Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don’t think most people take divorce lightly. For 12 years we went to marriage counseling off and on trying to make it work. Finally after being verbally abused for 22 years my youngest was 18 and I cut myself free from my prison sentence.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

My divorce was years ago and I still feel sad thinking about my ex who had troubles...We both went to counseling, separately. I think it helped my ex to talk to someone objective.
SunBlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh my. Don't discount the effects of empty nest and menopause. It can be brutal and definitely cause the 90% down and lack of passion. And can last years. Sometimes you just have to hang in there until things balance out. But at the same time, love is either there or it's not. She may be feeling the same way. I wouldn't want to be with someone that no longer cared regardless of financials
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:16 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Oh my. Don't discount the effects of empty nest and menopause. It can be brutal and definitely cause the 90% down and lack of passion. And can last years. Sometimes you just have to hang in there until things balance out. But at the same time, love is either there or it's not. She may be feeling the same way. I wouldn't want to be with someone that no longer cared regardless of financials
My husband could have written this same post. I am in the middle of menopause and it has wreaked havoc on my marriage. He diagnosed it first. I thought I was just depressed. I'm now on antidepressants and seeing a therapist and things are better. Not perfect but better.

Not only menopause but an empty nest. I am experiencing empty nest syndrome. I thought it was all about missing the kids which I don't. For me, it was about finding out who I am, sticking up for myself and regaining self esteem. I wonder if she is having the same issues.

When I was young, I was so independent. After 31 years with the same guy, I have lost my independence and am slowly getting it back. i.e., I used to travel all over the country by myself. I am not necessarily doing it by myself but I am taking charge just like I would have done before.

You can think of divorce but don't do it yet. I think you should see a therapist and then maybe she will follow. If not, maybe you can suggest she sees her doctor. When in the middle of depression, one forgets how they are supposed to be. They think this is the new normal. I certainly did.

I wish you all the luck. I am lucky my husband stood by me (though I was open to seeing my doctor and therapy).
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #65
Confused about dryer sheets

Wow same boat
RPHDOC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:39 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

If she won't go to counseling, you go alone. And divorce should be the last resort. It could be that she grew up in a dysfunctional household and does not have any example what a good relationship should be. Look up the "Power and Control Wheel" and "Equality Wheel" from the Duluth Abuse Intervention Project. Then compare all of the traits on both wheels to determine your marriage strengths and weaknesses.
When I got divorced after years of hell (almost all power, no equality), I made sure all the loans except the house were paid off (and the mortgage was not large) before it was finalized.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #67

Menopause is a bitch. 2 years of hot flashes so far, not to mention what it does to your once supple tissues. Emotions off kilter, and I started marriage number 2 in the midst of the madness. It is not to be underestimated if your wife is a “certain age”.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:39 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I would not post anything related to your thoughts and especially your finances on any media, anywhere. That is all discoverable during divorce proceedings.
AGREE TOTALLY. That, and don’t make any major purchases. Get a lawyer immediately. This could get hostile, plan for the worst. This is an open board, not as anonymous as you might think, so be careful what you say.

I dropped out of a 25 year relationship 2 years ago and it was a good decision. I also moved 1400 miles. Sometimes relationships just change.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #69
Dryer sheet aficionado

Been there, done that. Sounds exactly like what I went through with y Ex. If she is afraid to talk to a therapist, and doesn't want to help fix the relationship, then you're stuck. Here's how you need to proceed:
1. Yes, you should see a therapist... now.
2. Yes, see a lawyer... now. Get your financial house in order. No matter how amicable you think it will be, things often turn sour very quickly in a divorce or separation.
3. Talk to her, gently but firmly. Remind her of how your relationship used to be, and end the conversation on a positive note... you love her and want BOTH of you to be happy.
4. Be kind. Yes, she may be going through some very rough times, physically and emotionally. That doesn't mean you endure a broken relationship forever, it just means that you attempt to fix it, or end it, with the grace and kindness that honors your time together.

Best of luck.. you can do this!
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #70

I was exactly where you are. After 20 years splitting up is hard but you are entitled to be happy too and it sure doesn’t sound like you are or will be.

I moved out and while there was no one else there was the dream of someone else. Splitting up ended years of paralysis is my life since wife was too afraid or simply unable to cope with change. Knew I wanted a simpler life so easily gave up most possssions.

Could not be happier wi h how everything turned out. So no promises but if you don’t mal a change for sure it can’t get better..
Old 01-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I agree that people should try their best to keep the marriage together. There is a lot to be gained by keeping two people together in a loving marriage. I know of one guy whose wife had an affair, and he ended up adopting the child of that affair when they reconciled. Now that is fellow who takes his marriage seriously.

One thing many people have not mentioned is that all to often these days, there is a 3rd Party who is working hard to pry the marriage apart. The 3rd Party often provides a very safe and emotionally comfortable environment for one of the married persons. Time with the 3rd party is usually free of child rearing issues, money issues, and the often mundane issues of day to day life as part of a family. Time with the 3rd party is usually exciting, new, different, and often it is in a vacation like environment. What fun! What a relief! What adventure! What a disaster for the marriage and the family unit.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I agree that people should try their best to keep the marriage together. There is a lot to be gained by keeping two people together in a loving marriage. I know of one guy whose wife had an affair, and he ended up adopting the child of that affair when they reconciled. Now that is fellow who takes his marriage seriously.

One thing many people have not mentioned is that all to often these days, there is a 3rd Party who is working hard to pry the marriage apart. The 3rd Party often provides a very safe and emotionally comfortable environment for one of the married persons. Time with the 3rd party is usually free of child rearing issues, money issues, and the often mundane issues of day to day life as part of a family. Time with the 3rd party is usually exciting, new, different, and often it is in a vacation like environment. What fun! What a relief! What adventure! What a disaster for the marriage and the family unit.
The guy you know...His situation speaks volumes about dating/marriage in the present day. Enough said.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
This really hit home; I can think of 3 marriages I know of where the sex ended around the time they were in their mid-50s or earlier. (I'm guessing on one of the 3; the husband of one of the couples is a close personal friend and I'm dating the 3rd guy, who was divorced in 2012 but said the last time they had sex was 1997.) In all 3 cases, the wives seemed to be at loose ends after the heavy-duty part of mothering was over and the kids were gone. Their lives still revolve mostly around the kids and grandkids. It's not inevitable; there are many happy marriages in my family in which stay-at-home mothers had enough other things going on that they adjusted well to life after an empty nest. I don't ask about their sex lives but I see genuine displays of affection.

I pretty much sailed through menopause except that sex became extremely painful. Hope that's not TMI. There are prescriptions that can help but you actually have to talk with a doctor and they're not cheap. That could be another reason for the "roommates" situation.

So- the OP's wife may need time and counseling if she's motivated- or she may not want things to change. Only he can decide how to move forward.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 10:36 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes men are impotent also.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Sometimes men are impotent also.
Rats !! ........ I thought at first you said important
Old 01-27-2019, 12:09 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to disappoint Sunset. I think if you really love each other some things can be accepted and worked out.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:15 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

What OP describes sounds very similar to what I lived with for 25 years. Why it was endured for 25 years is probably something I should have my head examined for. Anyway here's what we did to flatten out the roller coaster ride from hell.

DW met with a gynecologist, I attended also. Had I not been there and Dr. only heard how DW described her symptoms then probably nothing would have been done. When I described her behavior from my view point the Dr. had her tested for hormone imbalance. Results from that test prompted the following solution:

DW had a hysterectomy (aka "The Exorcism")
She was also put on hormone therapy patches.

DW is now a completely different person. More like the young lady I married in the first place. Well, not so young anymore but mentally. Cybil does raise her ugly head occasionally (maybe once a month or so) but can usually be talked into going away and having DW return.

Apparently hormone patches should only be used for a few years otherwise other health conditions can occur. Crossing that bridge is getting close and it scares the hell out of me. I'm afraid things will go back to the way they were and I won't be able to return to that life.

Don't know if this is OPs issue but testing for hormone imbalance is something to consider.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:39 AM   #78
gone traveling

Friends have told me after going thru rough and expensive divorces "it would have been cheaper to keep her".
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:39 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Having gone through a divorce last year, I wish the OP the best of luck. My divorce was pretty amicable, and we used a mediator to help us split things and keep legal costs down (no kids, no debt, no "valuable" knick knack to fight over). The mediation process also allowed us to keep our financial standing private, which we both valued. But it was still tough, and it left both of us feeling poorer. The divorce was not my idea but, in retrospect, I think that it was for the best. I consulted a therapist to help me get through the rough times and I learned so much about myself in the process. It was money well spent.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:07 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Friends have told me after going thru rough and expensive divorces "it would have been cheaper to keep her".
My divorce cost me some decent dough when adding in the alimony and asset payments.
However even though it technically caused a later FIRE, I wasn't thinking about retiring until it happened and am way happier now even though not as wealthy as I would have been.