Costco? What makes it awesome for you?

I find it annoying too - plus, I don't understand how it prevents theft. They "check" the cart against the receipt. If you steal something, why would you put it in the cart? I think it is more about sending a message that you are being watched (which you are anyway with copious numbers of security cameras, no doubt).
I'm putting up with it, but that's not to say it won't cause me to eventually pull the plug because of it
My understanding is it's to prevent theft where employees are involved... Like a cart full of pricey stuff - with a receipt for only half the items... If your items don't match the receipt - the CHECKER gets in trouble...

I guess the case of beer "missed" under the cart of friends was pretty common.

At our store the checker and boxer/bagger person are definitely working together to make sure everything is accounted for.

I know they generally count items and make sure it matches the receipt. I also notice that the usual workers tend to recognize us and go through very quickly. Someone we haven't seen before counts more carefully.

Since it's already tough to get through the checkers without having all your stuff priced, I've wondered why they need another check at the exit. But I figure they do it for a good reason and it must save them money, otherwise they wouldn't do it. And maybe it is to check the checkers, hadn't thought of that.

We've been Exec members for 3 years, and it's saved us after membership fees every year. For the first few months we carefully compared prices between our Costco vs our alternatives (Target and our local grocery chain), and found we saved our membership fee within a month on prices alone. But we got a rebate from AmEx (now Visa) and another from Costco that made the savings that much greater. For us:
  • We use Gas Buddy, but Costco is usually 10-20 cents/gallon less on gasoline than all local competitors.
  • The Costco bakery and prepared foods are a good value.
  • They have good fresh fruit and veggies, but the quantities are usually too much, just two of us.
  • The house brand, Kirkland, is generally good value.
  • Good prices on basic clothing, but not couture.
  • We wouldn't buy any big ticket items without looking at Costco too, their prices on TVs, cameras, PC laptops, etc. are often the best around.
  • We've saved some money using Costco travel. They have many services some members don't even realize are available.
  • Their prices on glasses are lower than For Eyes or anyone else local.
  • Great prices on personal care items, though you have to accept larger quantities.
  • Better prices on soft drinks, cleaning products, most frozen and boxed foods, laundry.
  • Great wine selection at our Costco, but their wine/beer/liquor prices are often not as low as local discount liquor stores except buying larger sizes.
  • A choice for tires, but most local tire dealers are comparable.
It's been more than worth it for us, but you have to compare for yourself. We go about once every two weeks.
Wow - 3 years!!!

Gosh - it doesn't seem that long ago when you were asking for folks opinions about Costco here.

Time flies!!!

All four of the nearest Costcos are packed all day, every day. People are trying to squeeze through the door at closing. I just looked at them on Google Earth. The three that have gas stations have long lines. The lots are full or mostly full.

I like going to Costco in Arizona. Unless you go on the weekend or peak time on weekdays, you can generally find a parking space not too far from the door. The aisles are less crowded and people aren't as rude. In Tempe, there is rarely a long line at the gas station. No silly CRV to pay on bottled water and you can arbitrage by redeeming the bottles in California.

There are definitely a few Costcos that are nightmares. I've visited one in Atlanta - Brookhaven, and it was the first time I had ever seen a Costco parking lot full, and it was a massive parking lot!!! And yes, it was very busy inside. I don't remember whether it was a weekend or not. But I had never seen anything like it except in Hawaii, and Hawaii wasn't nearly as bad except for the gas lines.

There are definitely a few Costcos that are nightmares. I've visited one in Atlanta - Brookhaven, and it was the first time I had ever seen a Costco parking lot full, and it was a massive parking lot!!! And yes, it was very busy inside. I don't remember whether it was a weekend or not. But I had never seen anything like it except in Hawaii, and Hawaii wasn't nearly as bad except for the gas lines.

We have one of those that's always full too. Have to circle the lot and hope for parking. THAT is where I draw the line - I don't care how far away from the entrance I park, but I won't put up with fighting over parking spaces. Just in time, they opened a second store (a little further but not much) in the area, so now I go there. Pretty crowded too, but you can always find parking. All is good again :D

We have one of those that's always full too. Have to circle the lot and hope for parking. THAT is where I draw the line - I don't care how far away from the entrance I park, but I won't put up with fighting over parking spaces. Just in time, they opened a second store (a little further but not much) in the area, so now I go there. Pretty crowded too, but you can always find parking. All is good again :D
Atlanta, Brookhaven Costco did have the largest wine selection I'd ever seen at a Costco.

That's where the Costcowineblog.com guy shops AFAIK.

If Costco doesn't have it, you don't need it! Between my wife and myself we probably only go 2-3 times a week. Two teenage sons makes it worthwhile.
Curious to others end of years rewards. No business purchases, but we do all gas at Costco or on Costco Citi card.
Executive membership I think is $110, but between Costco and City rebates we usually get 700 - 900.00 back!

No one else mentioned Costco usually only marks up 8-10% over cost, and I think maximum markup is 14%. Anything you buy is at least a decent deal, and might be an awesome deal. You need know the price codes....* items, cost ending
.97, .99, and .00.

No one else mentioned Costco usually only marks up 8-10% over cost, and I think maximum markup is 14%. Anything you buy is at least a decent deal, and might be an awesome deal.

That's one of the main reasons I buy big-ticket items at Costco. I'd mentioned the mattress; you go into a mattress store and they have $500 mattresses and $5,000 mattresses and you never know how inflated the price is. Costco made it simple. I'll be doing the same when my car needs tires.

Ah, yes! The gas lines at Costco. Not so bad now that gas prices on Island are nearly the same as mainland prices (nor are US gas prices all that high anymore.) Back when gas was over $4.50 on Oahu, the gas lines at Costco spilled out onto Alakawa and stretched all the way back to Dillingham. It was a zoo!

....., bulk basmati rice....., a rotisserie chicken is a must buy and gives us 2 or three meals for $5!

We have a Sam's membership as it's really close, and I find the rotisserie chicken is much better/bigger and a few dollars cheaper than our local grocery store.

That plus the gas savings over a year means I save at least my membership.

I would pick Costco over Sam's , but it's much farther away.

We have one downtown that charges for parking! We can always find a spot! But the next closest has free parking and often is full.

The best thing about my Costco membership is that it's free. :) The DW works there so she gets three executive memberships at no cost.

Tires

Rental Cars (sometimes)

Coffee K Cups

Thet have the best return policy. The DW tells me crazy stories of customers bringing back items that are many years old. Some people even bring back dead roses after Valentine's Day saying that they died too soon. :LOL:

I shop at Costco for some food items, like coffee or salmon, and paper goods. Unless traveling, I buy all my gas there, though as a low-mileage Prius driver I don't save much. I do buy bigger ticket items there (TV, surround system, laptop). The primary benefit is the cash-back Costco Visa.

Sam's story, not Costco. Friend purchased a Smoker 8 years ago. It had a 10 year warranty. The grates wore out, and the company was out of business. He took it back, no receipt. They looked his purchase up and gave him a full refund, on an 8 year old smoker heavily used!

I refuse to pay to shop, so I don't go to Costco unless it's with a member.

I have one thing I love about Costco, the fresh large Halibut sections which I filet and freeze the other half. The King crab legs I bought there sucked, so I'll never get them again and all the other stuff you just have to buy too much of so I have no use for membership.

A checker at the grocery told me "you can get this much cheaper at Costco" as I was buying a quart of olive oil one day and I replied "a quart will last me so long I'll have to toss some because it's rancid. How much do I have to buy at Costco a gallon?

"Two gallons" was her reply. Cool, I buy 2 gallons and toss 7 quarts rancid. I'm really saving money now...

I visited their liquor store today... for brand items the prices were the same at Total Wine, so that is not helping the case for joining.

I visited their liquor store today... for brand items the prices were the same at Total Wine, so that is not helping the case for joining.
Costcowineblog did a comparison once. They found big differences: Secret Wine Shopper: A Price Comparison of Total Wine vs Costco - CostcoWineBlog.com

But seriously, you don't have to shop at Costco. It either easily works for you or it doesn't. Since membership is refundable, you risk nothing $ wise, but time wise it may be too much trouble to try for a rime period.

Last edited:

I guess that's it then, you don't see any benefit in joining. One less person in line at one of the crowded Costco's.:dance:

How are you visiting so much without joining? If you are going with people who are a member, you could just have them buy whatever you might want when you need something Costco-ish. If they are dragging you against your will to a place that you dislike so much based on your comments here, you have my sympathy :LOL:! No way I'd go voluntarily if I were you.

DS thinks Costco membership makes me buy stupid things that I wouldn't otherwise but he doesn't turn down the cheezy totally unnecessary Elsa and Anna pjs and dolls and tutus we've picked up there for the mini DGDs

You can buy alcohol at Costco without being a member.

Really! I had no idea--we rarely buy it anyway (we have it on hand but DH doesn't drink at all and my palate runs to concoctions with umbrellas in them), but good to know.

Back
Top Bottom