Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Of all the things I've lost, I think I miss my memories the most.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I go to the home improvement store almost daily. I buy some stuff I need but fail to remember a few things. So I have to go back the next day to get the stuff I forgot. I need to start writing things down.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I go to the home improvement store almost daily. I buy some stuff I need but fail to remember a few things. So I have to go back the next day to get the stuff I forgot. I need to start writing things down.
Oh yeah. If I fail to write items down when going to the grocery store I will certainly forget something. Even if it's just 4-5 items.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Oh yeah. If I fail to write items down when going to the grocery store I will certainly forget something. Even if it's just 4-5 items.
Yes! Even with I list, I forget an item or two once in a while.

As I mentioned, my list is in my cell phone. This makes me look very trendy; I walk around the supermarket with my head down looking at my phone just like all the young folks.j
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:15 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

We have become religious list makers for shopping, and started using a shared list on reminders app on our phones that we both can see, update and check off while shopping. And that list shows on our watches now, so we just need to look at our wrists in the store and tap to check things off.
Old 10-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

List on the phone? Hah!

Just a couple of days ago, I made a list before going to Home Depot to get stuff, and I forgot to look at the phone when I was there.

And I am sure that it was not the first time that happened, but I could not recall the previous occasion.

And yet, I remember some random things that are not at all important from long ago. It's strange how our memory works.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:15 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

A folded index card with shopping list or to-do items works well.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Until you need a big sheet of yellow paper with large writing, b/c taking out reading glasses in the grocery store is a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
A folded index card with shopping list or to-do items works well.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Here's a small call for help.
For years I have been looking for a very small recorder for points of memory, that requires only the push of a button, to voice record, and a second button the shows a date and a few words of the reminders by sound, but preferably as a small visual note.

I'd like one that fits on a keychain. I've bought several that purpose to be memory joggers, but they're either too simple, of too complex.

Becoming evermore important as the memory problems are accelerating. Keeping up is becoming much more difficult. Jeanie and I are working to simplify, plan, and to trying to learn patience.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I need to start writing things down.
Most of my life I wished for something that you always have with you that will allow you to add an item to a shopping list the moment you think of it.

With phones and computers and tablets always within reach, we have that. Plus a checklist for leaving the house and a notepad for ideas:

Old 10-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #51

I'm with Al. This is a huge benefit of carrying around a cell phone. It's revolutionized the way I shop. I add things to one of several lists (grocery store, dept store, home supply store, on-line, etc.) as I think of them, and pick up everything next time I'm there.

For one-off purchases, I can include part numbers, dimensions, even aisle and bin numbers at Lowe's (from their web site.) I can also make a sketch in a note.

Like Al's "day trip" list, I have a list of "sea bag" items so I won't forget anything when I'm called to go run a boat somewhere on short notice.

You can also list medications, insurance policy numbers, door lock codes, WiFi passwords, etc.

And "to do" lists. I have a bunch of those!

I won't be totally satisfied until I have a USB memory stick port in my skull, so I can store and retrieve this stuff without having to type it in. But this is the next best thing.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Note that this also works:

"Okay Google. Add macadamia nuts to my shopping list."
Old 10-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I was doing some plumbing work yesterday and needed several PVC fittings. I was so proud of myself being able to just look over the project and make mental notes of the 8 different fittings I would need. Then I drove to the plumbing supply store and bought all eight pieces and even a few extras, just in case. I got home and everything worked as I had envisioned it. My engineering mind and memory are still working well I thought to myself.

Then I went to put up my tools and the few extra spare parts I had bought for the little project. As I put up the new spare parts, it was then that I realized that I already had all the parts I had originally needed in my spare parts box. Well at least now I know I've got the parts for next time. Seems like forgetting to check my spare parts "first" has happened to me before, more than once.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Most of my life I wished for something that you always have with you that will allow you to add an item to a shopping list the moment you think of it.

With phones and computers and tablets always within reach, we have that. Plus a checklist for leaving the house and a notepad for ideas:

This is why men need to carry a "man bag" such as an attache case or other purse equivalent. The cell phone, wallet, glasses, kindle (or 3DSXL portable video game console), and keys are all in my purse. And, the thermostat and rain jacket are both right by the door so that's all done sort of automatically when I open the door.

Brushing teeth and so on are part of getting dressed for me. So that about covers your list for leaving the house. Just grab the purse and leave.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So that about covers your list for leaving the house. Just grab the purse and leave.
Ah, but you haven't seen the entire list:

General Day Trip
Kindle
Cell phone
Wallet
Shave
Correct glasses
Rain jacket
Clean car windows
Key
Turn off heat
Brush Teeth
-----------------------------
Coin Purse
Check Shopping List
Comparison parts
Library books and videos
Shopping lists
Snacks
Check DVD Player
BBQ Sauce
Connie & Mike
Ice cubes
Run Roomba
Renew library things
Computer
Computer Glasses
Lena phone
Lena correct glasses
Lena purse
Lena book
Lena knitting
"Connie and Mike" refer to our travel mugs. The ice cubes go in the mugs so that Starbucks doesn't burn our throats.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:42 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
[Ö]
EEK!!! Whew, that's a lot of things to remember!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

General Day Trip
Kindle
Cell phone
Wallet
Shave
Correct glasses
Rain jacket
Clean car windows
Key
Turn off heat
Brush Teeth
-----------------------------
Coin Purse
Check Shopping List
Comparison parts
Library books and videos
Shopping lists
Snacks
Check DVD Player
BBQ Sauce
Connie & Mike
Ice cubes
Run Roomba
Renew library things
Computer
Computer Glasses
Lena phone
Lena correct glasses
Lena purse
Lena book
Lena knitting
"Connie and Mike" refer to our travel mugs. The ice cubes go in the mugs so that Starbucks doesn't burn our throats.

My list: Pants on? Good to go...

(I use Notes on my iphone for grocery and doodoo lists, and various others reminders. I use calendar alerts for appointments at specific times.)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This is why men need to carry a "man bag" such as an attache case or other purse equivalent. The cell phone, wallet, glasses, kindle (or 3DSXL portable video game console), and keys are all in my purse. And, the thermostat and rain jacket are both right by the door so that's all done sort of automatically when I open the door.

Brushing teeth and so on are part of getting dressed for me. So that about covers your list for leaving the house. Just grab the purse and leave.
You forgot the "personal protection device" and "extra projectiles". DW and DD has several purses with a special compartment just for those type of devices, so you do have to fumble through to have instant access.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:25 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Iím getting better. Forgot my iPad heading to the lake house the other day, didnít realize it until I was over 1/2 way there. When I left this morning To come back to the city, I was only 10 minutes up the road before I figured out I left my hat. See, Iím getting better.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

Reminds me of a joke I heard recently:

As we age we start thinking more about the hereafter. Every time I walk into a room I ask myself "what am I here after?"
AnneG is offline   Reply With Quote