Join Early Retirement Today

Cost to Volunteer
Old 06-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cost to Volunteer

I know volunteering is a common thread here. Just wondering what other organizations charge to volunteer. Our youth group charges yearly to register to volunteer on top of the required 1.5 hours of Youth Protection Training.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
I know volunteering is a common thread here. Just wondering what other organizations charge to volunteer. Our youth group charges yearly to register to volunteer on top of the required 1.5 hours of Youth Protection Training.
I do a lot of volunteer work and I have never had to pay anything. However, I usually make charitable donations to the places where I volunteer. I can understand the Youth Protection Training.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a Girl Scout leader I had to pay the regular registration fee for all members. I also paid for the background check and fingerprinting that's required of adults working with children. There are funds available to pay these fees if it's a hardship, but I could afford them and didn't mind. Training was free, though we may have provided our own supplies or food for some types of classes.

With AARP Tax-Aide and the local hospital, there's some free training that's required, but no fees.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:55 PM   #4

I think its pretty common to charge for required background checks, and I can see a small fee for some required training, depending on the work. I found ecological restoration volunteer work for a while with none of the admin BS. Just show up and plant trees...it was great!
Old 06-14-2021, 08:06 PM   #5

We volunteer with Habitat for Humanity both at our local affiliate and with affiliates around the country via their RV Care-A-Vanner program. We have never been charged to volunteer. They do background checks, they provide safety training, provide hard hats, etc.

I guess I "pay" because I bought some steel-toe shoes, gloves, and tools and some specialty items that I prefer using on construction sites. Other than the steel-toe shoes (which are not required), Habitat provides everything else. I simply chose to purchase some items that I like better than the standard issue offered by Habitat. We also "pay" in the sense that we travel in our RV at our expense. However, the costs specifically associated with Habitat can be deducted on taxes if you itemize.

I can imagine that some organizations need help offsetting expenses.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:11 PM   #6

Training is free (other than your time) But $50 a year to be able to volunteer seems a little overboard for the "joy" of volunteering. $50 is nothing but if an organization need volunteers, why charge them? Seems to be a disincentive. My .02
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:27 AM   #7

I belong to an organization which charges a nominal "dues" fee annually. Plus anyone active ends up buying various gear we need, and often donating beyond the dues.

I think it all depends on how the organization is funded and how much it costs to perform the mission. Some places get grants or donations which cover volunteer expenses, others don't.

Volunteering should be for causes you believe in. You have to judge how much time and money they're worth to you, or to society.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
Training is free (other than your time) But $50 a year to be able to volunteer seems a little overboard for the "joy" of volunteering. $50 is nothing but if an organization need volunteers, why charge them? Seems to be a disincentive. My .02
Perhaps ask the organization? Their "need" might not be as urgent as you expect.

Your desired group might be a popular place for people to think they want to volunteer and flake off after a week or three. A youth group might attract a lot of parents who think it's going to be social and fun and then are less enthused once they realize the actual work. If they have more interest than they need, a starter fee might be a good way to filter out the flakes vs. those more committed.

Also, there might be a "cost" to them to administrate, to onboard, and train. Just like a for-profit company, new employees are expensive way beyond payroll, especially the first few months.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
... a starter fee might be a good way to filter out the flakes vs. those more committed. ...
I am sure that this is the thinking in at least some of the organizations that ask for a dues payment. In others (Civil Air Patrol, for example) it is just a way to increase the organization's spending money. I currently volunteer as a small business mentor and with Red Cross. DW volunteers at the local hospital. No requests for money from any of these. DW's retirement hobby, however, is serving on and chairing various nonprofit boards. In many of those there is the implicit expectation that 100% of board members will contribute and, often, that travel and other expenses will be considered donations/not be reimbursed.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #10

I flew 110 missions as a volunteer for Angel Flight West. I paid for the aircraft rental out of my own pocket.
Each mission cost me between $300 and $400, and i was happy to pay it, seeing the gratitude on the patients' faces.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I flew 110 missions as a volunteer for Angel Flight West. I paid for the aircraft rental out of my own pocket.
Each mission cost me between $300 and $400, and i was happy to pay it, seeing the gratitude on the patients' faces.

Good on you. That's a serious commitment but the returns seem priceless.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #12

At some places you may be required to wear specific branded (organization's logo) clothing. You have to buy the shirt, etc., but it becomes a donation as you are required to wear it to do the work. OP: I would ask if the organization will issue you a receipt for the $50 as a donation. It is off-setting their overhead (which is what donations are about).
Old 06-15-2021, 12:51 PM   #13

I must stumble into the right organizations. Never had to deal with fees or background checks or any red tape. Just show up and start helping.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote