Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

What I really miss here in Florida is white pizza with sun dried tomatoes .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Meadh for the song:

Craving
Ah ha
Constant craving
Has always been

Constant craving
Has always been
Constant craving
Has always been

I resisted.

Had tuna and asparagus.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Drink water until you're full.

No, it doesn't work for me either. So I only allow myself pizza on Saturdays...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

When I have cravings, I generally cave in and eat whatever I'm craving. But that's ok - I craved a cheeseburger, fries, and beer one week into my last Nutrisystem diet. I had headaches from the diet, so I broke down and had the burger / fries / beer. That was enough to push me through the next few months of dieting and lose 20 lbs. So I see giving into cravings as an essential part of dieting.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I am very fortunate. I don't get food cravings. I am glad, because I would likely give in.

Ha
Old 09-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

You are fortunate Ha. Quite some years ago I got very ill and vomited anything I ate and was incredibly nauseous. I finally had to be fed through a tube for about a month and then I recovered. After that starvation type experience I started to have incredible food cravings. And I was always hungry, never full. After a few years passed I started to feel full again when I ate, but I still get amazing cravings. I told my doctor that once but she had nothing to say about it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Michael Phelps dove into the pool 17 times over the nine days of competition at the

Beijing Olympics and walked away with a record-breaking 8 gold medals!

During the Olympics the world got to know a lot about Phelps,

including the way he has given new meaning to the term “breakfast of champions”.

Every time the 23 year old sits down to eat he consumes a
mind-boggling 4000 calories! That’s 12000 calories a day!

For breakfast alone this champion devours:

* 3 fried egg sandwiches (with loads of cheese, onions and mayo)
* 2 cups of coffee
* a 5-egg omelet (with more cheese)
* 1 bowl of grits
* 3 slices of French Toast topped with powdered sugar
* and 3 chocolate chip pancakes!

I’D JUMP IN THE POOL 17 TIMES A DAY IF IT MEANT I COULD EAT HALF OF THAT!
I don't envy you "normal" people. I could eat all of that and not gain a pound even though I do absolutely nothing athletic. I've eaten an entire 4meat Tombstone pizza for lunch every day for the last 6 days at over 1500 calories each. Also, in the last couple days, i've eaten 10 kit kat bars(they were on sale) and 30 chewy chips ahoy cookies plus a package of pringles potato chips and I just weighed myself and i'm the exact same as last week(at least 30 pounds under ideal weight). That's even though I did nothing but sleep, eat, watch tv, and surf the net the last 3 days.

I've done experiments with myself where one month i'll eat upwards of 150,000 calories and then another month i'd eat under 50,000 calories and, with no difference in calories burned, i'll always weigh the exact same. I'm a freak!
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

No, it doesn't work for me either. So I only allow myself pizza on Saturdays...
-
SO's mom always said, "you're not hungry, you're thirsty." That works for a while.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
You are fortunate Ha. Quite some years ago I got very ill and vomited anything I ate and was incredibly nauseous. I finally had to be fed through a tube for about a month and then I recovered. After that starvation type experience I started to have incredible food cravings. And I was always hungry, never full. After a few years passed I started to feel full again when I ate, but I still get amazing cravings. I told my doctor that once but she had nothing to say about it.
Martha, that sounds horrible! Glad you recoverd well. I guess a few cravings are not so bad compared with what you went through.

Ha
Old 09-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How do you deal with cravings?
Eliminating cravings in our house required a vasectomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
-
SO's mom always said, "you're not hungry, you're thirsty." That works for a while.
When I can't stop eating mid-morning & early afternoon, it's because I'm thirsty. I've learned to have a few cups of water a couple hours after breakfast (coffee doesn't count) and then again in the mid afternoon.

That's the logical solution. The problem is that I don't actually regain consciousness realize that I'm binge grazing until I've already consumed 300-400 calories.

Quote:
Quite some years ago I got very ill and vomited anything I ate and was incredibly nauseous. I finally had to be fed through a tube for about a month and then I recovered.
By any chance do you still have a gallbladder? A shipmate had this problem and the doctors spent several weeks of trial & error elimination to identify the likely remaining cause. After gallbladder removal he was immediately eating, holding it down, and regaining some of the 25 lost pounds. I've always wondered if that would have eventually worked itself out without surgery.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't know how you didn't give into the craving. We have the best pizza place here and I am ususally there 3 times a week. If they ever went public on the NYSE....I would put all my money in it!
I have no willpower when it comes to pizza and ice-cream (mint choc chip with hot fudge) YUMMY!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Maybe that's why I get insane food cravings. Periodically I will get sick or it will get too hot out and I will stop eating hardly anything for a month at a time (and lose 5-10 lbs as a result since my metabolism doesn't seem to understand the concept of slowing down).

But the food cravings I normally have? Forget about trying to avoid them. I would literally rather starve than eat something other than what I am craving or I will keep eating and eating until something satisfies the craving.

I have just learned to give in a little (eat the slice, not the whole pizza) whenever I have my cravings.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

You have no idea what craving is all about till you try to give up smoking.
5th day into it and i'm in full craving mode all the time.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
paging bbamI.....paging bbamI to the forum, please!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Eliminating cravings in our house required a vasectomy!
Nords, ya killin' me........... I don't see how that ELIMINATES cravings as it should eliminate excuses........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Jambo-start these three routines right now:

1) Put a rubber band around your wrist. Every time you get the craving snap the band hard.
2)Follow that with at least 12 oz of cold water with a little lemon juice.
3)Take a 30 min walk at least once/day, concentrate on deep breathing.

Good luck...
Old 09-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
I don't know how you didn't give into the craving. We have the best pizza place here and I am ususally there 3 times a week. If they ever went public on the NYSE....I would put all my money in it!
I have no willpower when it comes to pizza and ice-cream (mint choc chip with hot fudge) YUMMY!
-
We have pizza delivered from a place like that. But tried to eat there once and thought it didn't look clean enough. So when we think we are too fat for pizza, we imagine the look of the place and the sweat that must fall onto the pizzas. But other times we just go ahead and order: sausage, mushrooms, extra garlic, extra sweat. Mmmm.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One of the reasons you ERd was because life it too short.
If you found yourself in a car crash today, hanging upside down from your seat belt with your life draining away would you think: "I'm glad I didn't have that pizza."
And if the seat belt breaks from the extra pounds?

If you found yourself on a gurney, following a massive heart attack, and you're barely conscious, and you can't respond, but you hear Greg whispering "I love you honey, please don't die," are you going to think "I wish I hadn't had all that pizza"?

--------------

This sometimes works for me: distraction. Go do something that you enjoy and/or that requires a lot of concentration.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
1) Put a rubber band around your wrist. Every time you get the craving snap the band hard.
2)Follow that with at least 12 oz of cold water with a little lemon juice.
3)Take a 30 min walk at least once/day, concentrate on deep breathing.
After step #1, do I really want to know where to put the water/lemon juice of step #2?

This reminds me of the Cheers gag where Cliff Claven asked for electro-shock therapy to modify his bar behavior...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Another thing that occasionally works. Say this:

Nothing tastes as good a thin feels.