Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was self-checking out of Walmart the other day and was in a rush... not sure why... anywho, I had cough drops and cough syrup... ran the cough drops through fine... scan the cough syrup and have to wait for an attendant to approve it before I can pay

Stupid. Alcohol I can understand, and I understand that cough syrup has alcohol in it but to hold up things for cough syrup is ridiculous.

And BTW... get off my stinking lawn!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What's the rush? Relax and live longer. I love taking out my checkbook to pay, even when I originally didn't intend to, especially when there's some young / obnoxious "can't wait 2 minutes to pay for his redbull and chips" millennial on line. If an older lady pulls out her wallet to pay cash, I'll compliment her on it - she'll turn, smile and start a conversation. I also like to chat with cashiers. Life is good when you're retired.
Everybody is not retired so knowingly doing this is sort of rude it seems to me but whatever. Knowing you are aware will make me feel better about being rude and impatient with your type next time a slow poke is in front of me chatting about the weather while they pay with their check.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #43
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Why cash only? I find cash takes too much time. Just swipe the card.
Swipe? What century you living in? Have to shove it & wait for the annoying remove buzzer anywhere I go these days.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #44

Giant foods in the PA lets you scan you're loyalty card, pick up a scanner, and bag as you go. They conduct random audits. I scan the scanner at checkout, pay, and go. It's much less tedious.

See what Amazon is doing:

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...-video-2016-12

I think the store actually opened in December.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
last time at the ghetto kroger some old lady started yaking with the checker - "ma'am, this is the EXPRESS lane, not the buffet line"
So what is a studly young millionaire doing at a ghetto Kroger anyway? Try Whole Foods.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Giant foods in the PA lets you scan you're loyalty card, pick up a scanner, and bag as you go. They conduct random audits. I scan the scanner at checkout, pay, and go. It's much less tedious.

See what Amazon is doing:

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...-video-2016-12

I think the store actually opened in December.

The Giants in MD have the scanners too but I keep forgetting to use them. I finally remembered once and it worked well but not sure how it works for produce. We have bring your own bag or pay a nickel so it really works well if I could just remember to bring my grab bags that you can load directly in the cart.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Swipe? What century you living in? Have to shove it & wait for the annoying remove buzzer anywhere I go these days.
Ok You are probably correct. I live in Iowa across the river from Nebraska maybe the "technocracy" hasn't caught up here yet?

The only place I have run into here that actually utilizes the "chip" in my credit card makes me wait is the Vet I take my dog to and yes, you can have a nice conversation while that thing is percolating

BUT.... I meant debit card. That is still swipe and run at least here. Do they make you wait for processing now too? I can't believe they can't find a way to make it faster
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
What drives me nuts in the checker lines is the people watching everything being rung up, looking at the total, and then realizing they're going to have to pay for it. They look in their purse or pockets for their checkbooks, and then start slowly filling it out, when they could've put in everything other than the amount while waiting.
Well that's because I have to be sure I don't get overcharged for something, but to help everyone out, instead of a checkbook, I count out my change.

It's a very untrusting situation, as no sooner do I hand the change to the cashier, but he/she then re-counts it all, sometimes twice.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Are we still talking about grocery stores or sex
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I was self-checking out of Walmart the other day and was in a rush... not sure why... anywho, I had cough drops and cough syrup... ran the cough drops through fine... scan the cough syrup and have to wait for an attendant to approve it before I can pay

Stupid. Alcohol I can understand, and I understand that cough syrup has alcohol in it but to hold up things for cough syrup is ridiculous.

And BTW... get off my stinking lawn!
Many stores are putting restrictions on cough syrups for large quantity purchase and age limits. It seems the young dumb kids take Dextromethorphan (DM) in large quantities to get euphoria, hallucinations, distorted visual perceptions and loss of motor control. Sometimes called Robo-ing or robotripping (from robitussin dm) and many others.
They just need to wait 70 years to have loss of motor control
Old 01-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps it is all she had left to be proud of. I recall adults making a big deal over how neatly I wrote my name, in cursive, when I was about six.

I once told someone they may as well write "Batman" on the card reader, and the system would still accept it. They were aghast, and then laughed and the message got through

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I was behind some woman that insisted she write out her full name, in cursive, on the card reader. She was so slow and the name was so long the reader kept timing out. I was tempted to point out that it accepts any little scribble.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:42 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

The produce process is tedious. You must weigh the produce and get a sticker to put on a plastic bag with the produce inside. To obtain the sticker, you must either memorize the produce "code" on the bin, or get out your old-people glasses and find the teeny tiny code on a little cylinder above the produce scale.

The scanner scans the sticker for weight, but if you have something that is sold by the item (e.g. cucumber) you yourself have to look up the item *on the scanner,* a step which should be entirely unnecessary.

I love the idea of scanners and self-checkouts in principle. In practice, I fear, no systems engineers were involved in their design. At least, not sober ones.

Which reminds me of a pet peeve, which I'm too lazy to put in the proper thread. The Giant where I sometimes shop, has someone roaming the self-checkouts in case someone needs help. This person also bags your self-checked items, while you are going through the business with the scanner, and doesn't ask first if you want them to bag for you. And they are extremely stingy with those bags. No double-baggin. One bagger shoved two big cartons of yogurt and a box of cereal in one tiny plastic bag. By the time I got to my car, the bag was about two feet long and just about to give way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
The Giants in MD have the scanners too but I keep forgetting to use them. I finally remembered once and it worked well but not sure how it works for produce. .
Old 01-17-2017, 04:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The produce process is tedious. You must weigh the produce and get a sticker to put on a plastic bag with the produce inside. To obtain the sticker, you must either memorize the produce "code" on the bin, or get out your old-people glasses and find the teeny tiny code on a little cylinder above the produce scale.

The scanner scans the sticker for weight, but if you have something that is sold by the item (e.g. cucumber) you yourself have to look up the item *on the scanner,* a step which should be entirely unnecessary.

I love the idea of scanners and self-checkouts in principle. In practice, I fear, no systems engineers were involved in their design. At least, not sober ones.

Which reminds me of a pet peeve, which I'm too lazy to put in the proper thread. The Giant where I sometimes shop, has someone roaming the self-checkouts in case someone needs help. This person also bags your self-checked items, while you are going through the business with the scanner, and doesn't ask first if you want them to bag for you. And they are extremely stingy with those bags. No double-baggin. One bagger shoved two big cartons of yogurt and a box of cereal in one tiny plastic bag. By the time I got to my car, the bag was about two feet long and just about to give way.

After awhile you get used to it and very fast. I line my stickers up on the shopping cart and go beep beep beep. Or I stick them on the top of the reusable bags. When I put the stickers on the plastic bags, they aren't recyclable.

I try not to use the plastic bags. They are banned in California, Hawaii, and North Carolina, as well as several cities, with good reason. I have to remember to pack a couple of reusable bags for our Hawaii trip.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:17 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The HEB where I shop has scales that print labels in produce so by the time we get to self-checkout we just scan the bagged produce. Quick.

And we bring our own shopping bags which are nice and strong. The store sells these sturdy large bags very cheap. We do our own bagging at self-checkout.

So some stores have solved these issues.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:41 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I am amazed at people's inability to count. Yesterday I took my 11 items to the 15-and-fewer line at my neighborhood store, and the young man in front of me had 24 items. I wish the cash registers would sound an alarm at the 16th item and refuse to proceed.

I have been known to start counting out loud when I get behind someone like that. One, two, three....SIXTEEN,SEVENTEEN!!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:42 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So what is a studly young millionaire doing at a ghetto Kroger anyway? Try Whole Foods.

Ha
they have 50% off on double R ranch lib eyes in the reduced quick sale section

I avoid to Whole Foods - they don't have plastic bags
Old 01-17-2017, 05:50 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

How does the scale know what it is weighing? Don't you have to punch in a 4-digit code? The codes are printed in teeny type on a little cylinder over the scale, and some of the teeny codes are worn away from people rotating the cylinder. Design Fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The HEB where I shop has scales that print labels in produce so by the time we get to self-checkout we just scan the bagged produce. Quick.

And we bring our own shopping bags which are nice and strong. The store sells these sturdy large bags very cheap. We do our own bagging at self-checkout.

So some stores have solved these issues.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:51 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Also I dislike reusable bags, which are no good for lining our bathroom wastebaskets.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:59 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How does the scale know what it is weighing? Don't you have to punch in a 4-digit code? The codes are printed in teeny type on a little cylinder over the scale, and some of the teeny codes are worn away from people rotating the cylinder. Design Fail.
The scales I use all have a screen where you can punch in the code, look up the code by name, or by group and picture. I haven't used that cylinder in quite awhile. Still, having the scale in produce doesn't really save me time, as I'm either doing it there or at the register, though if everyone does it in advance it reduces the logjam at the register.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:03 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Everybody is not retired so knowingly doing this is sort of rude it seems to me but whatever. Knowing you are aware will make me feel better about being rude and impatient with your type next time a slow poke is in front of me chatting about the weather while they pay with their check.
I'm hoping MichaelB's post was at least somewhat in jest, but I do agree with this. Just because I'm retired doesn't mean I want to spend extra time at the checkout, with my frozen food melting. That's one reason I like the Martin's store with the hand held scanner you carry around, so that I can not only bring my bags but also my cooler bag so I can immediately pack stuff that needs to stay cold. I live over 30 minutes away from any real grocery store so I always bring a cooler.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote