Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oh that's another objection to Costco that I forgot to mention. Being single, for me the huge quantities are just insane. I didn't see anything there that I wanted that came in a reasonable quantity (for me).
We get some long lasting staples at Costco like coffee and assorted nuts. Meat and bread we put in a chest freezer. But even with two in our household most produce is in too big of quantities for us to use up and the prices are not the best compared to other stores in our area.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
They have a car-buying service- new AND used! I haven't tried it but I might when I need to replace a car. Anything to avoid the BS and haggling at dealerships.
New Costco member here... new store nearby,

I gave the "new car buying service" a test last last December when I was in the market for a new GMC Colorado Pickup truck. Costco was offering a $700 cash card if you made a deal with a auto dealer. So I signed up and got a "certificate".

One word - DISASTER!

Costco lined me up with two dealers. One I made an appointment with and went there (40 miles away). Salesman stood me up for the appointment. They had no truck that we discussed ahead of time. Sales Manager said Costco gets "supplier pricing" but could not tell me how that compared to a walk in offer. I left.

Second dealer appointment: bait and switch with the truck we discussed was actually previously sold. Nice. Same thing - supplier pricing with no explanation as to how that compares to a private deal. (maybe they don't want you to know?)

So I went to another GMC dealer that did not participate in the Costco deal. Walking in and pricing a truck got me a $5K less pricing deal than similar Costco supplier pricing baloney (they gave me a ballpark number). About a 10% difference off MSRP for someone with shoes on and can find their way home. I asked more about supplier pricing and was told that the pricing was aimed at fleet buyers and you could do better on your own. I don't know how true that was, but we all know that vehicle pricing is hard to figure and the dealer always wins.

Look, I have bought many cars in my life and several of them new. I am not a novice to this process and have pretty good negotiating skills. No way would I use this service (if that's what you want to call it) to buy a vehicle.

I still have not bought the truck - spending the money on dental work instead!

But, six months later, Costco is still bombarding me with car buying e-mails and I can't shut it down!!
Old 06-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

My household is one person so it can be difficult to buy in bulk, especially perishables, although I have plenty of storage room.

Rental Cars - I save enough to pay the membership cost on one vacation rental car and I usually rent twice a year.
Gas
Frozen fish and shrimp - wild salmon comes in single vacuum packed filets so convenient for a single person.
Frozen berries
Organic milk
Yogurt
Beef and organic chicken breasts
Packaged salads
Campari tomato
Rotisserie chicken
Vitamins and supplements
Quality skin lotions
Halloween candy - I live in a very popular neighborhood.
Microwave, coffeemaker, and Foodsaver/bags - brand name and good prices
Cleaning supplies
Batteries
Printer Ink
Handmade Christmas cards and gift tags - the gift tags are a big hit and can be used as toys or Christmas tree ornaments.

Other threads have raved about their fancy Parmesean cheese and similar items. I don't care for their produce - even if I find it in a reasonable size, it tends to go bad quickly. I have not found their fruit to be that flavorful (e.g., fruit bowl, apples, peaches) - will have to check out the berries and pineapple. Their highest quality coffee is the French Roast which I do not like. I don't care for most of their home goods although I have not tried the bedding. There was recently a great deal on a high quality touchscreen laptop but I did not want touchscreen. Same with TVs when all the good deals were for smart TVs.

I have read that their paper goods and cleaning supplies are not that much of a bargain and that you can find better deals at Target or Walmart when items are on sale. Since I work, I don't have time to check prices so Costco is convenient and prices are very reasonable if you can store the excess items.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:06 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

We live an hour away from any Costco but go down to the big city once a month and multitask.
This list is pretty representative of what we buy at Costco:
Copper River Salmon (in season)
Lamb chops
Manchego Cheese
Wild King Salmon burgers (frozen)
3 lb bags of coffee beans
toilet paper, paper towels
occasional bottle of wine or vodka
gas in the car
occasional electric device (Braun shaving razor the most recent)
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

And if the Costco store savings aren't enough, I often have their big all beef hot dog (,polish or brat) with a 20 oz soda with refill for $1.50. I don't like or eat hot dogs otherwise, but for $1.50 if I'm at Costco at lunchtime - sometimes I cave for the sake of LBYM.

BTW, I avoid Costco at lunch Mon-Fri and on weekends. It's too crowded then, and lots of people are there just to make a lunch of grazing all the free samples (for shame).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And if the Costco store savings aren't enough, I often have their big all beef hot dog (,polish or brat) with a 20 oz soda with refill for $1.50. I don't like or eat hot dogs otherwise, but for $1.50 if I'm at Costco at lunchtime - sometimes I cave for the sake of LBYM.

BTW, I avoid Costco at lunch Mon-Fri and on weekends. It's too crowded then, and lots of people are there just to make a lunch of grazing all the free samples (for shame).

Why "for shame"?
Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And if the Costco store savings aren't enough, I often have their big all beef hot dog (,polish or brat) with a 20 oz soda with refill for $1.50.
I know people who live near an IKEA store who frequent it for the same reason. IKEA has a very similar hot dog/drink combo at I think the same price. But the Costco hot dogs are both bigger and better IMHO.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

During the winter season, a lot of snowbirds show up at Costco for free samples on Fridays and Saturdays, but I think they also buy a lot. I don't think there is shame in it.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

[QUOTE=athena53;1894930]1. They treat their employees well. That's important to me.
  • Ditto, this is a huge deal to us.
  • I love the eyeglass department - I get a better price buying there than I do with my employer vision insurance.
  • Shoes - just got a $12 pair of sandals that I'm in love with.
  • Great meat - pork, chicken, beef.
  • The roasted chickens for $4.99. GREAT fast meal on a busy evening.
  • Dog food

I could go on & on, but all of the above, coupled with the several hundred dollar rebate we get each year make it worthwhile for us.

That said, had I not discovered Costco (& Amazon) I'd probably be retired by now.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Don't know why people complain about Costco crowds - took these pictures about 11AM on Wednesday, January 11 this year at the Costco near the airport in Portland Oregon:

http://i.imgur.com/aUXyc5H.jpg

checkout:

http://i.imgur.com/0ICxzpz.jpg

parking:

http://i.imgur.com/N9HMFjo.jpg
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:26 PM   #51

I may have missed this being mentioned - the credit card.
https://citicards.citi.com/usc/Costc...PS/default.htm

We are a two person household, but we do a lot of our own cooking from scratch. It took some time to figure out what we could buy and use up without spoilage, but we now shop there almost every other week.

Being ER'd, we never venture near the stores on weekends.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Don't know why people complain about Costco crowds - took this picture about 11AM on Wednesday, January 11 this year at the Costco near the airport in Portland Oregon:

http://i.imgur.com/aUXyc5H.jpg
I try to stay away from ours on the weekends, and the one in Atlanta is crazy!!!!

Timing is everything.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I may have missed this being mentioned - the credit card.
https://citicards.citi.com/usc/Costc...PS/default.htm

We are a two person household, but we do a lot of our own cooking from scratch. It took some time to figure out what we could buy and use up without spoilage, but we now shop there almost every other week.

Being ER'd, we never venture near the stores on weekends.
We usually freeze at least half of the meat/poultry/seafood we buy, using a vacuum sealer if needed. That works out well.

Produce and fruit we can usually use it within a couple of weeks for two people, and they do a good job of handling and cooling the produce so it usually lasts that long. I carefully check expiration dates. We know what we can use in a week or two, so we don't buy too much.

We often visit weekly.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Wr also have rented cars through Costco--maybe not the absolute cheapest but close, and second driver is included at no extra charge.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 PM   #55

I dont like the whole Costco ,BJ's scene. I find the place un appetizing. Very industrial , if i had 10 kids or was trying to save big bucks i would maybe forgo the atmosphere and shop there. Not for me.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #56

Just got back from visiting Costco...

We go (mostly) once a month. We buy most of our meat there - excellent steaks, a big back of chicken breasts and chicken thighs, and always a couple of kinds of frozen fish. This summer I've been buying ribs there for my new smoker.

We buy tons of other stuff there. But what are the best deals? their rental car rates are very good. I always shop around and almost always end up there. Their cheeses are very good.

Their "drug store" stuff is good. We buy the big bottles of generic aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. there and same with soap and shampoo.

Oh and their nuts are tasty and a good price.

And I usually buy my tires and gas their too.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
We usually freeze at least half of the meat/poultry/seafood we buy, using a vacuum sealer if needed. That works out well.
THIS.

We (well, DW) always vacuum seals most of the fresh meat when we get home in usable portion sizes for us.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #58

Thanks everyone for the input. Doesn't seem I missed much as most of the "i always get" were things I noticed and considered, and either have a better alternative already, or were on the "plus" column.

I have the say the staff who do samples seemed very...enthusiastic, and if anything I wanted to get away from them fast - very loudly enticing customers so it had the opposite effect on me lol. Also maybe it was just me, but it seemed a high number of customers don't look where they are going and I avoided several near misses just walking around. Like way more than at the supermarket. Maybe I was just harder to spot as I was the only one without a giant cart.

I do like a nice rotisserie chicken but no way would I deal with their parking lot and checkout line to go there at dinnertime just to save $3 vs. publix or fresh market. (Need to get those when I'm ready as they are just not as good re-heated I find. Did I mention I'm picky? lol)

But the fact that you can cancel any time and get your fee back (prorated or full, will check it out) makes it worth trying I think.

Mine has a liquor store though I didn't check that out yet. I could also see myself planning a visit every few weeks just to go walk around and see what's new, and if the Kirkland Pinot Grigio is good well then....
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #59

I don't like the Roti chicken at Costco. I've read they spread something to roast. I can roast mine at home much cheaper, sometimes I can have roasted chicken for $3.00 here.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I don't like the Roti chicken at Costco. I've read they spread something to roast. I can roast mine at home much cheaper, sometimes I can have roasted chicken for $3.00 here.
Do you raise your own chickens?