Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Connection Problems: Router, ISP?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Connection Problems: Router, ISP?

For weeks I've been having intermittent connection problems. I won't be able to load any web page, and the problem is solved if I have the computer disconnect/reconnect to wifi.

I talked with the cable company, they were sure it was the modem and came out and installed a new one, but the problem is still there.

I'm wondering whether I should just buy a new router (mine is seven years old, WGR614). I used ping to monitor the connection today, and below is the data starting just before an interruption. You can see the timeouts that I started getting. I told Windows 8.1 to disconnect from wifi (at the "general failure" point), then reconnect, and everything was fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Al

Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
General failure.
Reply from 192.168.1.2: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=216ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=354ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=42ms TTL=48
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=48
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, I had a similar problem a few months back and replaced my router. Problem solved.

In my experience, routers don't usually last more than 3-4 years before giving up. Mine was three years old when I replaced it.

FWIW, I went with a low-priced replacement (Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WR841N Wireless N300 Home Router, 300Mpbs, IP QoS, WPS Button: Electronics) which has worked very well so far.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

AL,
Check the firmware on the router, for an update. WGR614 has a v and numeral after it. That is something you need to find the newest firmware.
It is not too difficult to do. But a new router will be infinitely better. Could be a Windows 8 interaction thing, so plan on replacing the router.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There is a certain 'voodoo' aspect to network technology.

I assume you have tried the old standby of unplugging everything, letting it all cool its heals for about a minute, and then plugging everything back in.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In my experience, routers don't usually last more than 3-4 years before giving up. Mine was three years old when I replaced it.
I had frequent router/wifi problems with dropped connections, dead spots in the home and computers that would not connect at all. I finally gave up and spent the money to get an Apple Airport Extreme. You will have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers to get it from me. It works great. As it should for the price.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a similar problem. Rebooting the router helped quite a bit. (Linksys E4200)
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #7

You might want to read up on the traceroute command here: How to Use the Traceroute Command and lots of other places.

If you suspect the router, just take it out of the configuration by unplugging the ethernet cable that connects the modem to the WAN port of the router and plug that into a PC ethernet port, then retry the ping and tracert commands. If you get similar results the problem is not the router.

Edit to add: Reboot that PC after you connect it to the modem and before the ping and tracert.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

And I've been using several Netgear WGR614 routers (~ $28) in the family since 2010 - not a single problem.

I don't think cost has much to do with it, and I wouldn't expect them to die at 3 years, unless there are some power glitch issues.

T-Al - try connecting wired to eliminate the wireless aspect. Process of elimination. It could be Windows as well, try another computer, or try that computer booted into Linux?

Oh, and definitely reboot the router. Who knows what glitches might sneak in after days/months/years of being ON? And go direct as Rustward just mentioned.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #9

I would try a different DNS server. 8.8.8.8 is googles public DNS server, it could be having issues. To test the wifi try pinging your gateway instead, it should only be one hop away.

Also remove the wifi, plug directly in with a cable a see if it persist.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
I had a similar problem. Rebooting the router helped quite a bit. (Linksys E4200)
Thrown away several of the new E4200s for people. They are not stable, frequently lockup, stop routing and will not reset even when unplugged and hitting the reset button.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Thrown away several of the new E4200s for people. They are not stable, frequently lockup, stop routing and will not reset even when unplugged and hitting the reset button.
My E3200 started screwing up only a year after I bought it. It replaced a Trendnet (?) that never worked right from day one. Haven't needed to reboot my new ASUS for a half year now. I've had a couple of older ones that also became unreliable after a few years.

If the new modem didn't fix the problem and resetting the router does, replace the router.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
My E3200 started screwing up only a year after I bought it. It replaced a Trendnet (?) that never worked right from day one. Haven't needed to reboot my new ASUS for a half year now. I've had a couple of older ones that also became unreliable after a few years.

If the new modem didn't fix the problem and resetting the router does, replace the router.
Linksys used to be the thing for home application ( before cisco bought them ). I still have a 2000 vintage model that works fine.

I have had good luck with netgear for routers and hardware VPNs. For WAPs engenius has been good.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

In my experiences the intermittent's were caused by cable modem problems:

1) Had a Moto cable modem to save the cost of renting a Comcast router. Got intermittents after about 1 year of use. When I swapped it for a Comcast router the problem went away.

2) After about 1 year had intermittent's again. Went down to Comcast and swapped routers. Problem went away.

I am guessing that the network stream changes and the old router settings are no longer optimal. But I really don't understand networking and the diagnostic tools suck.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Routing issues stemming from simple, but sometimes difficult to find network topology errors can plague a system with problems too. I've got around 30 devices tied into my network (mix of PC's, cameras, wireless access points and repeaters in outbuildings, 'smart' TV, VOIP, XBOX, printers - it all seems to grow exponentially), with a mix of static and dynamic addressing.

Not knowing how elaborate your home network might be, this might not even apply but I've found accidently setting up a device with a static address in the range reserved for dynamic addressing in the router configuration can cause the router to exhibit nasty symptoms needing frequent resets to "cure". FWIW, one of my early routers, a Linksys WRT54G is still live and kicking, those things have somewhat of a cult following as they are fairly robust. Most recent routers in my system are Bufflao, but the available models keep changing so I wouldn't even want to suggest anything there. I do rely heavily on DD-WRT firmware in all of my routers/switches, highly configurable in software and once 'tweaked in' they all run pretty darn well. Also very good practice to maintain backups of the configurations in case a hard reset or replacement is ever called for.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Good ideas.

Bypassing the router is nice, but I'll have to put the computer in an awkward location while I wait for the problem to happen.

I started debugging the router, but ran into hassles. I've always found router setup to be messy and complicated. For example:

The manual says: Connect to the router by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address field of Internet Explorer or NetscapeŽ Navigator.

That didn't work (timeout), and the instructions for fixing that weren't relevant for windows 8.1, and I couldn't get them to work.

If I get a new router, I'll probably get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0087NZ31S/...I2JVN9ZMOZGNY5
Old 10-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The manual says: Connect to the router by typing http://192.168.0.1 in the address field of Internet Explorer or NetscapeŽ Navigator.

That didn't work (timeout), and the instructions for fixing that weren't relevant for windows 8.1, and I couldn't get them to work.
Are you connected to the router via ethernet cable ? and your computer IP needs to be on the same lan as the router ( 192.168.0.xxx)

The OS you are on should have no impact on connecting to the router.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good ideas.

Bypassing the router is nice, but I'll have to put the computer in an awkward location while I wait for the problem to happen.

I started debugging the router, but ran into hassles. I've always found router setup to be messy and complicated. For example:

If I get a new router, I'll probably get this one:

Securifi Almond - (3 Minute Setup) Touchscreen Wireless Router / Range Extender at Amazon.com
Open cmd window. Type ipconfig /all and you'll see your router. It is the default gateway, dhcp, and dns.

Are you wired to the router or wireless?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I had frequent router/wifi problems with dropped connections, dead spots in the home and computers that would not connect at all. I finally gave up and spent the money to get an Apple Airport Extreme. You will have to pry it out of my cold dead fingers to get it from me. It works great. As it should for the price.
A few weeks back my DF's cable modem was fried in a storm (lighting strike next door). Comcast came out to replace it and they mentioned that the new cable modem had WiFi built into it.

He quickly called me (his tech support) and I told him to just have them turn off the WiFi and plug it into his Apple Airport and everything will work just like before.

He called me back later and said that when he told them to disable the cable modem's WiFi because he had an Apple Airport, the Comcast guy chuckled and said "smart move, the Airport has much better WiFi than what Comcast supplies."

I'm not sure I'd take advice from a Comcast installer (!) but in this case he was right.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #19

Quote:
He quickly called me (his tech support) and I told him to just have them turn off the WiFi and plug it into his Apple Airport and everything will work just like before.

He called me back later and said that when he told them to disable the cable modem's WiFi because he had an Apple Airport, the Comcast guy chuckled and said "smart move, the Airport has much better WiFi than what Comcast supplies."

I'm not sure I'd take advice from a Comcast installer (!) but in this case he was right.
I have Comcast, and we recently "upgraded" to the new X1 platform for the TV aspect. The new modem has a built-in router, and I telecommute and it has dealt me fits with using my VPN.

I bought a new router this weekend, and Comcast is coming out tomorrow to do some more debugging, and I'm going to make him install it for me. For what I pay them, they should sit on my porch and wait for me to snap my fingers. This week, they'd have been really, really busy.

Nothing more frustrating than connectivity issues. Work help(less) desk blames it on my ISP and my ISP says it has to be my VPN. No one, especially me, is smart enough to figure out where the breakdown is.

Trombone Al, who is your ISP?
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:

This:
Quote:
General failure.
Reply from 192.168.1.2: Destination host unreachable.
implies that your gateway address is 192.168.1.2, so that is the address you would use to get to the router configuration. IIRC the default address for the WGR614 is 192.168.0.1. Yours may have been changed. You can double check this by looking at the network settings on any device on the LAN for "default gateway address". Sorry, can't tell you how to do that with Win8.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote