Crap, Another Market Kills Self Check-Out

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First it was Costco, Now Albertsons. I asked the checker why ? " Shrinkage " was the reply.

Home Depot and 2 other markets nearby still do it, but with a checker supervising at all times.

I would be ok with killing the self checkout if replaced with a " Cash Only, No Talking " line. :rolleyes:

I did not have good success with the Albertsons self checkout line. The lack of a bag, if using my own, really seemed to trip it up. Our Albertsons now has a single under-15 items express line that queues to four express checkout counters. It is fast, much faster than the old self checkout stations, and the old under-15 single line checkout lane. YMMV

Last edited:
I did not have good success with the Albertsons self checkout line. The lack of a bag, if using my own really, seemed to trip it up. Our Albertsons now has a single under-15 items express line that queues to four express checkout counters. It is fast, much faster than the old self checkout stations, and the old under-15 single line checkout lane. YMMV

I am amazed at people's inability to count. Yesterday I took my 11 items to the 15-and-fewer line at my neighborhood store, and the young man in front of me had 24 items. I wish the cash registers would sound an alarm at the 16th item and refuse to proceed.

First it was Costco, Now Albertsons. I asked the checker why ? " Shrinkage " was the reply.

Home Depot and 2 other markets nearby still do it, but with a checker supervising at all times.

I would be ok with killing the self checkout if replaced with a " Cash Only, No Talking " line. :rolleyes:

Why cash only? I find cash takes too much time. Just swipe the card. People who get there then find they only have a 20 and a 10 instead of two 20's slow things down. Or the guy who only had a 50 or a hundred for 9 dollars worth of stuff. CHECK WRITERS slow things down. Swipe the card and go.

a little piece inside of me dies every time someone in front of me whips out a checkbook - what is this 1985?

I am amazed at people's inability to count. Yesterday I took my 11 items to the 15-and-fewer line at my neighborhood store, and the young man in front of me had 24 items. I wish the cash registers would sound an alarm at the 16th item and refuse to proceed.
There's a term for people like that. Expresshole. :)

What's the rush? Relax and live longer. I love taking out my checkbook to pay, even when I originally didn't intend to, especially when there's some young / obnoxious "can't wait 2 minutes to pay for his redbull and chips" millennial on line. If an older lady pulls out her wallet to pay cash, I'll compliment her on it - she'll turn, smile and start a conversation. I also like to chat with cashiers. Life is good when you're retired. :)

Swipe the card and go.

Yes, well, it used to be that easy around here but now many stores have "upgraded" to chip and pin, so now one has to stick the card in the reader and leave it there for some time. The machine could use that time to verify if the card is good for, say, $100, but no, it waits until the total is determined (almost always under $100 for me) THEN begins the electronic querying process while everyone twiddles thumbs. Aha, finally, yes the card is approved for $52.16. Since the total was above $50 you must sign too. Oops, silly you, you began to remove your card before signing! Now we need to start the verification process over. After more time, you put your wallet away so you can select the OK button and awkwardly sign on a screen with the fat stylus. Remember, you'll be penalized if you remove the card before the annoying buzzer sounds! Finally you are permitted to retrieve your wallet and put the card back in it. I really want to know who comes up with these designs, and how much field testing they do.

Last edited:

I've noticed some saying "about 15 items".

I was directed to one of those with a full cart by the people Marshall at the grocery the other week. People gave me an evil eye.

What's the rush? Relax and live longer. I love taking out my checkbook to pay, even when I originally didn't intend to, especially when there's some young / obnoxious "can't wait 2 minutes to pay for his redbull and chips" millennial on line. If an older lady pulls out her wallet to pay cash, I'll compliment her on it - she'll turn, smile and start a conversation. I also like to chat with cashiers. Life is good when you're retired. :)

+1000 !

It's sooooo much better to not be stressed out over small annoyances any longer. Perhaps those agitated worker bees waiting behind us will run their blood pressure up so much that they explode!

a little piece inside of me dies every time someone in front of me whips out a checkbook - what is this 1985?

Great idea. I almost always pay cash. I think I'll start using checks. And practice nice slow cursive writing.:D

Why cash only? I find cash takes too much time. Just swipe the card. People who get there then find they only have a 20 and a 10 instead of two 20's slow things down. Or the guy who only had a 50 or a hundred for 9 dollars worth of stuff. CHECK WRITERS slow things down. Swipe the card and go.

People with Debit Cards that don't work ( no money left ) , EBT cards that don't work ( no money left) W.I.C , . I rarely see someone using a check these days .

Yes, well, it used to be that easy around here but now many stores have "upgraded" to chip and pin, so now one has to stick the card in the reader and leave it there for some time.

I don't find inserting the card to be any trouble, once you get used to it.

But at Meijer they accept Apple Pay so it's even easier and more secure. I prefer using self checkout and Apple Pay when I'm at Meijer.

I wish Kroger would get around to accepting it.

Yes, well, it used to be that easy around here but now many stores have "upgraded" to chip and pin, so now one has to stick the card in the reader and leave it there for some time. The machine could use that time to verify if the card is good for, say, $100, but no, it waits until the total is determined (almost always under $100 for me) THEN begins the electronic querying process while everyone twiddles thumbs. Aha, finally, yes the card is approved for $52.16. Since the total was above $50 you must sign too. Oops, silly you, you began to remove your card before signing! Now we need to start the verification process over. After more time, you put your wallet away so you can select the OK button and awkwardly sign on a screen with the fat stylus. Remember, you'll be penalized if you remove the card before the annoying buzzer sounds! Finally you are permitted to retrieve your wallet and put the card back in it. I really want to know who comes up with these designs, and how much field testing they do.

I agree that it can be a problem, but I think once everyone gets used to it and the systems are optimized, it'll be OK.

A couple of years ago, I encountered an over 15 checking out in the 15 or less line. I told the manager about it, and told him if it happened again I would find another store. Not hard as there was one across the street. Several weeks later it happened again, and I went to the manager and handed him my shoppers card and told him why. I then wrote a note to management through their website. Never got a reply, but never went back either.

What's the rush?

my beer is getting warm, quit talking to the checker, hurry up and pay, quit slow playing me! :mad:

old man behind me in a jazzy started talking to me about his wonderful winter gloves - "dude can't you see I'm trying to pay here?"

last time at the ghetto kroger some old lady started yaking with the checker - "ma'am, this is the EXPRESS lane, not the buffet line"

Last edited:
I've noticed some saying "about 15 items".

I was directed to one of those with a full cart by the people Marshall at the grocery the other week. People gave me an evil eye.

Yeah, that's happened to me. I always tell anyone who might line up behind me that I got sent there.

I have asked express checkers if this really is an express line when I've been behind a megacart. Once the cashier said she didn't even know it was an express line, and so I made the manager come over and take the 15 items or less sign down (not only was I behind a megacart that time, there were "price check on line 3" calls for several of his items, one by one. And the receipt printer got jammed and then ran out of paper).

I don't think I ever get through self-check registers without needing a store person to come okay something.

Hmm, there must be a reason I don't like shopping--I think it's me.

even selfpay lines are horrible - 40% chance someone in front of you don't have a tag on the item - happens to me at home despot every time

"dude, did you NOT check that every item has a tag? fatal error at home despot!"

this may be my pet peeve of the day

even better traveling tomorrow - I'd check luggage but half the people don't even have their boarding confirmation number ready at the bag station and have to fumble for it - "what were you doing in line the last 20 minutes?"

Hah!! I was just to the point where I was starting to use the self-checkout lanes. It seems every store has its own magic secret formula for how there particular keypad/touchscreen/credit card swipers work. I was starting to enjoy the puzzle.

They're popular. I actually saw people queued to use them rather than walk 10 feet to a available human checker.

Last edited:
My general opinion of self-checkout lanes is that the people who use them are the ones who shouldn't be using them. Technology-challenged.

I avoid the self-checkout lanes on weekends. Too many people in line.

Great idea. I almost always pay cash. I think I'll start using checks. And practice nice slow cursive writing.:D

You really need to try bartering. Or make the cashier an offer. If he/she says they aren't authorized to negotiate, ask him/her to call a supervisor over. The folks behind you will find it very entertaining and will express their appreciation! Soon, everyone will want to be behind you in line!

.......... And practice nice slow cursive writing.:D
I was behind some woman that insisted she write out her full name, in cursive, on the card reader. She was so slow and the name was so long the reader kept timing out. :facepalm: I was tempted to point out that it accepts any little scribble.

Back
Top Bottom