Join Early Retirement Today

Covering for a coworker you don’t like
Old 04-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Covering for a coworker you don’t like

Would you do the right thing and cover for a coworker you did not like?

Do the Right Thing Covering for a coworker you don’t like «

Or would you let the person crash and sink?

Have any of you ever been in a situation similar to this?

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Of course I would! I wouldn't want the document to go out with a mistake in it. I'd probably try to do it in an anonymous way that didn't seem like I was blaming her or nosing into her business, and that wouldn't get her into trouble.

To me, the HUGE issue here is correcting the report so that we are putting out an accurate document, not getting the co-worker in trouble. I'd try to accomplish the first without venturing into the second.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sure! This has happened several times although I do like the person; I add "it's the only thing I noticed, sort of jumped out at me even though I didn't proofread the entire document." That comment is always spontaneous, is it the wrong thing to say?

OMG, just now there was a situation where I politely said the equivalent of "should we follow the requested instructions on this?"
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In the spirit of professionalism, I'd do it. But I'd hope that others would get my back from time to time as well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael24 View Post
I would also do it as a code of professionalism...But I need to make sure they will do it for me
How would you be sure? I remember a time when I really needed a friend at work, it came from two unexpected places. I don't always know who the loyal ones are.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

This is a very common situation. The report represents the work of the team/department/firm, etc. including yours. I would definitely bring it to the attention of Julie and the boss, ideally in a tactful way....."now, looking at this from the point of view of the people who are going to be reviewing it, I wonder if they might question a, b, c.....is there a way we can present this that will make it easier to get them on board?"
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #7

The mission should always come first and all personal dislikes should be put aside.

GOD BLESS US ALL
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I like this suggestion from one of the readers

Quote:
How stupid would you look if you were wrong about your assessment of the report? Instead of taking that risk, go to your boss and tell him/her in a caring and non-aggressive way that you “THINK” there may be a problem with the report, and you’re not sure what to do! You could even say that you are afraid you might offend the co-worker if you approach them about it, and directly ask your boss for help. Bosses love it when their employees ask them for help.
AND ….. You’re off the hook with everyone, you’ll score “brownie” points with your boss, and you get to passively “throw” the co-worker under the bus. What could better?
Clearly this guy is no stranger to office politics.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 AM   #9

I'd take it straight to the person who wrote the report and point out the mistake,doing it that way may make the person think better of you and who knows it might be an ice breaking move to a new friendship,it will also show Mr/Mrs perfect employee that you can see through their BS.
Ultimately you have to do whats good for the company as thats what keeps your paycheck rolling in each week.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I would probably point out the error to the person.

There is often competition in the workplace that may cause people to have ruffled feathers. But helping others when one can, helps to develop allies when they are needed.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i often corrected problems and helped others who didn't deserve it.

but there was this one who i had a little fun with. you know the type, rising on the backs of others. management material for sure. an original thought in that head of hers, as they say, would have quickly died of loneliness. i actually kind of liked her but she started getting a little full of herself and universal karma wasn't doing anything about it.

i had noticed her using a number of my good ideas to advance her position in the company. advancing at our level meant travel at best and leaving the area at worst which i wasn't about to do as i was caring for mom. but i was ok with that because they were good ideas deserving implementation so i shared them with her.

but then she started thinking and acting as if my ideas were hers. so, for my own entertainment, i started feeding her really well-constructed, bad ideas. which she tried implementing. if you're looking for some corporate fun, gotta tell ya, watching her being called on the table for some of those bad ideas was just so funny. well, for me anyway.

i'm such an instigator. i'm a baaad boy.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
an original thought in that head of hers, as they say, would have quickly died of loneliness.
Love it! Can I use the quote?

Quote:
i'm such an instigator. i'm a baaad boy.
Yes you are!!!!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #13

I can remember countless customer briefs where the analysts were critiquing a co-workers slide on the spot. The tech-talk would go in circles until the dept. manager would step in and pull the slide ... not good. But it happened alot with these guys. It was thought that the customer - also a technical guy - enjoyed the "discussion".
Old 04-03-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My company is so small that if an oversight, regardless of source, is not nipped in the bud, it will blow up on my desk: I will be the one to deal with the phone calls, respond to the e-mails, un-do the problem, re-do it the right way, write the cover letter, and so on. It’s more efficient, less time-consuming and face-saving to just deal with the momentary un-ease of pointing it out.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Love it! Can I use the quote?
wasn't mine to begin with so it is all yours. actually the more succinct quote is "if he/she ever had an original thought it would die of loneliness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
My company is so small that if an oversight, regardless of source, is not nipped in the bud, it will blow up on my desk: I will be the one to deal with the phone calls, respond to the e-mails, un-do the problem, re-do it the right way, write the cover letter, and so on. It’s more efficient, less time-consuming and face-saving to just deal with the momentary un-ease of pointing it out.
so it's not that you were covering for another's incompetence; it's not that you were covering your own future ass; it's just that you're a team player. go team!

another thing that ticked me off about how corporations changed: when i first signed on we used to get a bonus if a good idea of ours was implemented successfully in that it either saved money or made money. but after "re-engineering" that policy was replaced with: we're going to put all our ideas into the corporate pool for the benefit of the team. read: no compensation. go team! good-bye team!

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

so it's not that you were covering for another's incompetence; it's not that you were covering your own future ass; it's just that you're a team player. go team!
Au contraire, yeah, maybe; but more importantly I'm covering my future time which can be put to better uses, like reading this forum.