Cordless Lawn Edger (*not* string trimmer)

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For some reason, I'm having trouble finding cordless lawn/bed edgers.

Search engines, Amazon, Home Depot etc. keep directing me to gas-powered edger/trenchers, corded lawn edgers, and string trimmers that can be turned sideways. None of these fits my requirements.

Does such a tool exist?

Thanks!

Maybe it is a question of power? Cordless edgers *might* only be good for a string type edger, and may not provide enough longer term power for any other edger technology. I am just speculating.

I couldn’t find anything either. I guess you’re going to have to compromise between either a corded model or a string model. I can’t vouch for a corded model, but if you don’t have a lot of edging to do, as in distance from the house, I’d probably go with a corded unit. I can vouch for the string edgers. I have a Ryobi that is only the 18v battery. It’s a trimmer/edger combo. The head swivels for edging so you don’t have to hold it sideways. It’s really not that powerful and if I was shopping, I’d probably step up to something like the 40v units, but it does the job. I only have about a 40ft driveway and a walk around to the front of the house and the string trimmer does do the job. Mine was even overgrown when I moved into the house and it handled it. If your concern is that the string edgers won’t do the job or that they’re awkward to handle, it might be worth thinking about that. My little underpowered one surprised me.

Last edited:
Here is a cordless one, also wireless :D

049206143791.jpg

I have a manual one with spiked spinning wheel, but I never use it. Unless you have a special situation I would expect that a regular weed whacker could work well enough. Mine powers through the grass and dirt to carve an edge. With a good quality string line, you should not see excessively quick wear.

To echo the other thread topic "Our changing thoughts on possessions..." this is a situation where it is good to make one tool do double duty. :)

This guy's channel is interesting if you are into lawn work:

There's a reason why I don't want a string trimmer, nope, no way. We gave up on string trimmers years ago. The "string" is dangerous, and a pain to deal with - always getting caught or tangled. Injuries and backaches occurred.

The 2-cycle engine was also a pain - at least we don't need to deal with those any more.

We were paying the lawn service to use their gas-powered edger, but the services - all of them - are too aggressive. Over time, I watched as the sod got trimmed farther and farther back, while the line of sand around each tree and bed got wider and wider - the expectation being that the owner would either expand the mulch to cover the bare sand, or hire someone to re-sod the bare areas. They had gotten one edge of the driveway down to a ridiculous 6 inches of grass.

Several attempts at communicating our wishes later, we are back to doing the edging ourselves.

I have a Ryobi 40 volt cordless string trimmer. And I have a universal lawn edger attachment that fits on it.

I walk backward with the edger on, and it cuts the grass and digs a 3" deep trench about as fast as I can walk. It does a good job.

Thanks. I will check out the Ryobi and Kobalt next time I'm at Lowes and HD. Just irks me to get locked into their particular battery and charger.

I'm also considering the Worx corded edger. It's economical, I like Worx's corded chainsaw, and we have a 100-foot cord which reaches most of the lot. But with an edger, that's a lot of cord-dragging and outlet-switching. In fact, to reach some places, it's necessary to thread the cord through a garage window!

There's a reason why I don't want a string trimmer, nope, no way. We gave up on string trimmers years ago. The "string" is dangerous, and a pain to deal with - always getting caught or tangled. Injuries and backaches occurred.

The 2-cycle engine was also a pain - at least we don't need to deal with those any more.

The string in my old gas trimmer would sometimes jam, but I have not had a single issue with my EGO string trimmer. Yeah, you have to wind new string on when it's empty, but that's a simple job that only takes 3-4 minutes and you're off and cutting again. Unless you have a lot of cutting to do, you may only need to wind new string once or twice each summer.

I'm not sure what you mean by string being "dangerous"? While I wouldn't recommend trimming barefoot in your flip flops, I've accidentally hit my shoe a time or two with no issues. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but it's hardly dangerous. Of course, you should wear eye protection with any outdoor tool that flings things (edgers, trimmers, chainsaws, etc.).

My EGO battery powered trimmer actually has more power and a wider cutting path than my old gas trimmer. The only advantage my gas trimmer had was a brush cutting blade. I used that a lot when we first got our property to cut through brush and small trees up to an inch or more thick. But with a defined yard now, I haven't needed to do that in many years and can always grab my limb clipper if needed.

As for backaches, you can get shoulder straps for most trimmers (gas or battery). I bought one for my EGO but it's a little too short so I never use it. Thankfully, the EGO trimmer is lighter than my old gas trimmer. Adjusting the handle so the trimmer is balanced for you helps too.

As for edging a lawn, as long as it's already edged, the trimmer can easily maintain the edge. If you've let the grass grow out over a sidewalk or something, you might need to rent an edger or get an electric one to get things cleaned up.

I also use my string trimmer to clear the moss that grows on sidewalks or between pavers. It uses up the string a bit faster, but it beats kneeling down and cleaning it out by hand.

String trimmer line getting tangled up and not releasing is a sign of a poor quality line. As the spinning line hits objects it can get stretched causing it bind up on itself inside the string head or completely break off. Good quality line has minimal stretch and will take more abrasion before breaking.

I have had good results with the Makita trimmer line as compared to what I used years ago which was horrible in comparison. "Project Farm" did a trimmer line test (not across all brands) and found "Maxpower Twisted" was the best. After his review it sold out on Amazon but is now back in stock.

Last edited:
Technically yes, but I want a stand-alone item, and this requires you to buy some kind of base equipment and then buy attachments. I already have all the other lawn gadgets I need.

EDIT: $300.00 seems awfully steep.

I have the Ego lawn mower and blower. They are fantastic. No more gas.

I am planning to get the edger, string trimmer and chain saw to go with the collection. I currently have the Ryobi 40v cordless edger and it is marginal at best. The Ego should solve that problem.

Back
Top Bottom