worth building today. OTOH, it's a fun hobby to mess around with building, although desktops have gotten so cheap I'm not sure if a low-end build will be cost-effective or not.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

I rebuilt an existing system a few months back by replacing the CPU and MB. Upgraded from an aging AMD six core 1100T to a new AMD eight core FX-8350 which required a new MB. I also replaced the case in order to avail myself of front USB-3 ports. All the rest of my build was fine, having been upgraded gradually over the years. I sold the old CPU on Ebay for almost the same price as the new one. I was worried about Windows complaining about the new MB and making it difficult to (re)activate the operating system. But it was pretty painless - just had to go online.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I rebuilt an existing system a few months back by replacing the CPU and MB. Upgraded from an aging AMD six core 1100T to a new AMD eight core FX-8350 which required a new MB. I also replaced the case in order to avail myself of front USB-3 ports. All the rest of my build was fine, having been upgraded gradually over the years. I sold the old CPU on Ebay for almost the same price as the new one. I was worried about Windows complaining about the new MB and making it difficult to (re)activate the operating system. But it was pretty painless - just had to go online.
AMD six core to AMD eight core . Here I am feeling that my duo core is still pretty spiffy.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
AMD six core to AMD eight core . Here I am feeling that my duo core is still pretty spiffy.
I do a fair bit of video editing so the extra cores come in handy.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ten years ago, I started a PC repair business part time that quickly turned into a PC building business. We built hundreds of machines and installed them into new apartment complex offices being built in Houston, Tx and surrounding areas. We also built custom machines for individuals and set up networks (cabling, racking equipment, MS Server installs, etc). I got real tired of it in a few years and sold the business.

I built my own family's machines and got sick of the calls every time something went wrong (Dad's tech support). Last year, I priced some components to build a new desktop for me and was surprised at how cheaply I could buy a pre-built box that was just as good and already came with the OS. So I bought a "refurbished" Dell for DW and a leftover Lenovo for me and upgraded the HDD's with a solid state drives and added more RAM in each machine. Both machines are very fast and were pretty inexpensive.

Maybe I just got burned out from years of building computers to buy pre-built?

(The thrill is gone, so to say).
Old 12-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Depends on the workload. Multiple cores may speed up workloads that are properly multithreaded, or multiple concurrent processes. Some apps run slower on hardware with multiple cores! Obviously memory and disk have to be adequately sized.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
I do a fair bit of video editing so the extra cores come in handy.

The extra cores makes a lot of sense. I thought maybe to get the edge deep into gaming.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

So, I went ahead an did the chore of entering my possible future PC parts build using mostly parts I already own. I'm in no rush to actually shop and build.

If you are into the computer build thing, feel free to look and comment:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/88JpQV (my parts list)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

you sure about that cpu "Athlon 64 ​X2 5000+" and DDR2 ram. That setup is over 10 years old.
alaska55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
you sure about that cpu "Athlon 64 ​X2 5000+" and DDR2 ram. That setup is over 10 years old.
Not sure. That's if I go the cheap route since I already have them on hand since my main uses are simple web browsing and stuff like Turbotax. All the items marked as "purchased" on the parts list I already own and got in the past.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

PCGamer has custom build specs for several grades of expense linked off this page: Build guide: the best high-end gaming PC | PC Gamer

In 2011 I treated myself to a ground-up custom gaming rig, assembled by me. Fun experience and still kicking, albeit with newer gen SSDs. I based my specs off that year's PCGamer custom rig article. No liquid cooling - too much trouble and I only do tame overclocking.