Join Early Retirement Today

Cordless Weed Trimmer
Old 07-18-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cordless Weed Trimmer

Anyone have any advice on cordless weed trimmers? Wondering if they were worth the dollars vs a 2-cycle or 4-cycle version. Battery life / time between charges is a concern.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on your needs. I find them fairly gutless and short-lived. But if you've got 500 sq ft of lawn...probably fine.

Then again, I'm the idiot who just bought a 40cc 4 cycle unit. But I've got 20,000 sq ft of grass and weedy crap to deal with.

One way to consider spreading the cost out is to buy one of the "click lock/click link/adaptable" units that takes weed whacker, hedge trimmer,
chain saw/blower/etc heads. One power head, many functions, reasonable maintenance, not a lot of space taken up.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a little black and decker battery-powered weed trimmer. It is less powerful than a plug in electric or gas model. Battery doesn't last that long. I can do almost my entire yard on one charge if I hurry and do a rush job. Yard is 13000 sf (.3 acres) with an average amount of trimming required. It is nice to not worry about a cord or maintaining ANOTHER gas combustion engine. I recently obtained a corded weed wacker for free, but I still use the battery powered one.

BTW, mine was $40 from sears IIRC.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #4

I bought a Ryobi 155R cordless 'weed-wacker' several years ago, after I'd used the neighbor's. It worked great....for about a year and a half until I had to replace the battery. Then it worked great again......until I needed to replace the battery again. The battery cost somewhere in the neighborhood of about $50 or more(IIRC).

Instead of a new battery I went out and bought a 2-stroke Stihl for about $230. It's the same as what we used to use at w*rk, and they can take a beating! The ones at w*rk were used about 8 months a year, about 25-30 hours per week. They lasted about 2 years, before needing rebuilding or replacement. At w*rk we also had used Toro, John Deere, and a couple of others, all with varying degrees of success.....Stihl was, by far, the best.

I figure as much as I use one around here (maybe 4 hours a year), it should last the rest of my life!

Also, we've had electric string trimmers...several of them.....pretty much worthless. And a PITA to drag the cord around.

Personally, I'd recommend a 2-stroke model, preferably a name brand (so you can get parts for it, when needed). We had a real nice off-brand that worked GREAT....until we needed to replace a couple of parts. The manufacture was no longer in business, and search the web as I might, I couldn't find or get ANY parts for it anywhere! Bummer!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I get Weedeater Featherlites at WalMart for $64.00. They are 2 stroke, and last about 5 years before they wear out. Then I buy another brand new one. Seems like I spend less money screwing around than my neighbors with cordless ones do............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Instead of a new battery I went out and bought a 2-stroke Stihl for about $230. It's the same as what we used to use at w*rk, and they can take a beating!
I second buying gas powered and in particular, Stihl equipment. One caveat about Stihl that I found out the hard way is: Use Stihl brand two cycle mix oil only. It costs about twice as much as the cheapo non-branded stuff but it's a lot cheaper than a teardown and rebuild of your beloved chainsaw during wood cutting season.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin View Post
I have a little black and decker battery-powered weed trimmer.
I took out my 40cc head with the 3' hedge cutter attachment on the end and was firing it up just as my wife was stepping out the back door.

She looked over and said "My, thats a wicked looking instrument!"

I'm betting you dont get that with that little battery operated trimmer...

By the way, I'm pretty sure thats not the first time she said that.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I'm betting you dont get that with that little battery operated trimmer...
I'm not trying to compensate for anything...

I just like to git er done. Besides, when the battery dies prematurely, I'm done for the day!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Me neither, I just like having a weed whacker longer than my other 'tools'.

I run out of gas at odd moments, so far that works.

'scuse me while I go plumb my compressor into the hot water lines of the house.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I recently got one of the Black and Decker 18v Cordless weadeaters. So far I like it. It came with two batteries. I can usually do the whole yard with one battery if its fresh. I always keep one in the charger just in case.
I like it. My yard isn't too big though. I edge the sidewalk in front with it and do around the house and landscaping.
Gworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gworker View Post
I recently got one of the Black and Decker 18v Cordless weadeaters. So far I like it. It came with two batteries. I can usually do the whole yard with one battery if its fresh. I always keep one in the charger just in case.
I like it. My yard isn't too big though. I edge the sidewalk in front with it and do around the house and landscaping.
I've had the same unit with two batteries for about three years now. Works great for me but I need to go through both batteries as I have a large yard of approx. 23000 square feet.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #12

ehhh....i wouldnt get a battery unit because of the cost of replacement of batteries, lack of power, inability to do a large job if need be (quickly anyhow), etc

Home depot - echo srm 210 trimmer, $199...should last a lifetime
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #13

Hmmmmmmm... the reviews haven't been steller so far. I/we mow over two acres.. and have a fair amount of trimming to do. Now... 2 cycle vs 4 cycle....

Thanks for the insight, and keep the replies coming if anyone has something to add.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I find the 4 cycle smells better, vibrates less, you dont have to mix gas and oil, although you have to do a half quart oil change once a year or so.

Craftsman aint bad, and they always seem to be clearancing something out. Got mine on clearance for something like $170.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #15

I also suggest buying gas powered and in particular, Stihl equipment. Only blower or weed eater I would ever buy again, definately worth the money.
frayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I also suggest buying gas powered and in particular, Stihl equipment. Only blower or weed eater I would ever buy again, definately worth the money.
I heartily agree. And I prefer 2-stroke over 4......just personal preference after using 2-stroke equipment since my teens. (BTW, my garden tiller is also a Stihl 2-stroker)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I also suggest the Stihl brand. I cut lawns in HS and went through 3 or 4 craftsmen or Ryobi trimmers. When I was looking for a new trimmer, I decided to go with the commercial grade Stihl. Still runs great almost 4 years later. For 2 of those years, I was doing about 15 yards a week during the summer.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #18

With the weed whackin' that I'll be doing, I prefer to spend the money only once, on something that is gonna last.

Thanks for all of the help / wisdom.