Couples who eat differently

DW does most of cooking so she runs the show. Conventional food pyramid meals. I can eat anything after years of grazing on the road. Beans and rice are fine as well as picking up a couple roadside lobsters in New England. Whatever the area provided. Sometimes all protein, sometimes all carb.

Wow... it's hard to imagine how someone with that kind of diet actually manages to survive. That sounds like astronomical amounts of salt and refined carbs, way too much grease and saturated animal fats, and practically zero fruits and veggies. How can a person actually exist (and remain even semi-healthy) on food that's of such low nutritional quality for more than a few months? :confused:
It's sad how many people eat. I've hung out on the MFP site and seen the shocked poster's who realize they had 6000 mg of sodium and they haven't had dinner! It's the first time they've ever thought about sodium let alone measuring it. Same kind of diet, mainly fast food.

Wow... it's hard to imagine how someone with that kind of diet actually manages to survive. That sounds like astronomical amounts of salt and refined carbs, way too much grease and saturated animal fats, and practically zero fruits and veggies. How can a person actually exist (and remain even semi-healthy) on food that's of such low nutritional quality for more than a few months? :confused:

I've known the guy for 10 years and he's been on the same diet the whole time, he is probably well preserved

I follow a strict vegan, plants-only diet and have for more than 5 years. DH is omnivore. We typically eat breakfast separately since I sleep later. Dinner is together and not really an issue since the only thing different is our protein. There is a drawer in the fridge for his (and the dogs') meat. I do feel strongly about the ethics and health consequences of eating dairy products so we don't have these in the house. He will eat cheese when we go out and I don't judge or comment. After all, we do live in [emoji631]. I appreciate how respectful and supportive he is of my food choices; to the point of having several vegan dishes he makes for us both, baking excellent vegan cookies, ect. It works for us.

My wife and I rarely eat the same thing. She cannot tolerate anything slightly acidic or spicy. We've been cooking our separate meals for 24 years now. Luckily, we are very similar in every other aspect of our lives.

DW and I are pretty compatible. I eat low carb and she has celiac. This overlaps enough that dinners are the same for us - basically a meat and a veg or two/salad. She used to make rice as a side, but she stopped doing that a while back.

She fixes dinner for the both of us. I fix breakfast (usually an omelet). We fix our own lunches.

We eat differently close to half of the time. Certain foods she loves I am allergic to, certain foods I love she is allergic to. I have a family history of HBP so no added salt in my food. I have not had weight issues so certain things I can enjoy in moderation DW, who has had in the past and was susceptible to "comfort eating" avoids. DW and our kids love hot spicy foods from the old country, whereas I do not. But it works out fine, and it helps that I can cook as well.

My wife is a picky eater. I am the cook and usually cater to her tastes. I cook what she likes and we share the same meal. I indulge in my favorite foods when we eat out.

Last edited:
We eat different all meals. He's a tea, bacon breakfast person. I'm coffee, oatmeal and fruit. I don't eat lunch and he eats whatever on the road or at meetings. Dinner, he's a meat, potato and salad guy. He doesn't like fish or rice and only eats fried chicken! I'm boneless chicken/fish, veggie/salad and rice or yam. My meal is quick to make so there's no problem making two meals.

2eg7m84.jpg

My wife's creation tonight, she calls it a sukiyaki roll, it's ground pork and shrimp with mushrooms wrapped in a cabbage leaf and steamed. I was able to eat this dish, she doused hers with hot sauce and I just took a little dribble.

My wife has always done the cooking and is great at it. I eat everything she makes and I have never complained one time for what she has made or what it has tasted like. I really don't remember one meal that I hadn't eaten or I didn't like she has made. We have been married 35 years. I also will say I like everything I don't know of one thing I don't like so it makes it easy.

We have Vietnamese friends, Houston residents for 42 years; seems to me that they, like us, eat pretty much anything. À Chacun Son Goût , I guess.

Eh, I recall that you do not eat lobster. Obviously, that is not in your "pretty much anything". :)

Eh, I recall that you do not eat lobster. Obviously, that is not in your "pretty much anything". :)

I'm not impressed by lobster, and I'd prefer alternatives, but I won't refuse to eat it if it's part of a limited option........unlike some of the examples here of people who will refuse to eat XXX or YYY.

We pretty much eat the same meals. Mostly my cooking but DH does lots of the breakfasts. A wide variety too.

We tend to eat a few different snacks.

Last edited:
We eat the same dinner, which is usually a primal or paleo, but with extra stuff for him and are on our own for other meals. Now that he's retired, we share the dinner cooking, and he's good about making the low-carb stuff. He eats a lot of peanut butter and wheat bread between meals. When he feels the need to lose weight, he just skips jam on his toast and eating chocolate after dinner. So annoying. . .

I often make our big meal at lunch and we eat it together. He has become lactose intolerant so have to not put cheese on or in things. If I want cheese in a casserole I just separate into 2 baking dishes and add it to mine. The other meals we are on our own. I am a picky eater and have texture issues. So I can't eat something if I can't tolerate the texture. I definitely don't draw attention to it and if going somewhere where I suspect I won't enjoy the food I eat before I go. My good friends all know and will make things I like. At restaurants I have learned to preface my order with I am going to be fussy so that they pay attention. Otherwise they don't listen and bring my food all wrong. I would not send something back over a pickle but a sauce or something I did not want on my sandwich is going back.

... My good friends all know and will make things I like...

Yep, my friends and family do that too and I reciprocate. It seems like there are a lot more food sensitivities or people just watching what they eat. It doesn't take much time to fix something a little different. I don't like spicy food and friends will make me a little separate plate/bowl so I can enjoy what everyone else is having without the "fire".

We have 3 kids to cook for too, so while we try to all eat the same thing it doesn't always happen. DW loves spicy food (she's Thai; dried thai pepper is a condiment always on our table and she abuses that stuff liberally). I like spicy but not like DW. Kids mostly like it but 1-2 won't eat it if it's too spicy. So we add spice or spicy sauces later as necessary.

We do a lot of bigger meals with intentional leftovers so we can have a quick meal(s) at a later point. That solves the problem of having meals that some don't like. Today for lunch, for example, DW made ceviche from raw tuna and shrimp. I don't like raw seafood at all (way better cooked!) so I skipped it and had yesterday's leftover whole grain spaghetti and meat sauce with roasted turkey sausage. Dinner was scavenged from the leftover spaghetti (DW had that and I had a tiny bowl of it) plus a fresh salad for me. We ate at different times in front of the TV and didn't eat till ~9 pm since we had a busy afternoon and evening.

Weekends are sometimes hectic and the family doesn't always eat together so we often eat different things at different times. However, weekdays are pretty consistent schedule-wise so we all eat together for dinner. We usually have something cooked from scratch and all eat the same thing (or at least have a couple different sides/veggies so the picky can choose the least bad alternative).

We might or might not have different meals in a restaurant, but at home usually the same.

Dietary or health issues may be a reason a couple's diets diverge over time.

We used to eat the same thing. I did not cook, and just ate whatever my wife cooked. Over time, my wife ate less and less meat, and I liked protein so learned to cook some dishes that she did not know how.

We are now old enough to have to watch out for blood glucose. I got into the habit of testing my fasting blood glucose every week. I strive to keep it under 100. I do not have to take any medicine, and want to stay that way. Diabetes is no fun, and I do not want to suffer later.

I discovered that my tolerance for carb and sugar went down. If I eat too much bread or sweet corn for example, my fasting blood glucose shoots up. So, I cannot eat as much of the carby dishes that my wife prefers, and have to make my own low-carb dishes. My wife has to watch out for her own health, as I do for mine.

Last edited:
Dietary or health issues may be a reason a couple's diets diverge over time.

There is some of that going on here too. A bit over 25 years ago I learned that I cannot eat anything with gluten in it. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, oats, and barley.

When one is faced with a future with no pizza and no beer, it makes you think. Is life worth living?:(

Well, yes, because there is wine, and later on gluten-free other foods, including pizza although I'll admit it isn't as good as the genuine stuff.

And about five years ago I developed an allergy to fish. I used to really enjoy a grilled salmon steak or even a simple tuna salad sandwich, but alas, no more for me.

Getting older can be a real pain in the butt but I guess it's better than the alternative.

Back
Top Bottom