Join Early Retirement Today

Crap, Another Market Kills Self Check-Out
Old 01-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Crap, Another Market Kills Self Check-Out

First it was Costco, Now Albertsons. I asked the checker why ? " Shrinkage " was the reply.

Home Depot and 2 other markets nearby still do it, but with a checker supervising at all times.

I would be ok with killing the self checkout if replaced with a " Cash Only, No Talking " line.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did not have good success with the Albertsons self checkout line. The lack of a bag, if using my own, really seemed to trip it up. Our Albertsons now has a single under-15 items express line that queues to four express checkout counters. It is fast, much faster than the old self checkout stations, and the old under-15 single line checkout lane. YMMV
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
I did not have good success with the Albertsons self checkout line. The lack of a bag, if using my own really, seemed to trip it up. Our Albertsons now has a single under-15 items express line that queues to four express checkout counters. It is fast, much faster than the old self checkout stations, and the old under-15 single line checkout lane. YMMV
I am amazed at people's inability to count. Yesterday I took my 11 items to the 15-and-fewer line at my neighborhood store, and the young man in front of me had 24 items. I wish the cash registers would sound an alarm at the 16th item and refuse to proceed.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
First it was Costco, Now Albertsons. I asked the checker why ? " Shrinkage " was the reply.

Home Depot and 2 other markets nearby still do it, but with a checker supervising at all times.

I would be ok with killing the self checkout if replaced with a " Cash Only, No Talking " line.
Why cash only? I find cash takes too much time. Just swipe the card. People who get there then find they only have a 20 and a 10 instead of two 20's slow things down. Or the guy who only had a 50 or a hundred for 9 dollars worth of stuff. CHECK WRITERS slow things down. Swipe the card and go.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

a little piece inside of me dies every time someone in front of me whips out a checkbook - what is this 1985?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I am amazed at people's inability to count. Yesterday I took my 11 items to the 15-and-fewer line at my neighborhood store, and the young man in front of me had 24 items. I wish the cash registers would sound an alarm at the 16th item and refuse to proceed.
There's a term for people like that. Expresshole.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #7
Administrator

What's the rush? Relax and live longer. I love taking out my checkbook to pay, even when I originally didn't intend to, especially when there's some young / obnoxious "can't wait 2 minutes to pay for his redbull and chips" millennial on line. If an older lady pulls out her wallet to pay cash, I'll compliment her on it - she'll turn, smile and start a conversation. I also like to chat with cashiers. Life is good when you're retired.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Swipe the card and go.
Yes, well, it used to be that easy around here but now many stores have "upgraded" to chip and pin, so now one has to stick the card in the reader and leave it there for some time. The machine could use that time to verify if the card is good for, say, $100, but no, it waits until the total is determined (almost always under $100 for me) THEN begins the electronic querying process while everyone twiddles thumbs. Aha, finally, yes the card is approved for $52.16. Since the total was above $50 you must sign too. Oops, silly you, you began to remove your card before signing! Now we need to start the verification process over. After more time, you put your wallet away so you can select the OK button and awkwardly sign on a screen with the fat stylus. Remember, you'll be penalized if you remove the card before the annoying buzzer sounds! Finally you are permitted to retrieve your wallet and put the card back in it. I really want to know who comes up with these designs, and how much field testing they do.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I've noticed some saying "about 15 items".

I was directed to one of those with a full cart by the people Marshall at the grocery the other week. People gave me an evil eye.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What's the rush? Relax and live longer. I love taking out my checkbook to pay, even when I originally didn't intend to, especially when there's some young / obnoxious "can't wait 2 minutes to pay for his redbull and chips" millennial on line. If an older lady pulls out her wallet to pay cash, I'll compliment her on it - she'll turn, smile and start a conversation. I also like to chat with cashiers. Life is good when you're retired.
+1000 !

It's sooooo much better to not be stressed out over small annoyances any longer. Perhaps those agitated worker bees waiting behind us will run their blood pressure up so much that they explode!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
a little piece inside of me dies every time someone in front of me whips out a checkbook - what is this 1985?
Great idea. I almost always pay cash. I think I'll start using checks. And practice nice slow cursive writing.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Why cash only? I find cash takes too much time. Just swipe the card. People who get there then find they only have a 20 and a 10 instead of two 20's slow things down. Or the guy who only had a 50 or a hundred for 9 dollars worth of stuff. CHECK WRITERS slow things down. Swipe the card and go.
People with Debit Cards that don't work ( no money left ) , EBT cards that don't work ( no money left) W.I.C , . I rarely see someone using a check these days .
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Yes, well, it used to be that easy around here but now many stores have "upgraded" to chip and pin, so now one has to stick the card in the reader and leave it there for some time.
I don't find inserting the card to be any trouble, once you get used to it.

But at Meijer they accept Apple Pay so it's even easier and more secure. I prefer using self checkout and Apple Pay when I'm at Meijer.

I wish Kroger would get around to accepting it.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Yes, well, it used to be that easy around here but now many stores have "upgraded" to chip and pin, so now one has to stick the card in the reader and leave it there for some time. The machine could use that time to verify if the card is good for, say, $100, but no, it waits until the total is determined (almost always under $100 for me) THEN begins the electronic querying process while everyone twiddles thumbs. Aha, finally, yes the card is approved for $52.16. Since the total was above $50 you must sign too. Oops, silly you, you began to remove your card before signing! Now we need to start the verification process over. After more time, you put your wallet away so you can select the OK button and awkwardly sign on a screen with the fat stylus. Remember, you'll be penalized if you remove the card before the annoying buzzer sounds! Finally you are permitted to retrieve your wallet and put the card back in it. I really want to know who comes up with these designs, and how much field testing they do.
I agree that it can be a problem, but I think once everyone gets used to it and the systems are optimized, it'll be OK.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:11 PM   #15

A couple of years ago, I encountered an over 15 checking out in the 15 or less line. I told the manager about it, and told him if it happened again I would find another store. Not hard as there was one across the street. Several weeks later it happened again, and I went to the manager and handed him my shoppers card and told him why. I then wrote a note to management through their website. Never got a reply, but never went back either.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What's the rush?
my beer is getting warm, quit talking to the checker, hurry up and pay, quit slow playing me!

old man behind me in a jazzy started talking to me about his wonderful winter gloves - "dude can't you see I'm trying to pay here?"

last time at the ghetto kroger some old lady started yaking with the checker - "ma'am, this is the EXPRESS lane, not the buffet line"
Old 01-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
I've noticed some saying "about 15 items".

I was directed to one of those with a full cart by the people Marshall at the grocery the other week. People gave me an evil eye.
Yeah, that's happened to me. I always tell anyone who might line up behind me that I got sent there.

I have asked express checkers if this really is an express line when I've been behind a megacart. Once the cashier said she didn't even know it was an express line, and so I made the manager come over and take the 15 items or less sign down (not only was I behind a megacart that time, there were "price check on line 3" calls for several of his items, one by one. And the receipt printer got jammed and then ran out of paper).

I don't think I ever get through self-check registers without needing a store person to come okay something.

Hmm, there must be a reason I don't like shopping--I think it's me.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

even selfpay lines are horrible - 40% chance someone in front of you don't have a tag on the item - happens to me at home despot every time

"dude, did you NOT check that every item has a tag? fatal error at home despot!"
Old 01-16-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

this may be my pet peeve of the day

even better traveling tomorrow - I'd check luggage but half the people don't even have their boarding confirmation number ready at the bag station and have to fumble for it - "what were you doing in line the last 20 minutes?"
Old 01-16-2017, 04:20 PM   #20

Hah!! I was just to the point where I was starting to use the self-checkout lanes. It seems every store has its own magic secret formula for how there particular keypad/touchscreen/credit card swipers work. I was starting to enjoy the puzzle.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote