Join Early Retirement Today

Contentless Posts
Old 06-12-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Contentless Posts

I really wish that some of you would trade barbs and silly comments via private email rather than by posting on this site. When I use "unread posts since last visit", most of what I find is just useless chit-chat. I come here to learn and to exchange ideas, not to wade through an endless series of meaningless drivel. It is no wonder that some posters have such high post counts, they just post any random thought that comes into their head whether it is off topic or not. The guilty parties know who they are. It is becoming not worth the effort to find the serious discussions on this board. In my opinion the board is going down hill fast. If others feel this way, lets here from them. If not, maybe I'll look for another forum.

Grumpy
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Contentless Posts
Old 06-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I really wish that some of you would trade barbs and silly comments via private email rather than by posting on this site.* *When I use* "unread posts since last visit", most of what I find is just useless chit-chat.* I come here to learn and to exchange ideas, not to* wade through an endless series of meaningless drivel.* It is no wonder that some posters have such high post counts,* they just post any random thought that comes into their head whether it is off topic or not.* The guilty parties know who they are.* It is becoming not worth the effort to find the serious discussions on this board.* In my opinion the board is going down hill fast.* If others feel this way, lets here from them.* If not, maybe I'll look for another forum.

* * * *Grumpy
Good morning! You may be surprised that I agree with you. I also plead
guilty to lots of off-topic and sometimes dopey posts. To be fair, I am sure
you would agree that there are many guilty parties, and no.........
I'm not naming names. BTW, I don't see a good way to combat this
if you think it's a problem. Just tune it out............... kind of like turning off the
TV if there is nothing on you want to watch.
That's what I do. If someone posts an old joke or endless prattle about
nothing I care about, I just move on. There is plenty of good stuff
on this site.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
There is plenty of good stuff
on this site.

JG
Yep, but the problem for me is finding this good stuff buried in all the crap. I would like to see some method used where good posts can be identified so I can skip the others.

Grumpy
Old 06-12-2005, 11:25 AM   #4

I know what you mean, but I like the dopey posts.

So, Dopey walks into a bar with a set of jumper cables. The bartender says, "You can come in, but don't start anything!"

Old 06-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Yep, but the problem for me is finding this good stuff buried in all the crap.* I would like to see some method used where good posts can be identified so I can skip the others.

* * * Grumpy
C'mon, Grumpy, you're living up to your user name. If you truly expect us all to snap to attention and remain on-topic & high-quality from here on out, then discussion boards wouldn't need moderators.

You aren't the first to have this complaint or to make that suggestion, but you could be the first with a concrete proposal about this idea of how to identify the good posts. We understand WHAT you want-- HOW to do it is another challenge altogether.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Laughing is supposed to be good for one's health. It is definitely fun. Lots of these "useless posts" make me laugh. Like the Dopey Post above.

Ever wonder why there are more posts on this board, and more members online, and more guests in a day than some of the other boards get in a week?

IMO it's because you pretty quickly learn whatever hard content there is, so unless there is a general info chit-chat theme going on, why go back?

HaHa
Old 06-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

If there was a way to display new replies or most recent within a certain main subject (like Fire and Money), that would probably assist you, grumpy. I think an effort should be made to keep the "froth" in the other topics area, those of us who enjoy that (I being one of them, guilty on all charges Grumpy has raised) can go there, and those who want it a little more serious could stay in the financially based threads. BigMoneyJim, is that feasible in this architecture?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
If there was a way to display new replies or most recent within a certain main subject (like Fire and Money), that would probably assist you, grumpy.* I think an effort should be made to keep the "froth" in the other topics area, those of us who enjoy that (I being one of them, guilty on all charges Grumpy has raised) can go there, and those who want it a little more serious could stay in the financially based threads.* BigMoneyJim, is that feasible in this architecture?
It's in the DNA of techies to want to mess with things. But look how successful this board is! Compare it to anything else out there. The MF ER board was (is) very active, but it was even more chaotic than this one.

The reason why you find jokes everywhere rather than segregated in a "Joke Department is that they are interactive, just like real life. Someone inadvertently sets up someone else, who completes the joke.

Let people who are upset by the lack of structure go organize the fastener drawers in their garages.

Haha
Old 06-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Sorry Grumps...wish I could help but part of the reason why I'm here is to have fun and laugh at Al's jokes (good one Al). I could certainly do without the pointless replies-to-your-own-replies intended to only build post counts.

If this isnt sitting well with you, consider this. I wasnt in the military or any government service. I wont receive any kind of pension. I dont have a 401k or a mortgage. I dont surf, own a boat or an airplane, live in a foreign country or plan to travel without owning anything but whats strapped to my back. I dont buy expensive wine very often. I dont suggest paying twice as much for a computer because its got some bell or whistle a techie likes that most people couldnt care less about. I pay $50 a month for a high speed connection in part so I can view highly detailed media content without waiting, not to spend an extra 5 minutes shaving down a photo every time I want to post one because a couple of people wont spend more than $6 on their internet connection.

So if we could all just stop all that stuff thats very uninteresting to me and clutters up my reading experience, that would be just super.

Since I know thats not going to happen, I find some interesting posts on stuff i'm not interested in or didnt know I was interested in, and I occasionally find myself reasonable enough to not post 6 megapixel attachments...I can live with it.

I am however going to start a little poll to see if a couple of tweaks to the software and the rules wouldnt smooth out peoples user experiences. Let Dory and Jim look at the results and make up their minds as to whether or not its worth it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by th

I am however going to start a little poll to see if a couple of tweaks to the software and the rules wouldnt smooth out peoples user experiences. Let Dory and Jim look at the results and make up their minds as to whether or not its worth it.
Thanks TH, a reasonable reply.

Grumpy
Old 06-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #11

My Opinion

Old 06-12-2005, 04:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Pretty funny CT...now put a pancake on its head and you've got sumthin...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #13

CT.

Holy Merde.

I knew you were full of it but didn't know how much. Yow!

Sorry Grumpy.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Finally, you sent something funny.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:01 PM   #15

Cuttroat: Hilarious!

Not sure how Grumpy feels about it though
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
ER Forum Morphs Into Chat Room
Old 06-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #16

ER Forum Morphs Into Chat Room

I generally stay away from this type of discussion because in my experience the primary culprits couldn't give a hoot what others think.* The endless chit-chat is the online equivalent to sitting next to a loud cell-phone talker in an airport or restaurant. The content of the phone conversation is not no interest to you, but you can't escape it.* Some might say "well, just ignore him."* But....you can't.

However, if some of the power posters could excercise just a bit of restraint, I think it would make the experience here all the more positive for everyone.* One good test would be whether a message could conceivably be of interest to anyone except (perhaps even including!) the intended recipient.*

tozz
Old 06-13-2005, 10:36 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Cuttroat: Hilarious!

Not sure how Grumpy feels about it though
He feels that the last few posts were a waste of bandwidth and his time!

Grumpy
Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #18

Too funny Cut-Throat!

Sure wish i had known of that link in the past. I'm gonna be using that now at other sites I visit (unrelated to this topic).
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:00 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I have to admit, that is funny. The University I graduated from is known as a cow college so this link will come in handy in the future.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:13 PM   #20

So THATS how C-T attracts his flies. Good one! Sorry to be crappin' up your thread grumpy.