Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone produced a convincing taxonomy of all small rowable watercraft? Yes, kayaks feature prominently, but making a precise distinction between a kayak and a canoe with a tonneau cover --- where to begin?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Has anyone produced a convincing taxonomy of all small rowable watercraft?
I dunno. They're hard to stuff, and really awkward to mount and display properly.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:10 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

It is about time some challenged those @$$h0les. There are some that really raise the volume to an irritating level.

I think it is a shame that we get assaulted by this tactic.

I suppose if some sound systems had an option to mute commercials by -10 db I would not care but they do not... at least mine does not.

I agree our govt has more pressing issues. But sometimes they have to step in to deal with entities that over step!

I think it is similar to the phone solicitation problem a few years back.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Every bill should have an expected cost associated with it. What is it going to cost to put this bill into effect and enforce it. We are going to pay for it. Is this how you want government to spend your money? Is this the most pressing need the country has? This is feel good legislation just before the election, pure and simple.

Having said that, I have no allusions that the cost the government would put on a bill would be any where close to accurate. Simple solution, if cost comes in x% more than predicted, the bill has to be re-passed.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Every bill should have an expected cost associated with it. What is it going to cost to put this bill into effect and enforce it. We are going to pay for it. Is this how you want government to spend your money? Is this the most pressing need the country has? This is feel good legislation just before the election, pure and simple.

Having said that, I have no allusions that the cost the government would put on a bill would be any where close to accurate. Simple solution, if cost comes in x% more than predicted, the bill has to be re-passed.
Campaign contributors love this kind of legislation. that is why we have private "speed cameras" Big costs to drivers small profits to government big profits to industry, handy campaign contribution to politicians.

Remember the air to air Tanker debacle? Costs were manipulated all over the place to satisfy campaign contributors.

You can't just do "government cost" you have to do "full social cost"

Which I assure you is not easy. Get ready for more screaming about DEATH PANELS
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Let's look on the bright side. Sure, this is a minor, trivial issue in which no one has a life-or-death stake. That's precisely the kind of issue I want legislators working on--full time, if possible. It's when they try their hand at important stuff (health care, "helping" businesses, etc) that real damage gets done.

So, let's call for more Congressional work to properly proclaim National Bacon Day.

I say people who criticize President Obama for the hours he now dedicates to golf each week are definitely missing the big picture.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I'm curious about something (regarding the actual topic) - are we talking about over-the-air, public-air-wave broadcast commercials, or does this include cable TV commercials also?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Let's look on the bright side. Sure, this is a minor, trivial issue in which no one has a life-or-death stake. That's precisely the kind of issue I want legislators working on--full time, if possible. It's when they try their hand at important stuff (health care, "helping" businesses, etc) that real damage gets done.

So, let's call for more Congressional work to properly proclaim National Bacon Day.

I say people who criticize President Obama for the hours he now dedicates to golf each week are definitely missing the big picture.
How many plusses am I allowed to give in a single post? +
Old 10-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm curious about something (regarding the actual topic) - are we talking about over-the-air, public-air-wave broadcast commercials, or does this include cable TV commercials also?

-ERD50
Quote:
The Senate unanimously passed a bill late Wednesday to require television stations and cable companies to keep commercials at the same volume as the programs they interrupt.
My emphasis