Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Here's the problem for me and my DW. Our mountain cabin has internet but we have to drive a couple miles to get a cell signal. So whenever someone needs to send us a code by text message we have to hurry and drive to get the code then hope we can get back before the code expires. Yes, it's a problem here and since we spend at least 1/2 the year up here it's pretty aggravating. And no our fairly new cell phones won't do wifi calling so we rely on MagicJack VOIP.
Sometimes we have this problem in our mountain cabin. In that case one of us goes down the mountain to get the text number and calls the other one who is back at the cabin on with the computer on the internet.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
No hotspot, and no indication of router issues.

I'm using Chrome.
There’s no way I would be using Chrome.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk...h=3346a37e61a7
HGTVFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:32 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGTVFanatic View Post
There’s no way I would be using Chrome.
How can 3.2 BILLION users (almost half the world population) be wrong?
Old 11-16-2021, 04:35 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I figured if I named a browser, somebody would say it was bad.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:04 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I figured if I named a browser, somebody would say it was bad.
+1
Software has about the same fanatics as religion.

Don't get me started on the best way to clear a register.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:22 PM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

Just now I got the "verification needed" message stating that I was to enter the security code. My phone never rang. The call was directed to my voicemail because my phone system determined it was a possible spam call!!! When I listened to the message, it said to press 1 to receive the one-time-code! I ended up having to turn off the call filtering on my phone to get the blasted login code.
Octothorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octothorpe View Post
Just now I got the "verification needed" message stating that I was to enter the security code. My phone never rang. The call was directed to my voicemail because my phone system determined it was a possible spam call!!! When I listened to the message, it said to press 1 to receive the one-time-code! I ended up having to turn off the call filtering on my phone to get the blasted login code.
As we age I think it’s important that we keep up with at least a base level of technology. A simple text over a cellular phone would have made this situation an easy one.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:29 AM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Here's the problem for me and my DW. Our mountain cabin has internet but we have to drive a couple miles to get a cell signal. So whenever someone needs to send us a code by text message we have to hurry and drive to get the code then hope we can get back before the code expires. Yes, it's a problem here and since we spend at least 1/2 the year up here it's pretty aggravating. And no our fairly new cell phones won't do wifi calling so we rely on MagicJack VOIP.
You can get a Google Voice (GV) number, and associate your cell phone# to the GV number. Configure GV to forward texts and voice transcripts to your email.
Give the GV number to websites that do 2-factor verification. At your cabin, you'll get that verification code in the email that GV sends you.

I have my phone setup this way - I always give out the GV number, nobody knows the actual cell phone#. My cell phone is off more than it's on, so I actually send and receive more texts from my desktop computer than I do with my cell phone. The only thing I found that doesn't work with the GV number is Uber. GV is really VOIP and Uber only works on a 'real' cell phone number, not a VOIP number (at least the last time I used it).
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #69
Administrator

Most of the sites I use can send the verification code by voice, text or email. You just have to set it up your preference in your account.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:39 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Almost 3 billion active Facebook users...
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...rk%20worldwide.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

What also annoying is that Company's apps need requiring logging in again with ID & Password, then enabled FaceID (for iPhones). It's clearly optional to forget the user as some apps keep the FaceID setup, some force login again.

It's quite annoying as many Company's push app updates out often (i.e. every couple of weeks). I have an online bank (Live Oak) that falls in this category and I stopped using because it was so annoying. I contacted them to let them know and in my app review.
2cheap2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #72
Confused about dryer sheets

Another thing that can cause this issue, with unknown devices, is if you use a utility app to clean up your computer (e.g. I use CCleaner). The default setup of these apps usually cleans (i.e. deletes) cookies. So, if you run it between logins the website will not recognize your device.
Still_Waters_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Repeated use of 2FA techniques while tiresome at times is far less effort than having to try to undo the effects of a successful theft of your online sign-on information.

Consider it a modest time tax on being successful enough to need extra security.
+1
Well said!
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:55 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Is there some sort of creepy Big Brother verification company that aggregates EVERYTHING? In trying to verify my identity with one of the credit bureaus they asked me what month DS was born. His birth records are in another state, he hasn't lived with me for 14 years and we have different last names.

Just last week I was setting up an account to access the results of my bloodwork and among the questions they asked were whether I'd owned a car from a list of models they provided and which organizations I'd belonged to out of a list. Toastmasters was on the list. No idea how the heck that got there except I was once on the bank account as District Treasurer. It also asked for my height as reported on my driver's license but I had to scan my driver's license to check in. I really hate handing over my driver's license to be scanned.

And, a bit closer to the OT- I installed apps for my brokerage accounts only so I could deposit the occasional check. I'm not going to go through 2-factor verification just to check my balance.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
In the past, all the world population thought the earth was flat, so I cannot be sure about the popular vote.

Oh, what are we talking about people being wrong here?

I had to look up the thread, to see we were talking about Chrome.

Well, I use it too, and as I mentioned, it did not work well with Treasury Direct site, while MS IE and now Edge does.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:49 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Yes; it's called Intelius, and it makes mistakes, such as associating me with a person I haven't lived with since 1979! Sometimes I worry what he may have been up to in the intervening decades, because he had my SSN.

Those multiple-choice questions are creepy. I've gotten ones about a car I owned in the early 1980's and an apartment that was so long ago, I didn't even recognize the address at first. They must catch a lot of people who are experiencing cognitive impairment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Is there some sort of creepy Big Brother verification company that aggregates EVERYTHING?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh, what are we talking about people being wrong here?

I had to look up the thread, to see we were talking about Chrome.
The poster stated that they "would never use Chrome". I took at as an implication that it was viewed as some new-fangled, suspicious item.

I was just pointing out that as the world's most used browser it was hardly an untested software. Not perfect? Sure, but works well enough for most people I'd say.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:54 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes; it's called Intelius, and it makes mistakes, such as associating me with a person I haven't lived with since 1979! Sometimes I worry what he may have been up to in the intervening decades, because he had my SSN.
My Dad and I share a first name and a last name, and we lived at the same address when I was growing up. As a result, our credit histories have become intertwined.

Since we're both responsible people and the credit bureaus mostly get the data points right, it mostly hasn't been an issue.

But occasionally on these identity checks, I have to be careful because it'll ask me a question related to an address or something that is related to my Dad. Over time I've learned to notice these and realize that I have to effectively lie in order to pass the test (by answering as though I am my Dad on those items).
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:58 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I don't understand why the 2 part verification is a problem. I like it and have to do it for most of my financial sites every time I log in. It takes less than a minute. I don't understand what the problem is.
One problem can be - and @Amethyst I think alluded to it earlier - is if the authentication doesn't work the way it was designed to by not lasting as long as advertised - then the user may be concerned that there has been a data breach or identity theft of some kind. Even if there has not been, tracking down whether or not something like that might have happened could mean at least a modest amount of time / effort / stress / annoyance.

At the very least, it's annoying when websites and other tech gadgets don't work as expected / designed / advertised.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
My Dad and I share a first name and a last name, and we lived at the same address when I was growing up. As a result, our credit histories have become intertwined.
There's another guy, my age, my town with the same name...and it's not even a common name! He's a bad egg all his life and I've often had to do some difficult explaining. (One bank president called me aside once demanding that I stop passing bad checks! A classic "it wasn't me! it was him!")

I always have to use my first AND middle initial.

Tags
laptop, site verification, smartphone