Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I just checked Niekro has the most all time wins after age 40 with 121. Number 2? Most wouldnt think of him until after his name was said and then go...Oh ya, makes sense... Jamie Moyer with 105.

Crafty pitchers. Have to be, for success to come after age 40. Can’t just rely on heat. Gotta know how to ‘pitch’ as they say. Exception might be Nolan Ryan. He threw high heat till the end.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #562

Can you imagine Nolan Ryan playing in an over 70 league somewhere around Phoenix in the winter months these days...who the heck could catch him, let alone hit him. Umps would have a hard time calling balls and strikes.

He must have faced Phil a few times over the years.

The Niekro brothers were great. So were the Perry's. Some of baseball's best.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:04 PM   #563
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some knuckler, I think it was Bouton in "Ball Four", said he pitcher better on less rest, because it helped keep him from overthrowing the knuckler.

I browsed retrosheet.org for Niekro years 77-79, when he had the most starts. It looked like he only started once with 2 days rest, and he didn't make it out of the first inning. He did relieve a couple times with less rest, but then they pushed his next start back a couple of days.

For his 300th win, in a meaningless end of season game with the Yankees, he threw a shutout, and threw just one knuckle ball, to end the game on a strikeout. I don't know if that's true, but I remember hearing about it when it happened, and found a mention of it in one of his obits. That's a 46 year old pitcher who probably never had a classic major league arm to begin with, throwing a shut out without his go to pitch. Maybe they kept thinking the knuckle ball was coming.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #564
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
Can you imagine Nolan Ryan playing in an over 70 league somewhere around Phoenix in the winter months these days...who the heck could catch him, let alone hit him. Umps would have a hard time calling balls and strikes.
I read a story about Koufax, in his 50s at one of those fantasy camps, where some camper at the plate was giving Koufax crap. Koufax came back with a 90mph fastball, for a strike. But yeah, I'm sure Ryan could've done that too.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:09 AM   #565
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I read a story about Koufax, in his 50s at one of those fantasy camps, where some camper at the plate was giving Koufax crap. Koufax came back with a 90mph fastball, for a strike. But yeah, I'm sure Ryan could've done that too.

On the opposite side of Koufax and Ryan, take a look at Bill “Spaceman” Lee throwing an eephus pitch that didnt quite work out in the ‘75 World Series.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #566
gone traveling

There have been a number of successful knuckleball pitchers over the years, but Phil was probably the best. I am not sure if there are any current day knuckleballers around. The last one that I can remember was R.A. Dickey.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:57 AM   #567
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
On the opposite side of Koufax and Ryan, take a look at Bill “Spaceman” Lee throwing an eephus pitch that didnt quite work out in the ‘75 World Series.

I was at this game..sitting behind the plate when this happened..

a quick story...I was in Belmont Mass for my job back in the 80's which involved traveling, and I went into a little seafood restaurant there. I started talking to the man behind the counter, and it turned out to be Wilbur Wood.

He purchased the restaurant after his baseball career was over.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #568
Recycles dryer sheets

Regarding Wilbur Wood, I remember when he started both games of a double header for the White Sox. Probably early seventies. If I recall correctly, he fared pretty well. As someone else said, being a little tired actually helps a knuckleballer. Maybe someone can look it up.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #569
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
I was at this game..sitting behind the plate when this happened..

a quick story...I was in Belmont Mass for my job back in the 80's which involved traveling, and I went into a little seafood restaurant there. I started talking to the man behind the counter, and it turned out to be Wilbur Wood.

He purchased the restaurant after his baseball career was over.

I bet that was a good memory for you! I wonder if the ball was still in flight after the game was over and you were heading for the car, ha.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #570
Give me a forum ...

I can never resist a challenge to find an event like that! Retrosheet.org is the place to go. On July 20, 1973, on two days rest Wood indeed did start both ends of a doubleheader against the Yankees, who were a middling team that year. It did not go well.

In game one, he faced 6 batters, and all scored. He actually got three strikes on the leadoff batter, but it was not an out due to a passed ball on the 3rd strike.

Game two was a little better. Wood got the first 9 out in order, but gave up two runs in the 4th and only got one out in the 5th with 5 more runs scoring. Wood got the loss in both games.

With the All Star break following the game, Wood got 5 days rest and won his next game.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...1030131973.htm shows the season, and you can click on the games on July 20 to see the box scores.

I didn't find any other games where he started both ends of a doubleheader. I did see 6 or 7 games where he pitched in both games, but they were all in relief and I don't think ever more than an inning or two.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #571
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Regarding Wilbur Wood, I remember when he started both games of a double header for the White Sox. Probably early seventies. If I recall correctly, he fared pretty well. As someone else said, being a little tired actually helps a knuckleballer. Maybe someone can look it up.
He indeed started both games of a doubleheader, back on July 20th, 1973, at Yankee Stadium. He got knocked out in the first inning of the first game, came back to start the second game and got knocked out in the 5th inning of a rain-shortened game. Lost both games.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...201NYA1973.htm

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...202NYA1973.htm

I remember reading Ball Four by Bouton and he had a funny line about a knuckleball which didn't knuckle and got hit for a homerun: "In like a watermelon, out like rocket!"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 12-29-2020, 12:42 PM   #572

Bob Uecker, who caught for Niekro in 1967, when Niekro was emerging as a leading pitcher, told Sports Illustrated in 1969 what that was like.

“In those days, Phil had less control,” Uecker said. “Sometimes I’d know before he let go of it that it was going to get by me. I’d just start running and play it off the wall. At least I got to know a lot of the folks in the box seats.”

As part of Uecker's comedy schtick, he said the way to catch a knuckleball was to wait until it stop rolling, then pick it up.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #573

RIP - Phil Niekro

Those Uecker quotes are hilarious.

Here’s a decent article on the disappearance of the knuckleball in MLB.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...going-extinct/
Old 12-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #574
Give me a forum ...

Uecker had a league leading 27 passed balls that year, even though he appeared in less than half the games, and played his first 18 games with Philadelphia. Joe Torre caught 3/4 of the games and had 16 passed balls.

Add in Ueck's .146 batting average with the Braves, and you can understand why it was his last season at age 33.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #575
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
He indeed started both games of a doubleheader, back on July 20th, 1973, at Yankee Stadium. He got knocked out in the first inning of the first game, came back to start the second game and got knocked out in the 5th inning of a rain-shortened game. Lost both games.

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...201NYA1973.htm

https://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/...202NYA1973.htm

I remember reading Ball Four by Bouton and he had a funny line about a knuckleball which didn't knuckle and got hit for a homerun: "In like a watermelon, out like rocket!"

Well, my memory was good enough to remember Wilbur starting both games, but not good enough to remember the poor performance! Thanks to both of you for looking it up! Back in those days, I was more a Sox fan than a Cub fan. Liked Bill Melton, Dick Allen, Harry Carey, etc. I believe Dick Allen just recently passed at 81. Loved watching his line drive homers! Always loved old Comiskey Park knowing that all the greats had trod that soil. Babe Ruth, etc.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Well, my memory was good enough to remember Wilbur starting both games, but not good enough to remember the poor performance! Thanks to both of you for looking it up! Back in those days, I was more a Sox fan than a Cub fan. Liked Bill Melton, Dick Allen, Harry Carey, etc. I believe Dick Allen just recently passed at 81. Loved watching his line drive homers! Always loved old Comiskey Park knowing that all the greats had trod that soil. Babe Ruth, etc.
Woody had a great knuckleball teacher in Hoyt Wilhelm, who like Niekro also pitched into his late 40s (actually, he was days away from turning 50 when he pitched his last Major League game).
Old 12-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #577
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I bet that was a good memory for you! I wonder if the ball was still in flight after the game was over and you were heading for the car, ha.

It was a good memory..but mostly for how it unfolded before the game.

After the game 6 Heroics, my friends and I headed into Boston without tickets.
As we headed down Landsdowne street, it was a chaotic scene. People with ladders, ropes etc. and police all over.

We shimmied up a drain pipe near center field. and came down onto a flat roof, and then scaled a short wall in right field and ended up in the Bleachers!

We stayed there for most of the game, and an attendant we knew let us through the gate leading to the good seats, where we ended up behind home plate.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #578
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post

Seems that there a number of pitchers who starting both ends of a double-header, including Don Newcombe and Babe Ruth. There are 25 instances of a pitcher throwing 2 complete games in a double hitter, none-later than 1924.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #579

Johnny Bench told a story about Phil Niekro. The GM of the Reds told Johnny that they had a chance to trade for Niekro. According to Johnny he said, "Great. Just find another guy to catch him." Trade never happened.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #580

i don't know if it was about Niekro specifically, or knuckleballers in general, but when asked about how to catch a knuckleball, Bob Eucker replied, "wait until it stops rolling, then pick it up."
Closed Thread