Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Then by all means, don't carry one. But don't try to impose your views on responsible, law-abiding citizens who feel differently.
Hey, wouldn't giving that up that take a lot of the fun out of life? What is democracy for, anyway?

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I suspect that 95% of the world would find this discussion absurd. The US really is an outlier on this topic.
I was duly warned, so I wonīt get into topic
Old 01-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #43

But I notice that a few of the posters subtly sustain opinions that I wouldnīt have dared to begin to express...... and apparently have NOT been warned.... Of course Iīm not a US citizen But Iīm almost the closest thing!

I wouldnīt be surprised if I get a SECOND warning as a result of this comment. How many have I got left before getting the sack?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Then by all means, don't carry one. But don't try to impose your views on responsible, law-abiding citizens who feel differently.
Aren't you imposing your view? Are folks that don't want to carry or have guns not responsible?

Are you telling me that on this forum people don't have the right to tell their views. Maybe we should close the forum up?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Vicente, I can almost guarantee the moderators are all peering at this thread with one hand posed on the Porky button, just waiting for the gun to go off...

Edit to add: And I'm pretty sure I just heard the distinctive sound of a hammer being cocked...
Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #46

REW: Be kind enough to tell this ignoramus what does "Porky" -in this/similar context- mean. Itīs not the first time this expression comes up in different threads....
Old 01-22-2011, 11:22 AM   #47

Porky is a famous US movie star who shows up when the mods bring down the curtain on a thread - like this one: That's All, Folks!
Old 01-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
REW: Be kind enough to tell this ignoramus what does "Porky" -in this/similar context- mean. Itīs not the first time this expression comes up in different threads....
Porky Pig is a cartoon character with a stammer who used to end Looney Tune cartoon television programs by saying "Th-th-that's all, folks!" the moderators often use a YouTube of Porky's performance when they close a thread (I won't post it here because it will look like we are closing this thread! ).

No good would come of the BWE family having guns, but if we lived out in the boonies on a big piece of land maybe we'd keep a firearm under the mattress. And probably shoot ourselves when we changed the sheets. Hmmm, maybe a couple of large noisy dogs would be a better choice if we ever move to the country.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
... if we lived out in the boonies on a big piece of land maybe we'd keep a firearm under the mattress. And probably shoot ourselves when we changed the sheets. Hmmm, maybe a couple of large noisy dogs would be a better choice if we ever move to the country.
We meet all three criteria...except our piece of land isn't especially big...and there is no way I'd keep a pistol under the mattress, that's why they designed nightstands...and one of our two large noisy dogs died last month. But other than that, we're in complete agreement.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Maybe you are on to something here:

I suspect if everyone attending political rallies were armed then the discourse would be much more civil.

+1

I have been saying that for politicians we should bring back the duel. If they want to question each others word they can resolve it like our forefathers. This should improve their civility.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We meet all three criteria...except our piece of land isn't especially big...and there is no way I'd keep a pistol under the mattress, that's why they designed nightstands...and one of our two large noisy dogs died last month. But other than that, we're in complete agreement.

Just keep them all loaded. Do you know how many people are killed by guns people thought were unload every year?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #52

Iīm sure I wonīt be the one that Porkies this thread with this observation:

I must have read more than 400 American crime novels....I donīt remember any of them where any of the main/imprtant characters -other than cops- carried a concealed gun. And very very few had a gun in their houses.
And Iīve been reading hard boiled crime fiction, from John Sandford to G. Pelecanos to Michael Connelly or from Jonathan Nasaw to Joseph Wambaugh to Ed Mc Bain to Greg Iles.....

Iīve been nice and polite, havenīt I?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
moderators are all peering at this thread with one hand posed on the Porky button, just waiting for the gun to go off...
Son of a .... gun

Old 01-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I must have read more than 400 American crime novels....I donīt remember any of them where any of the main/imprtant characters -other than cops- carried a concealed gun. And very very few had a gun in their houses.
And Iīve been reading hard boiled crime fiction, from John Sandford to G. Pelecanos to Michael Connelly or from Jonathan Nasaw to Joseph Wambaugh to Ed Mc Bain to Greg Iles.....

Iīve been nice and polite, havenīt I?
I'm sure you understand that a crime NOVEL can have anything happen the writer wants. Using that as a basis for an opinion is a poor base.

Yes you have been polite.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Dex- Even if I never chose to carry would it be worth the time and money ($125) to attend one of these all day training classes?
I don't know what that class teaches you so, I can not comment. I would suggest a couple of basic things.
1. safe gun handling - The is not as simple as it sounds. I recently read a post from a guy who shot himself in the foot. He said he was told by an instructor that when you want to unload your gun place it pointing down between your legs. Somehow he shot himself in the foot. Obviously, he did two things wrong - swept himself and had his finger on the trigger.

2. Go to a range and shoot until you feel comfortable.

3. Go to an IDPA match first time to watch and second time to enter.

International Defensive Pistol Association
Old 01-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The recent shooting in Tucson is a good example. Lots of scuttlebutt about "if the people were armed, someone could have stopped the shooter". Possibly. Or, someone could have returned fire and killed another innocent bystander, or could have become the shooter's next target themselves, or could have been shot by a LEO...
This argument is use by pro and anti gunners alike.

The police are for protecting others and even there the Supreme Court has upheld that the police are there to protect society as a whole, not the individual.

A private gun owners' responsibility is protect himself and not others. I think carrying around the weight of a gun makes a person more cautious rather than not. If people doubt this place about 20 oz (LCP) or 30 oz (Glock 26) in coins in your pocket or on your hip. It will be a constant reminder about being aware and avoiding confrontation or risk.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
You are correct, if someone wants to shoot you then you won't have the time to pull your gun. As I said, nothing good will happen when there is a gun involved.
That is true whenever a person is being attacked. If someone wants to attack you they will. The attacker chooses, the place, time, method and tool. You might as well say 'nothing good come out of leaving your house'.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #58

It's nearly always true that discussions about guns descend into discussions of politics, and are usually better avoided.

Personally, my choice is to give myself a "last ditch" option. I'm highly trained and experienced, and I keep my training and experience constantly updated, but I fervently hope I'll never have to unholster. Nevertheless, as the saying goes, "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."
Old 01-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #59

My home state of Arizona has taken the concealed weapon laws to a new level. The state legislature passed a bill last year that no longer requires someone to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which means no back ground checks or weapons training classes are needed. It does seem that every person I have met that carries a concealed weapon stresses the need of being properly trained in handling a weapon so the need for and benefits of this bill escapes me.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
That is true whenever a person is being attacked. If someone wants to attack you they will. The attacker chooses, the place, time, method and tool. You might as well say 'nothing good come out of leaving your house'.

What?
Closed Thread