Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice.

Two things come to mind. Ever live in the trees? Lots of shade and debris, not necessarily bad just something to consider. How is the kennel inside? We inherited one on a property, don't think it's ever going to be anything but a kennel.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Nice house, beautiful view/property.
My concerns are those others have expressed: looks a bit dated, not one level, so may not be good for aging in place, also the steep drive/roadway not conducive to visitors or Emergency Vehicles?
I do not like big trees next to my house, so that would be a deal breaker for me!
Old 11-30-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No pulls on the kitchen cabinets. I say no.

If you watch the video walk through the hardware has been added to the kitchen cabinets and drawers. It's at the bottom of the selection of pictures on the Zillow listing.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:30 AM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
If you watch the video walk through the hardware has been added to the kitchen cabinets and drawers. It's at the bottom of the selection of pictures on the Zillow listing.
Thanks for spotting that.
My objection is rescinded.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:40 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Regarding the issue of transferring your Prop 13 tax basis. I did a quick Google search, and came up with the following page from the Sacramento County Assessor's Office website. I don't know what county you currently live in Al. I know it isn't Sacramento County, but much of the information here is applicable to all of California -

Proposition 13 Base Year Value Transfers to Replacement Properties

According to the above, it is possible to transfer your Prop 13 tax basis if -

1) You are buying a replacement property in the same county or,
2) You are buying a property in a county that allows such transfers. Currently the counties which allow it are -

Alameda
Riverside
San Mateo
Ventura
Los Angeles
San Bernardino
Santa Clara
Orange
San Diego
Tuolumne

This is a one-time benefit for over 55 year-olds (it's great being old!) Obviously, you'll need to do your own research. If retaining the same tax basis for the purpose of property taxes is important to you, this would be worth looking into, as it may well inform the areas in which you look.

The other main issue that occurred to me is another one that has already been mentioned, and that is the potential fire risk. As I understand it, Redwoods are not particularly prone to fire. I'm also wondering, as another poster did, whether the greater humidity in the air due to the proximity to the coast, would help to lessen the fire risk.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Are there fires/power outages at this new location? I recall that was one of the reasons you were looking to bug out of your current location.

Oh yeah, I see plenty of decking. They are a pain to take care of. Do you want more maintenance as you age?
Old 11-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We probably won't consider it, but to answer your questions:

The redwoods aren't as risky WRT falling as other trees, and fires are less likely in this humid, rainy climate.

As far as getting old and needing a walker, na na na, I can't hear you!

We live in the trees now, and the main disadvantage is mold. That could be a problem.

The kennel could be turned into a workshop—not smelly or anything.

Dated doesn't bother me, perhaps because I'm dated, too?

Thanks for the Prop 13 info.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
... As far as getting old and needing a walker, na na na, I can't hear you! ...
Yes, of course. Just be sure to close and move into your single level, accessible, house the day before you or DW become mobility impaired or end up on 24x7 oxygen. Those concentraters and bottles are hard to get up and down stairs.

It's a lot like computer backups. You only need one: Do it the day before the fire.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Al , I don't get it . We are all getting older and you are moving into something that may not work , may still have electricity problems and has a problem driveway just to avoid more people sounds pretty crazy to me.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We live in the trees now, and the main disadvantage is mold. That could be a problem.
I had always lived in homes that had trees, and had to rake them. Annoying, but no big deal. Then after the in-laws passed we moved into their house which was very heavily treed. Doing the garden clean-up there was 10 times the work, as I had to clean up under shrubbery and such. The leaf mold there got me really sick, and I developed pneumonia one time. After all those years of regular leaf cleanup I never even knew I had a leaf mold allergy. So if this place is more heavily wooded, you might want to take that into consideration.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:59 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

This year I was walking 10,000+ steps every day. Now I am pushing a walker (for another week). I know, Al, you are different.

We are in our 70's and DW has been "handicapped" for the last three years due to osteoporosis and COPD. I am SO GLAD we bought the 2,000 square foot brick house 4 years ago and it is set up for wheelchairs, etc.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

The setting for the home looks very peaceful and tranquil. Others have expressed some of my thoughts already. To those I’ll add:

1. From an aerial view with google maps, it looks like the 101 and a truck rest stop are close. Will you hear the traffic or other freeway noises?
2. Do you have to take trash and recycling up and down the driveway in your vehicle to a central drop site or push a can up and down the driveway?
3. Delivery packages - where are they dropped? At the bottom by the gate?
4. Look like a lot of landscaping for upkeep.
5. Is it on a septic system or city sewer?
6. Although I like my privacy, I like having neighbors close on whom I can rely. It looks like neighbors are a bit far. How will you meet them?
7. From the google aerial view again, it looks like there are lots of rental properties in the area. Will living with tourists versus property owners on a regular basis be something you’d enjoy?

No need to respond. Just some thoughts. Good luck with youR choice - and let us know when the housewarming party is!
ATX78701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Looks lovely but -

Not mobility friendly so if your health declines and you have to use a walker, getting into the home or to the bedrooms or bathrooms will be a challenge. The steps to the front deck could easily be changed to a long ramp though. The deck drop off might be safer if there was a railing around it.
That dishwasher is at an odd angle. It will be difficult to keep the door open and load it from the sink.
I am assuming both bathrooms have a single sink only. That may work for you but not great for resale. 2 bedrooms vice 3 does not have as good resale either. It appears that one of the bathrooms is also accessed via the laundry room and is very small.
Not sure but it appears that the upstairs is one bedroom and the loft that could be turned into a bedroom and the other current bedroom is at the foot of the stairs and has part of the room with a very sloped ceiling.
If the 14x14 outbuilding could be plumbed with a very small bathroom and kitchen area, it might serve as a guest cottage/AirBnB studio.
There's a road between you and the ocean and not sure if you have any beach view or beach access.
You have to consider not only California taxes but also access to adequate medical care.
Since there is a woodburning stove in the living room, you may want to look at the heating costs for the area or how reliable they are. Is this in an area that will now experience a power shutoff whenever there are high winds? And what is the wildfire danger there plus escape routes? If there is a possibility of a wildfire, you have a LOT of mitigation that needs to be done. I imagine that will affect your insurance rates until completed.
It's also been for sale for over 9 months. So either the current owners are unrealistic about the price, or there is a lot that needs to be investigated further. Also, if it has been on the market for 9 months, what does that say about resale potential?

Also, there are two parcels available not too far away. Closer to Trinidad and father from the ocean but you could build a completely ADA home there that will be great if there are any health/mobility changes . https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/0...084352796_zpid
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We're considering moving because more and more houses are being built around ours.

Here's a house we've looked at:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18845477_zpid/

It's in the redwoods, isolated from other houses, and within easy biking distance to the small town of Trinidad.

The big disadvantages:

1. One-car garage, meaning our truck would have to sit outside in the salt air (1,000 ft from ocean).

2. Really steep driveway (We visited it after a windstorm when there was a lot of duff on the driveway. If I hadn't turned on the 4-wheel drive, we would have gotten stuck). Turning around at the top of the driveway may require a 5-point turn.

3. We would have to move (that is, not stay in our current house).

Thoughts?
I am from the San Francisco Bay Area and love California. However, if you are not from there, think about drought and wildfires. Of course one can't forget that PG&E is shutting down power on a regular basis to prevent fires from failure to maintain equipment. I sure would never give up my garage space. Didn't have one for way too many years!

Good luck on your process!
msanniee is offline   Reply With Quote
NO, don't move
Old 12-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #35
Confused about dryer sheets

NO, don't move

My opinion the home is too hard to get to, driveway too steep, and as you grow older stairs become a problem. There are too many cons on this home that I would not buy it.
lygd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we've ruled it out because of the driveway.