Cool RV for people (like me) who don't like RVs

Arin38

Dryer sheet aficionado
http://www.earthroamer.com/main_truck/vehicles.html

Enough room to be comfortable for a long trip. Nice power systems (incl. solar) so you don't have to hook up to an RV pad all the time. Small enough to tool around towns while travelling. Can go offroad. Decent gas milage for an RV.

Now, if I just had $185,000 laying around the house......

...my post was lonely :'( ....there, now it has some company. My work is done here.

The only thing 'earth friendly' about that camper is that they run theirs on biodiesel, an uncommon fuel in most parts of the US, meaning that 90% of owners will be getting 11mpg on regular old petrol diesel. The F450/550 seems a bit much for what is essentially a trailer-bed camper....

Costco sells a RV solar cell kit for about $800... if I had a camper, this would seem like a no-brainer. :)

Nice RV for the outdoor type person(hunter/fisherman, etc).  We, DW and myself prefer a little more comfort, like a King size bed, in motion satelite and refer with ice maker.  Average about 8mpg towing our Blazer.  It does hurt when I fill up the 150 gallon tank.  IMHO

BTW, I have a solar panel on top, works very efficiently

Dave

I think I saw that thing parked outside of the ThunderDome, Tina Turner was auctioning it off. A little testoneron-y for me (Testoneronie? The real San Francisco treat?)

Hey Dave how about a pic of that beast? DW and I are interested in RV'ing. Done it decades ago and had fun BUT (and this is a big but) most of these bombs IMHO are crimes against nature and physics. You take an ok Chevy chassis and put an oversized squarish box on it, fill it with cabinets and fixtures that aren't screwed down tight enough, then load it with kitchen junk and appliances that slosh around at 65mph. Hit a pothole or speedbump and the contents including passengers are airborne. The whole package has the structural integrity of a bag of Doritos.

All that being ranted, I'll still probably get one...small, fuel efficient, comfy but not luxurious, private crapper for DW, nuf said.

Testosteronie? Pizza Hut's new topping?

Hey, Arin38 post isn't lonesome now.

BUM 8)

Bum, if your interested in fuel effieciency, you might look at the small RVs build on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Uses deisel and gets about 22mpg. This is the van body Fed Ex is using a lot for delivery vans. Tall and fairly narrow.

A number of companies are making small rvs on the body. Leisure Travel, Pleasure Way, Forest River, Airstream, and Gulf Stream to name a few. Sportmobile lets you semicustomize at a relatively low cost.

Laurence said:
I think I saw that thing parked outside of the ThunderDome, Tina Turner was auctioning it off.  A little testoneron-y for me (Testoneronie?  The real San Francisco treat?)

I think he was the quarterback for the TB Bucs :)

JG

BUM said:
Hey Dave how about a pic of that beast? DW and I are interested in RV'ing. Done it decades ago and had fun BUT (and this is a big but) most of these bombs IMHO are crimes against nature and physics. You take an ok Chevy chassis and put an oversized squarish box on it, fill it with cabinets and fixtures that aren't screwed down tight enough, then load it with kitchen junk and appliances that slosh around  at 65mph. Hit a pothole or speedbump and the contents including passengers are airborne. The whole package has the structural integrity of a bag of Doritos.

All that being ranted, I'll still probably get one...small, fuel efficient, comfy but not luxurious, private crapper for DW, nuf said.

Testosteronie? Pizza Hut's new topping?

Hey, Arin38 post isn't  lonesome now.

BUM  8)

Our RV has got to float, otherwise this holds no appeal for us at all.
Different strokes.................

JG

Martha said:
Bum, if your interested in fuel effieciency, you might look at the small RVs build on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Uses deisel and gets about 22mpg. This is the van body Fed Ex is using a lot for delivery vans. Tall and fairly narrow.

A number of companies are making small rvs on the body. Leisure Travel, Pleasure Way, Forest River, Airstream, and Gulf Stream to name a few. Sportmobile lets you semicustomize at a relatively low cost.

Hi Martha,

Saw it. Liked it. I heard that those trucks are hot in the USA now but dirt cheap in Europe and have been popular there for years. Could be BS but the guy said you can fly to Spain buy the truck, have it shipped back while your on your vacation, blah, blah, blah. What I like most about the rig is that I stand up in it. I saw a VW something (not Rialta!) at a show. It looked like an overblown minivan. I liked that because of efficiency and it can dissappear into the garage.

We considered buying one, but with two people AND two dogs, just a little too crowded.

ex_CFO_now_RVer said:
BTW, I have a solar panel on top, works very efficiently

Some people call that a 'bald spot' ;)

I used to know a co-worker who called his bald spot his 'sexual solar panel'...

BUM: Martha made me purchase our current MH, on a Ford chasis. I wanted the Sprinter. The US Sprinter is assembled in Canada. Go to http://www.fl-sprinter.com/ to view all the (bare) models, dimensions and prices. They are now sold at select Dodge or Chrysler dealers in major cities.

Your effort to go the European route will probably be futile. You would have to order a Euro- made MH and then get it thru inspection. If you bought used in Europe, you have the problem of finding close to the the exact used model you want (the good side is you would probably rent a car and travel all over the country side on your quest/ the bad side would be the expense of the trip, time and no warranty.

The bare Sprinter price runs about $30-35K new, to my mind not unreasonable for a large van. Dealers/builders of MHs who buy quantity get a better rate and may pass that on to you. Leisure Travel makes a model that runs between $60-80K. Discounts are frequently available. Take Laurence with for the negotiation part.

I absolutely love these things, and if the Apocalypse happens, you can drive to Minnesota and stay in our back yard--for a couple of days--maybe.

Greg

We had a VW camper when I was growing up (mid 80's), was a small competitor to Westfalia, had a pop up camper top, porta-jon, sink fridge, stove, and slept up to two couples/family of 4. No power, vapor lock in high elevations, feel every bump. With the great camping equipment out there, my DW and I much pefer loading up the Grand Cherokee 4x4, hitting trails and tent camping. Raised cot, air mattress, and all of a sudden it doesn't feel like roughing it!

BUM.
You are right about the following, but at 40 feet long the  ride is quite good.

" most of these bombs IMHO are crimes against nature and physics. You take an ok Chevy chassis and put an oversized squarish box on it, fill it with cabinets and fixtures that aren't screwed down tight enough, then load it with kitchen junk and appliances that slosh around  at 65mph. Hit a pothole or speedbump and the contents including passengers are airborne. The whole package has the structural integrity of a bag of Doritos."

Dave

Greg,

So Martha MADE you buy your MH on a Ford chassis? Must be something special about Ford's chassis, or Martha's chassis :D

Thanks for the after-the-big-one invite. I'll bring the marshmellows.

Back
Top Bottom