Counter-top Dishwashers - Anyone have one ?

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
They are available by special order here in the US , Have not seen any on display. This is for an elderly relative who has a very small kitchen, no room for a portable and cabinet install of even the compact models is also impractical.

I understand they are common in Asia and Europe.

Brand Reviews ?

Nice! Never knew such a thing existed. I'm thinking this would go great in my bar, and it would be a sort of back-up for times when the main dishwasher is full.

Nice! Never knew such a thing existed.

+1. The link mexexpat gave has a good product description and some comments. One user hooked it up directly to their plumbing supply (and drain?) so the water line wasn't crowding the faucet/sink area. That sounds like a good way to go, if the situation allows it.
I'd likely prefer to just hand-wash things than use something like this, but lots of folks love a dishwasher, and this would be good for them.

Never knew they existed...

Do you hook up with the sink faucet and drain down the sink?

When I was really young we had a full size portable dishwasher that we used to have to hook up to the sink... after a year or so my dad installed an under the counter one...

We bought it in 2008 because our first home in MX, while a brand new rehab, was built to MXN specs and the lower counter height would not accommodate a regular dishwasher. I did not want to give up counter space, so we had our carpenter frame it out so it was just below the counter. It looked great (it was stainless and modern looking)! It was a front-load not top load; top-load was more common in earlier renditions of counter-top d/w's back then.

It was installed by our plumber and drained directly as any d/w would (not into the sink).

I do remember that it took us a month of shopping to find one in MX in 2008 (found it at upscale department store Liverpool in Guadalajara) and it cost twice as much as a similar full-size d/w! Frankly we preferred it to the standard size since it's just the 2 of us and we only eat one meal at home daily.

Last edited:
I bought one for my mum years ago. Got a plumber to hook it up to water and drainage. It works well but is a bit small when she has visitors.

Hers is an Elektrolux model.

Link to Norwegian site for pics if you like:

https://www.electrolux.no/kitchen/d...s/free-standing-compact-dishwasher/esf2300dw/

Another option is one that goes under the counter top but is only 60% of the width. It will have room for more dishes than the counter top one. My friend has one of these.

Nice! Never knew such a thing existed.

Neither did I. DW would have loved that in our old house that did not have a dishwasher and we would have sprung for it had we known. We considered having one installed but that would have required a complete kitchen redo and even DW had to acknowledge that a dishwasher wasn't worth that much.

The current house does have a full-size dishwasher in it.

We had one we stuck in the kids bathroom to wash baby bottles when they were little. It was fantastic and worked really well. Definitely a worthwhile purchase.

Looking close at this model. It's about mid price.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-C...-6-Place-Settings-Capacity-MCSCD6W5/302892880

Also considering moving to a live aboard boat. Would get one for the boat too if the water usage is low. EDIT Looks like 10.5 liters of water per cycle on normal.

I was pondering whether these would make sense on a boat, too. First, you have to assume you have generator or shore power. Real cruisers, especially sailors, will probably balk at that idea.

Beyond that, it's just too darn easy to wash dishes by hand, if you ask me. Even if I run the generator for an hour or two a day, and run the dishwasher then, I'd probably still never use it. I generally have the dishes done (by hand) shortly after a meal anyway.

Then there's the space it takes up. Space is almost always at a premium on a boat. A boat big enough for one of these counter top units, is probably big enough for a proper built-in unit.

The only advantage I could see would be if you had to convince a spouse who wasn't sure about living aboard.

Back
Top Bottom