Converting vinyl to digital

DeborahB

Full time employment: Posting here.
Has anyone used the ION conversion turntable to turn LPs (33 rpm) to digital? I bought one and then never hooked it up. It was on sale so cheaply I couldn't resist it. :D

Any hints would be very welcome!

I just ordered an Ion this weekend. I should get it this week. I am a newbie on this also. Hopefully it will be an easy process.

A link to the make/model you purchased would help us to help you. A quick google showed a wide range of units matching "ION conversion turntable".

-ERD50

My set up is an Audio Technica, but I'd imagine the process is the same. You need to record the vinyl to digital, edit the sides into tracks, tag the songs, apply any effects to clean it up if necessary, then convert to mp3 or whatever format you'll want. It is a pain and time consuming, although the music sounds OK for the most part. I found using the library's CD collection is way better, then any albums that they don't have I just get it online.

Have not used the ION. I do agree that converting can be time consuming. Generally, if it is an album I really like, I find it best to either buy the CD or download the songs. That way, I convert only the stuff that is not available on CD.

I agree with David 1961. Converting analog music to digital is a tedious and boring job and unless the particular track is very rare, it should be located on CD. Nevertheless, I understand the attraction of duplicating a song exactly as you remember it -- the identical scratches, for instance, Therefore, there are several solution available:

First, you need a turntable that plugs into the video card in your computer. A Google search will give you many choices.

Then you need a software program that will capture the sound being pumped thrpugh your speakers. I have used the following with excellent results:

Audio/Video Recorder, Editor, Converter. Capture streaming video and audio.
AVS4YOU® Best multimedia software on today's market.
Video Downloader, Media Converter, Audio Recorder and more by Applian Technologies

So go for it.

I was looking at one those also. I know it's not top of line but I don't want to drop 300-400 dollars on a new turntable.

Profile Pro - Digital Conversion Turntable with Aux Input - ION Audio - Technology made simple: app accessories, portable audio, and more

I suppose that will get the job done, but I'm always a bit skeptical of these type of 'all in one' designs at a low price. Seems they often end up skimping on so many things along the way.

It's been over 30 years since I bought my turntable (just a mid-range basic Pioneer belt drive), but it wasn't expensive and I bet you can get a decent one and a decent cartridge for only a few $ more than that all-in-one (~$70 on amazon). Then, if you have an old receiver with phono-inputs, that could go right to your computer sound inputs.

If you need a phono-pre-amp, they are cheap ($20):

Amazon.com: Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp: Musical Instruments

Or spend a bit more ($70) and get the phono pre-amp and a high quality Digital-to-Analog converter in one box (this is the unit I have - it got really positive reviews in some audio forums):

Amazon.com: ART USB Phono Plus: Computers & Accessories

As others have said, it is some work to get these all digitized (get everything cued up, levels adjusted, then split and name all the tracks. If I can find the CD version, I rip that (to lossless) instead.

-ERD50

I got the one that converts to iTunes, or you can just dock your itouch into turntable and download directly into it. It was $65, and I should get it in a week. I imagine it is a "cheapo", but I probably will use for a couple days and never use it again. Reviews were tepidly positive as some said it worked great, while a few said it was too sensitive and wouldn't work on slightly warped records. It's a gamble, but worth a shot to me. Maybe if a couple of my records are a little too warped, I can pull off what I did back in the day....stack a couple nickels on top of the needle to make it through.

It may not be a concern to many (most?) but the LP is capable of really high quality sound when played on proper equipment. Some of the cheaper players mentioned may not produce very good sound and once it's digitized it seems that most people get rid of the LP's. As it was brought up previously one ends up spending a fair amount of time and may end up with a mediocre digital file. If the music is available in a CD or download it may be worth it. I've digitized several LP's which sound really good but I used quality record players and phono preamps and recorded as non compressed digital files.

It's been over 30 years since I bought my turntable (just a mid-range basic Pioneer belt drive), but it wasn't expensive and I bet you can get a decent one and a decent cartridge for only a few $ more than that all-in-one (~$70 on amazon). Then, if you have an old receiver with phono-inputs, that could go right to your computer sound inputs.

That sounds like what I had that just bit the dust, a 30+yr old pioneer. I think it was a couple hundred $$$ back in the late 70s. Got a new reciever a few years ago and realized the new ones no longer had PHONO jack with a preamp, so I bought a cheap preamp for the turntable. I ripped a few LPs a while back, it worked ok, I was using some long cable from the stereo to the PC sound card, using Diamond Cut software to cleanup the files.

Last edited:
The ION turntable looks interesting. I am fortunate to still have my turntables (Technics) and stereo mixer from my DJ days. I've been able to connect the mixer output to the computer audio input to convert vinyl to digital. I've been happy with the results, but will keep an eye on USB turntables for the future.

I have literally hundreds of old vinyl records (from the 60s and 70s) and a lot aren't available on CD, or only for a very high cost. I don't want to rebuy all these records although that's what I have been doing. But I was looking at them the other day and really wanting to hear some- I had forgotten what I had. I have a turntable but every time I play a record, it puts wear on it. So.....

My ION turntable appears to lack a model number but says only "Ion Profile LP vinyl conversion turntable". It says E/Z vinyl/tape converter (I have NO idea about the "tape" part). I got it on sale at Costco a while ago for $50. As in a year or two and it's still in the box. But the reviews on amazon for the first model (which I think I have) are mixed - some people love them.

Should be an interesting experiment when I get to it! I just want to put them on CD - I don't even have an iPod or MP3 player. :D

Sounds like a new hobby in retirement, where we have time for everything.

I just want to put them on CD - I don't even have an iPod or MP3 player. :D

I'd really recc that you try out a portable music player - so much more convenient than a CD. I'm using a Sansa Clip+, just $30, works and sounds great, and it takes the micro-SD cards in addition to its 4GB internal (mine is 2GB internal). Slip one of those cards in/out and you have essentially unlimited storage. Cards go for less than $1/GB, and an 8GB card holds a lot of music (~ 100 CDs, depending on compression?).

Amazon.com: SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Black): Electronics

You are going to need a computer to do this anyhow. So keep enough disc space (or buy an external) to store the 'masters' of the songs. You can use your computer as the 'jukebox'. Just plug from the headphone jack to the AUX in of your stereo. And if you do need a CD, with the 'master' files, you can burn a mix or anything you want.

-ERD50

Check this out. I've used an earlier version & it worked fine, but was a bit tedious. Sounds like their software might have advanced & made things easier.

I just set up my ION iLP vinyl converter. This one converts to iTunes. It is a $65 purchase. I have downloaded 2 old 45 singles. The process was smooth and then I hooked my shuffle into my computer and it worked just fine, no problems. I can see that this process will be tedious. Concerning the ION, if you are wanting high quality, find something else. This thing can not be made any cheaper and still work. You should get a look at the "needle". It is so cheap it fooled me, I didn't even think the needle was on it! That being said, it fit my needs and serves the purpose, as long as it doesn't break before I get it all done. I am not an audiophile and my records are not in mint shape. I just want some good music that I haven't listened to in over 30 years while I have my daily walking exercise. I guess the next one I will try is this Joe Tex "ain't gonna bump no more with no big fat woman". With a title like that I would think I would remember buying this, but I don't remember him or this song. It must have been popular back in the day or I guess it wouldn't be on a 45 single.

After recording a few more songs, I have to admit its worth the $65 considering all that went into the product, all the cords, software disc, etc. Its amazing anyone can make a profit on these factoring in the shipping, including to my door. Based on what I have done with it, the ION works very well for the purpose I have it to do. If it changes I will comment.

I guess the next one I will try is this Joe Tex "ain't gonna bump no more with no big fat woman". With a title like that I would think I would remember buying this, but I don't remember him or this song. It must have been popular back in the day or I guess it wouldn't be on a 45 single.

I've actually got that cut in my collection along with a lot of other Joe Tex. I like him. Check out Loose Caboose.

One thing to consider when the cd player and/or tape/vinyl player dies is to replace them with a laptop. After you digitize the vinyl and/or tapes, you can play them all with no need to juggle physical media. In addition if there is music on youtube you are interested in you can play it. Of course for CDs if you don't mind changing after each one, you can also just play them on the laptop. (But you might as well rip them if you have the disk space). One could even put ones music on a flash drive, and for at least some vehicles plug it in. (One can buy cd players with a slot for the usb flash, but an older laptop works as well and also has wifi etc.)

I have had the ION for a few years and have converted over 500 songs and many whole albums to digital. It has performed well. I spent decades collecting vinyl, and have reduced my holdings considerably. I offloaded a lot of my music onto an external drive also.

Sounds like a new hobby in retirement, where we have time for everything.
Just like I have used time in retirement to digitize my, my fathers and my grandfathers slides and prints, up to 10k images at this point, and not done yet. If you add the time needed to clean up slides its a great way to spend a lot of time. Digitizing the record collections is next. First step will be to winnow the duplicates and find the better of them, if I decide the record is worth digitizing.

I am not an audiophile, and my record collection wouldn't be considered mint in condition. But, I have noticed the digital songs I have downloaded from iTunes, to have a far superior sound to my album conversions. I don't have any snaps or pops from the lp song conversions, however, the sound doesn't appear to be as "full" as the digital downloads.

I just set up my ION iLP vinyl converter. This one converts to iTunes.

Mulligan, I am confused. What do you mean it converts to iTunes? Do you mean mp3?

JoeWras said:
Mulligan, I am confused. What do you mean it converts to iTunes? Do you mean mp3?

My terminology may be poor, as I am not well versed in this, as my sole purpose is to get music into my iPods to listen to while I walk. The ION record player/converter I bought is only iTunes compatible. The software that came with the record player synchs in only with iTunes. So once I record the LP song, it downloads directly into my iTunes music library on my laptop. I played it safe, by ordering the ION that converts to this as I have IPods that I know will download the music from my iTunes library. I am not knowledgable enough to know if an MP3 player could download the music from ITunes, or if my IPods could down load from another source where music is stored. I didn't want to get caught up in having incompatible equipment, getting mad, swearing and throwing things over this. I kept it simple and it works. It has a docking port on turntable where you can directly download the vinyl song into your IPod. I haven't tried that though. I have been impressed with the simplicity of it all.

Back
Top Bottom