Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How long did you court your most recent spouse before you got married?
I'm gay and living in a place that does not allow me to marry. 2 3.33%
I've never been married. 9 15.00%
Less than one month. 1 1.67%
One to 6 months. 6 10.00%
6 months to 1 year. 10 16.67%
1 year to 18 months. 6 10.00%
18 months to 2 years. 8 13.33%
2- 5 years. 7 11.67%
more than 5 years. 11 18.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Courtship
Old 04-09-2006, 02:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Courtship

Just curious.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Courtship
Old 04-09-2006, 03:08 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Being gay doesn't necessarily exclude marriage, depending on locale and/or definition of "marriage."

bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:01 AM   #3

I had been living with a Flight Attendant(Female) for a couple of years, met my wife while demonstrating some OR Equipment, 5 months later , we were married.

I knew the moment I met her that it was going to happen.

FA married a University Professor, it workd out exceptional for them both, perfect couple.(She is smarter than he is, he is just more educated).
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:30 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Single. 1976-2005 a long one night stand.

Halloween Party near work at a large hotel. The plain clothes cops have me at gun point frisking me and this little 5 foot snot comes out of the crowd and starts giving them hell cause they pulled the wrong guy out of the crowd. I'm moderately blasted and flattered cause the description was for a guy ten years younger. Longer story but the rest is history.

Maybe someday I'll make it back to New Orleans - before I get too old.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think it was 1976 we met. Married 1986.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I think it was 1976 we met. Married 1986.
Who has the commitment issue, you or Greg?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #7

1987 - Had been single for about a year from a verbally abusive relationship, sister talked me into going out with her one night, her husbands best friends dad was there, recently single also. He followed me home that night, he never left, married 10 years later because he needed health insurance, will be married 10 years this Aug so I guess it's going to work out

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
ReWahoo: Doubt if Martha will have to face the commitment issue as long as she keeps working.

After a year or so of "Apocolypse" full time, I'm sure that will be an option worth exploring.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:08 AM   #9

curious at 52? you missed all the best years.

i would echo bpp's remark. the discrimination, even when unintentional, is so much more insidious. though recognized as partners in life, after 10 years and the death of one, hardly a single str8 i know including most family & friends truly considers me widowed. somehow, after the death of the love of my life, i am just another single gay guy.

i tried to click both gay and less than 1 month but seems that's not allowed.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
curious at 52? you missed all the best years.

i would echo bpp's remark. the discrimination, even when unintentional, is so much more insidious. though recognized as partners in life, after 10 years and the death of one, hardly a single str8 i know including most family & friends truly considers me widowed. somehow, after the death of the love of my life, i am just another single gay guy.

hi lazy,

I hope I'm always curious. I didn't intend to discriminate in the poll. I hoped to acknowledge the discrimination that the laws enforce rather than eliminate gays from the poll. I'm afraid I'm not very graceful even though I wish I could learn to be more so.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
That's not commitment issues, that's your spouse realizing that she's going to have to clear the decks before she's ready to tackle a project like you.

Same for me-- we started dating in 1980, got married in mid-1986, started living together after my last boomer patrol (late 1986). *I spent over 90 days looking at that shiny new wedding ring and thinking "What the heck was I thinking?!?" *So did the rest of the wardroom and probably a big part of the crew. *But I'm cautiously optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
See that "Edit Poll" link in blue at the bottom right? *Depending on how the poll is set up, you may be able to see it and to click on it. *Or else you'll have to nag the original poster into complying with your desires.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
. . .See that "Edit Poll" link in blue at the bottom right? *Depending on how the poll is set up, you may be able to see it and to click on it. *Or else you'll have to nag the original poster into complying with your desires.
I failed to check the box to allow multiple votes when I set the poll up. Now, when I try to edit the poll, it allows me to change the poll choices and the choices of who views the poll, but it doesn't let me change the number of votes per voter. . . Sorry.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 PM   #13

not a problem sgeeeeeee. didn't think you were discriminating. just bustin ya and taking the opportunity to make a point.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Met my first husband in college in '93, dated 3-4 years, married in '97 and then divorced 1-2 years later depending on how you are counting.

Met DH in November of '01, moved in together in February '02 (his house burnt down so I didn't have much choice), engaged August '02, married December '02.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #15

Dated exactly 1 year then we got married. That was 25.5 years ago, and we're still in love.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
... his house burnt down so I didn't have much choice...
Most guys are reading this phrase, nodding their heads in admiration, and saying to themselves "Gutsy way to force the live-together issue-- wish I'd thought of doing that to my house for an insurance check!"

What's that, honey? Oh, nothing, dear-- just talking to myself...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote