Join Early Retirement Today

Contributing Post Career
Old 03-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Contributing Post Career

Up on the boards presently is a post about someone who has recently retired, being offered short-term work at a rate of $1000/day. Perhaps 3 times more than what he was making when working for the company. The arguments for not accepting the job are indeed strong, and I don't think the OP will accept.

My wife is in a similar position, to where she could work part-time, but she would have to pay self-employment tax, to which she would get zero benefits.

It just seems like such a terrible waste. That with all of our collective knowledge (and energy), the potential to do good, instead withers away and dries up. Not that there are other ways to help others, but that the system is set up in such a way as to have people turn down offers such as the one above.

When the wife does work, it's pro-bono. I know too she would like to stay relevant in her craft and I mine, but it's just not worth it. Too bad there's not some kind of happy medium.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am sorry, but I disagree with you about all the good withering away. Many retirees found other outlets for their talents.
Please read what I have done, and many of our retirees have done more.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 10 years retired.doc (29.0 KB, 16 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone can volunteer their time, or work as many hours as they please. Pay your taxes if the latter, and repeat to your hearts content.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:05 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I sort of get your point. Like the OP in the other thread, I "had enough" and continued work just paid the governments a lot of money in taxes and padded the nest-egg for our heirs and charities and I decided that I wanted my time for myself so I quit (was too young to "retire" from the firm). Besides, my work wasn't very fulfilling... basically helping the rich grow richer.

Since I retired, I now have time to help friends and family and do some volunteer work while still reserving a lot of time for myself. I manage our assets and my Mom's, manage a commercial building that she owns, do tax returns for family and a friend, serve as treasurer for a non-profit, do financial consulting and prepare the the 990 for another non-profit, transport food for a local food shelf, served as guardian for my grandmother and a great aunt and settled thier estates, cleaned out and sold Mom's home when she moved, etc. Just last night I volunteered to drive a friend's granddaughter and boyfriend to the airport since she doesn't like driving in the dark anymore. I seem to find plenty to keep me busy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll just add that retiring also allows a young person to be able to get hired or to move up in their career. Sure your specific knowledge and skills are not being used in corporate world, but as pointed out there are many other ways we contribute after retirement.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I’d do the work if you need the money or enjoy the work. I wouldn’t take the work to preserve skills and contribute to society. You can contribute in many other ways, maybe new ways. And while some of your skills will wane in time ***, as long as you stay mentally active and engaged, essential skills will stick around for many years. Watching mindless TV will kill brain cells fast...

*** 1) I still have some spreadsheets I wrote in my heyday that I’m not sure I could write from scratch today, and it takes way more time for me to modify them nowadays.
2) A few nights ago at dinner a neighbor asked about my career. I mentioned I was in manufacturing and my site was a leader in environmental compliance (because his DW is a professional in the environmental field). He asked me what made us leaders - no one has asked me that in over 8 years, and it was hard to answer, but luckily the brain cells came back pretty quickly. Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Like the OP in the other thread, I "had enough" and continued work just paid the governments a lot of money in taxes and padded the nest-egg for our heirs and charities and I decided that I wanted my time for myself so I quit (was to young to "retire" from the firm). Besides, my work wasn't very fulfilling... basically helping the rich grow richer.
+1. Wow, exactly how I felt when I retired early. Reached FI at about 51, but finally it just didn’t make sense to pad further.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote