Join Early Retirement Today

Condi Rice Is Pursuing the VP Spot
Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Condi Rice Is Pursuing the VP Spot

ABC News - Dan Senor: Condoleezza Rice Is Pursuing the VP Spot

Political Radar: Dan Senor: Condoleezza Rice Is Pursuing the VP Spot

Excerpts from the article
ABCNews’ Mary Bruce Reports: Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is actively courting the vice presidential nomination, Republican strategist Dan Senor said.

“Condi Rice has been actively, actually in recent weeks, campaigning for this,” Senor said this morning on “This Week with George Stephanopoulos.”

End of excerpts.

It would make for an interesting Presidential campaign.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I so hope she is trying for this, and I hope McCain has the brains to choose her.

Wouldn't it be something if the first black American president is also the first woman American president?

Ha
Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Wouldn't it be something if the first black American president is also the first woman American president?
Ha
And a Republican.

There are three problems with it (none insurmountable):
- The fact that some will say McCain is choosing her because she is black (in order to compete with Obama's "post-racial America" marketing appeal)
- McCain needs someone with broader executive experience (e.g. a governor of a big state) to balance out his lack of same. This isn't a show-stopper, but his choice of chief of staff will make or break him if the VP doesn't have this skill set.
- Condi might prove too popular. Some people say Nixon chose Agnew as life insurance: Nobody was going to kill Nixon knowing Agnew was next in line.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Could be worse. Quayle or Cheney.. Republicans pick some of the worst VP's.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Considering that I want to marry Condi a decade ago, I am not particularly enthusiastic about the choice of Condi as a VP. Perhaps against Hillary, nominating Rice will win some black voters upset with the Clinton's stealing the nomination.
Against Barack, Condi it doesn't do a thing. If you are concerned primarily about National Security/Iraq/Foreign Policy you are already going to vote for McCain compared to Obama. Condi doesn't help.

I think McCain should nominate Romney he has access to big money donors, and can talk wonkishly for hours about why any economic bailout proposed by Hillbama will make matter worse.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

[sarcasm]This is exactly what the Republicans need is a show of support by having one of the inner-circle architects (and booster) of the Iraq War debacle on the ticket.[/sarcasm]

I am sure the DNC would love it.

Condi would be a risk. She would bring with her the stigma of one of the major negatives about the GWB administration... the Iraq war.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #7

She probably would have been a good VP pick if Romney had gotten the nomination
Old 04-07-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Sorry, not getting it. It seems to me that she was incompetent as the NSA, and not much better as secretary of state. I wouldnt expect her to shine as the vice president.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #9

All I can think of when you mention Rice is her constant evasion on the Sunday morning circuit when asked why we went to war in Iraq.... I suspect that McCain will select a young governor that hasnt had to deal with votes on Iraq....probably this guy since he was active for him......Tim Pawlenty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and if you can be a popular Repbublican govnernor from MN, you have to have some political chops
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #10

Rice would be the smart candidate for McCain to choose in many ways, but her record isn't good at all as Secretary of State. I question her judgment, myself. But would be our first lesbian VP.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
But would be our first lesbian VP.
Has she "come out"??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I remember hearing her speak time (in front of congress?) and concluding that she wasn't smart.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
[sarcasm]This is exactly what the Republicans need is a show of support by having one of the inner-circle architects (and booster) of the Iraq War debacle on the ticket.[/sarcasm]

I am sure the DNC would love it.

Condi would be a risk. She would bring with her the stigma of one of the major negatives about the GWB administration... the Iraq war.
I agree that the stagima of the Iraq War would be a major negative. But if she is selected as the VP for McCain what would be her positives?

If not Condi who?

Would Jeb Bush be a good candidate for VP?

Does anybody think that Cheney will once again nominate himself for VP?

GOD BLESS US ALL
Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But would be our first lesbian VP.
Or not: "At a dinner party while Rice was National Security Advisor, she referred to President George W. Bush as "my husband" before abruptly correcting herself."
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #15

if the opposing ticket is hillary/obama this is gonna be less of a presidential race and more of a checker board, no doubt to be reflected in the next fashion craze.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
All I can think of when you mention Rice is her constant evasion on the Sunday morning circuit when asked why we went to war in Iraq.... I suspect that McCain will select a young governor that hasnt had to deal with votes on Iraq....probably this guy since he was active for him......Tim Pawlenty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and if you can be a popular Repbublican govnernor from MN, you have to have some political chops
I hope McCain won't go with Pawlenty. IMO, he's shown himself to be a very partisan governor who has fought relentlessly against transit improvements. After the 35W bridge collapse, he has yet to do anything to hold the DOT Commissioner responsible (who happens to be his lietenant governor).
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

IMO, Rice adds little to the table against Obama. If, on the other hand, Clinton steals the nomination with the help of superdelegates, she would add a lot. I think she's too much associated with the least popular initiatives of the Bush presidency, even if through little direct fault of her own doing.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Poll suggests McCain-Rice ticket could win big
Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #18

CNN News - Poll suggests McCain-Rice ticket could win big

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

In a new poll conducted by Marist College and WNBC, a McCain-Rice ticket would beat a ticket that includes both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in New York — a state that reliably votes for the Democratic candidate. (In 2004, John Kerry beat President Bush there by nearly 20 points. In 2000, the margin between Al Gore and Bush was an even higher 25 points.)

But should McCain and Rice team up, the poll suggests the two Republicans would carry New York, defeating a Clinton-Obama ticket by 3 points (49-46 percent) and an Obama-Clinton ticket by 5 points (49-44 percent.)

End of excerpts.

I wonder if a poll like this could make Ms. Rice re-think about accepting the VP slot?

It would make for an interesting race.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Old 04-10-2008, 07:20 AM   #19

CNN News - Poll suggests McCain-Rice ticket could win big

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time - Blogs from CNN.com

In a new poll conducted by Marist College and WNBC, a McCain-Rice ticket would beat a ticket that includes both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama in New York — a state that reliably votes for the Democratic candidate. (In 2004, John Kerry beat President Bush there by nearly 20 points. In 2000, the margin between Al Gore and Bush was an even higher 25 points.)

But should McCain and Rice team up, the poll suggests the two Republicans would carry New York, defeating a Clinton-Obama ticket by 3 points (49-46 percent) and an Obama-Clinton ticket by 5 points (49-44 percent.)

End of excerpts.

I wonder if a poll like this could make Ms. Rice re-think about accepting the VP slot?

It would make for an interesting race.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #20

The Dems best strategy against McCain is the line "Voting for McCain is like voting for a third term for Bush".

I don't think Condi Rice helps him run away from Bush.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote