Join Early Retirement Today

Consumer Cellular
Old 12-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Consumer Cellular

Anyone have experience with this provider? Prices (no contract) and coverage look decent.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

My father switched to them about 6 weeks ago, he's had no issues. But he doesn't travel so roaming is not a concern for him. I think he said he signed up through either an AARP or AAA offer and that was a better deal than the standard.
prudent_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have Consumer Cellular and I like them. I primarily carry a cell phone for travel and emergencies. You can change plans to fit your needs. There is a small discount if you belong to AARP.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am also considering Consumer Cellular...I would like it for my business and use it with a "square" for processing credit cards.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Have used them since June when AT&T contract was up. Easy sign up. AARP discount is 5%. Our bill went from $202 (2 iPhones) to $78 a month and we have plenty of voice, text and data. They have several plans. Their telephone support has been outstanding. So far, very good experience.
BTW, in our area they actually use AT&T cell towers, so there is zero difference in coverage and quality.
Good luck....
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #6

I switched to Consumer Cellular from T-Mobile about a year ago and I've been pleased. Prices are reasonable and the ability to change your plan online whenever you want has been helpful. As Tailgate noted they run on AT&T's network which it appears to me has better coverage, both voice and data.

Coach
Old 12-14-2014, 05:18 PM   #7

I've been with Consumer Cellular for seven years now. I've been very happy with their service. As noted above, CC is a re-seller of AT&T services and they use the AT&T cell network. No contract, and you can change plans (call minutes and data plan) as often as you like. What you have selected on the last day of your billing cycle determines the pricing for that month. Call between phones on the same plan are free.

Four phones (two smart), 600 min voice, 2.5G data is $80 before the nuisance taxes and fees. Around $100 a month all in.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

I have used them for years with no issues.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #9

I'm looking for a cheap pay as you go phone service and we're very lower users. This seems pricey compared to T Mobile pay as you go. For $3/mo, you get 30 minutes of talk and/or 30 text messages and lets you keep your phone number from month to month. Or you can get pay by the day for $2(2G) or $3(4G) unlimited text,talk & data.

I noticed the Gold Reward plan for T Mobile is not longer offered to new subscribers.

We currently use Virgin Mobile, $20 every 3 months, but the good thing is I can use my remaining balance to buy phones and resell on ebay to lower my balance. My cost is 20 cents/min to make calls. If we make 20 calls/year, that's a lot.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #10

We used them for about 18 months with no complaints. Really nice to manage monthly cost based on your activity level. When my DW's mom was dying, she bumped up her talk time to meet the additional activity and when was ready, simply went online to reduce her needs back to where she was.
Only "negative" is you have no ability to use your CC phone traveling internationally. You will need to get sim card wherever you are going.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I are in the stone age as we have (non smart) flip phones thru verizon. Lately, she mentioned she wants a smart phone and I'll probably get one as well. We are light users (though this may change with smart phones). Looking at the CC site, I've been looking at the Moto G phone for $100. Any users/thoughts on this phone? Is this a good price for it?

Also, need to figure out what plan we would need.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote