Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I'd go to the library and look at the Consumers Report there, too...if the magazine was in stock. Seems as if that's one of the publications the public loves to...well, walk away with (to put it nicely).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Another reason I love the library....
Do you really have laser beams shooting out your eyes?
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Through our public library I can read CR online, full text, up to one year ago. For the current year, the database gives extracts and helps you locate a copy. If your library's copies are walking away, talk to the library staff--can't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Do you really have laser beams shooting out your eyes?
Not only from my eyes, NML....
Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 AM   #24

Great idea, Bestwifeever: I'll ask the library if I can read CR online. Never ever thought of that one. Thanks!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I had the same thing happen with Sunset Magazine. A couple years ago I had a Chase credit card. When the card was used I built up "points" towards awards. After hounding me to use my "points" I took a subscription to Sunset. It ran the year, but then continued coming. I called Chase repeatedly and they claimed they would stop it. I also called Sunset repeatedly and they claimed the same thing. As it turns out, Sunset sells the right to bill me yearly to Chase, or another credit card company. So the magazine continued for over another year. So then I get a bit beligerent and find out that Chase had sold the billing rights to some other organization that I had never heard of and didn't seem to exist on the internet. They did give me the phone number however. I called the number and the lady was very cordial and cancelled the subscription. I got a credit back from Chase. Now we will see what happens next year when the yearly subscription would have run out. I felt inclined to cancel my Chase card but I always cut it up when it comes and have heard it can negatively affect your credit score to cancel. This whole credit reporting thing is upside down and more than a little crooked.
lloyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #26

Wow...that's some story.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:30 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don't be lulled in to thinking that this stategy is unique to "Consumer Reports," this is SOP for almost all mail order/internet subscription sign-ups. (well, I guess it is true of that junk found in your physical mailbox, too.)

May the Buyer beware (or that Latin thing, if you will)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #28

Oh, you mean: Caveat emptor.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Oh, you mean: Caveat emptor.
WE
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Through our public library I can read CR online, full text, up to one year ago.
This is an interesting thing. Anyone around the world could access these consumer reports magazines online, but only if he/she has a local library card for a participating library. For some libraries you can even read current issues. The same system is used by, for example, NetLibrary.com. I guess the library pays an annual fee for this service.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #31

One possible solution to the "auto-renew" tactic is to get a one-use cc# from your credit card company for purchases which might devolve into this. I do not know if all cc companies offer this.