Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Head View Post
You need more practice. An experienced drinker wants the first 4 to be good. :-)
I dunno. I would definitely qualify as an "experienced drinker" but since I lost a dozen pounds there are nights where a couple of pints of beer leave me pretty much legless. Search me as to why. But at that point I could care less what is in the glass so long as it does not varnish the back of my throat.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 07:09 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Down here in gringo-land, we get a Scotch that is around $90 pesos ($7 USD)...I mix with Coke, so it tastes as good as Jack at 1/4 the cost...I can afford to be a drunk now.

We also get a Sam's Scotch here for $200 pesos ($15 USD) for 2 Litros... not bad stuff either.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from Costco. They didn't have the Kirkland single here. I did look at that Kirkland vodka bottle, but I'd have to keep it in the garage. Only place I have a tall enough shelf.

I did find the a 1.75L bottle of Bulleits Rye. That was a big surprise. Picked up one of those with a nice bottle of An(squiggle)ejo . Don't know how to do that on this keyboard.

Añejo - cut and paste to the rescue.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:40 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not a fan of spiced rum. Does Kirkland have the non-spiced variety (light or dark)?
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

My local Costco has Mount Gay XO rum, can sip like a whiskey. They had Meyer's and Pyrat too, I did not pay attention to the spiced or light rums. The selection available does vary.
springnr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just got back from Costco. They didn't have the Kirkland single here. I did look at that Kirkland vodka bottle, but I'd have to keep it in the garage. Only place I have a tall enough shelf.

I did find the a 1.75L bottle of Bulleits Rye. That was a big surprise. Picked up one of those with a nice bottle of An(squiggle)ejo . Don't know how to do that on this keyboard.

Añejo - cut and paste to the rescue.
Love the Bulleit Rye! Sipping a glass of it as I type.

I will cry if Costco ever stops carrying it.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
My local Costco has Mount Gay XO rum, can sip like a whiskey. They had Meyer's and Pyrat too, I did not pay attention to the spiced or light rums. The selection available does vary.
Now that's a good rum!
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:55 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm a big fan of single malts, and when we moved to FL last year and I found the Costco liquor store I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. The Speyside Sherry Cask Finish I found was too tempting, much cheaper/oz than most of the ones I drink.

However, I wasn't thrilled. It was OK, as good as maybe Grant's, but definitely not up to Macallan's or Laphroaig. It didn't say who distilled it on the bottle, although I've seen some Costco scotch with Macallans name on the label before.

But still, for the price it's a definite yes. I can enjoy a Jack Daniels even though I prefer a Pappy Van Winkle or a Knob Creek. This is sort of like that, except with Scotch. Go for it.
"...not up to Macallan's or Laphroaig" Not UP to Laphroaig? harley, there are even Glaswegians who won't drink that creosote. It's a joke they pull on first-time tourists.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by springnr View Post
Mount Gay is tasty. Another delicious sipping rum is Pampero Aniversario, but it probably costs a lot more. Venezuelan rums are first class, they almost give them away there, all the Venezuelans drink scotch, even the locally made stuff that would be better used as fuel - I doubt it would even make it as antiseptic.

When I first met my father in law DW said he liked rum, so I brought him a bottle of Meyers. He loved it. He didn't drink a lot so one bottle lasted a good while, and a few years later when I began to travel for work he never again ran out. It was the perfect beginning and we were good friends from then on.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Mmmm, Hacienda Santa Teresa, solera aging makes for some fine sipping. The local rum selection is rather limited, when in Seattle I can usually find something.
springnr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm headed to Puerto Rico soon and then down through several of the islands in the lesser Antilles that I haven't been to yet. I intend on conducting a fact finding tour to add to my rum tasting experience. So much good rum to sample.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the thoughts on scotch and other spirits. Looks like I may have to make another Costco run and try some. I am mostly a wine and craft beer man, but occasionally I enjoy something I can sip. Still, a bottle of sipping whisky will last me a year or two.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:31 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
"...not up to Macallan's or Laphroaig" Not UP to Laphroaig? harley, there are even Glaswegians who won't drink that creosote. It's a joke they pull on first-time tourists.
I'm not surprised that a bunch of lowlanders can't appreciate a good Islay single malt. They blend their whiskey to make it smoother. Probably feel the same about Bowmore and Lagavulin. Actually, the creosote comment isn't too far off, but I do like my scotch peaty and smoky. I once had a bottle of Ardbeg Ugeadail (sp?) and it is probably my all time favorite. I could still taste it a couple of days after I drank it.

But it isn't right to compare a Speyside to an Islay. Maybe I should have said Macallan or Dalwhinnie. Better comparisons. Either way, the Costco single malt was a significant step down, while still being good for the price.

I appreciate the highland and Speyside single malts, but I'm not a big fan of the Lowland blended whiskeys.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
I'm headed to Puerto Rico soon and then down through several of the islands in the lesser Antilles that I haven't been to yet. I intend on conducting a fact finding tour to add to my rum tasting experience. So much good rum to sample.
If you can find it, be sure to try Don Q Gran Anejo. On my last trip to PR 4 years ago I was lucky enough to find a bottle and it still sits in my cabinet awaiting a special occasion. Perhaps that will be the day I book another trip to PR.

I was also pretty fond of Ron de Barrelito 3 and 5 star.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote