Creative design ideas in your dream house - or for your future dream house

Speaking about soundproofing, I just came back from Home Depot and saw there that they had a special double drywall called QuietRock. It has 3 layers of two 1/2" outer gypsum boards sandwiching a fibrous layer in the middle. Just looked on the Web, and they say that the middle layer is a special "viscoelastic polymer".

It sounds good (pun not intended), and the only drawback is the cost. Its price is $50 for a sheet, while regular gypsum is $10.

Speaking about soundproofing, I just came back from Home Depot and saw there that they had a special double drywall called QuietRock. It has 3 layers of two 1/2" outer gypsum boards sandwiching a fibrous layer in the middle. Just looked on the Web, and they say that the middle layer is a special "viscoelastic polymer".

It sounds good (pun not intended), and the only drawback is the cost. Its price is $50 for a sheet, while regular gypsum is $10.
No doubt it is better, but as I mentioned, just using an inch or more thick of drywall makes a night and day difference and you don't need any special skills to install it. It is important that parallel walls have a different thickness of drywall to acoustically decouple them.

I used to stay at a little mom and pop motel when visiting relatives and I mentioned to the owner that the walls were transparent, but that he could fix it quite cheaply by thickening the drywall between rooms. The next time I visited he thanked me profusely and indeed the rooms were a lot quieter. It works.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the good ideas. It's obvious that those in different parts of the country have different needs in housing.

We're in the process of buying a foreclosure for substantially less than the market value of the house--5,000 square feet with 5 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms. Our biggest concern in retirement is having the ability to live on one floor.

We're just so thankful that luxury housing can still be bought relatively inexpensively in the South, and that our total cost of living's under control. We'll be putting our present house on the market in the next couple of months, and hopefully it'll sell promptly.

Sheer square footage often makes up for many design flaws. I honestly don't know what to do with a 35' x 47' man cave/television room downstairs. But it's nice to know we have room for live in help--if needed as we get older.

I put an AC duplex outlet under the eaves located at each corner of the house for Christmas lights. One side of the duplex is switched from a common switch and the other is hot all the time. In the hot one, I put in motion sensing lights. Nothing can sneak up on our house now and it's easy to add the Christmas light power.

In our recent remodel:

1. Drawer in kitchen island with usb and power ports so we can put various devices out of sight while charging.
2. Walk in showers with no doors, no steps.
3. Whole house audio.
4. Wine and beverage coolers.
5. 500 gal buried propane tank.
6. Separate HVAC and water heater for guest casita.
7. Low voltage led lighting.
8. Touchless flush toilets.
9. Outdoor shower.

Last edited:
What are your best house design wants or tips? They can be big things or little tweaks that make a difference. ...

We were limited to a ~980 sf footprint because we are only 20' from the water so we did a number of things due to space and also in anticipation of aging in place.

Obviously, all doorways are wheelchair accessible. We also used mostly pocket doors to save space and lever handles for all swing doors.

We have an island in our kitchen, but it is not anchored to the floor. The bottom is all felt pads so DW and I can move it around as needed and if we are hosting a party we can move it off to the side as a buffet.

We built a ~4' long elevated platform over the end of the stairway going down to the walkout basement and used that space for the woodstove hearth. Not only did this take advantage of space that would have gone to waste but it also elevated the woodstove opening about 18" which makes it easier to load and tend the fire.

The other handy thing we did was to add Rev-A-Shelfs to all our kitchen cabinets which is handy and makes our cabinet space more efficient.

We used spray foam insulation (we live in a cold area). We used 2x4 framing and then put 3/4" thick strapping horizontally on the outside of the framing at the top, bottom and every 2' and then attached the sheathing on the outside of the strapping. When we did the foam, it oozed between the sheathing and the backside of the studs which reduced thermal bridging and made the walls much sturdier.

One thing we didn't do which I wish we did (and may add) is bathroom fans. The guy who did our whole house ventilation system put intakes in each bathroom and indicated that with those we did not need bathroom fans. Well, he was wrong. Even with the system on high it just can't keep up exhausting the moisture when we take a shower.

I would love to have in-floor heat. Do any of you have that? Does it decrease cost by making rooms feel warmer?

We have radiant heat in our finished walk-out basement. I like it. It does take a while to come up to temp to heat a big ol' concrete slab but it is nice and toasty on the feet once it is up to temp. Also, there are no registers to get in the way when deciding where to place furniture in the room.

We considered radiant heat for our main floor (the floor above the walk-out) but decided not to due to cost. While the hot water baseboard heats fine we do lose a little space and need to think about not blocking the heaters when placing furniture.

For many years I have had a practice of going to bed on the early side (10 pm) and getting up early. It helps with avoiding traffic as I drive out of town which I do often. This could be a problem when there were visitors in the house who stay up late, watch TV, shower, handle dishes, or do other activities causing noise. My current house is laid out in a way that the master bedroom is pretty isolated from the other rooms where guests might be. I was just a happy accident but if I ever build a house it will be very deliberately designed that way.

While we could not isolate the master bedroom from our great room due to space limitations, our solution was a pair of headsets that can be used by people watching TV in the great room while someone is trying to sleep in the master bedroom. Enhances marital bliss.

...gas line to outdoor gas grill instead of propane tanks...

I thought of this... unfortunately it was after the house was done... the first time my grill ran out of propane I realized that while we were putting in black pipe for the water heater, clothes dryer and cookstove that I could have relatively easily run a line to the corner of the house/deck where I have my grill. :facepalm:

However, fortunately I don't go through a lot of propane for outdoor grilling and I can move the grill to in front of my master bedroom sliding glass door and grill in my slippers during the winter.

:er:
Overhangs to optimize letting the winter sun in, and the high summer sun out (I've found that some architects just don't consider this). Of course, some of these depend on your climate, but these features are nice for the midwest here.

-ERD50
This is a good one and it also allow windows to remain open when it is raining.

If I was to build I would have a detached studio apt that would be connected to the front of the house by walls that would create a large enclosed front patio/entry. I could use this for guests instead of a guest room and later for a live in nurse or myself if my daughter and her family would like live in the home rent free.

Cheers!

One other thing we did that is a bit unique is we use a propane on-demand tankless hot water heater for space heating.... no boiler. It has worked well for us and was a lot less expensive. I realize that I will likely need to replace the hot water heater more often (had to replace the heat exchanger after 4 years) because it is working harder but the unit costs less than 25% of what a boiler would have cost.

Boiler fed infloor heat can be a joy when done correctly. The costs vs warm air ducted is 2 -3 times higher in most cases.

@ ERD50, your experience is not common when systems are programmed correctly, namely in a floor condition, water temps should be no higher that 100 deg F. That translates into a floor that is perceived as not "warm" but just "not cold". That temp also leaves the boiler well into the condensing temp range, which is the best use of the fuel btus.

Radiant panels can also be placed in the walls or ceiling, but they still get run a low temps.

Yes, my experience was on a single unit (installed in the late 60's). What you say makes sense, they should have had the water temperature lower, and/or it wasn't designed properly, and they needed it that high to reach the comfort zone for the air above.

So hopefully, modern installations take this into consideration, and the 'hot feet' problem is the (old) exception.

-ERD50

Right by the side door from the driveway into the kitchen, at which I bring in groceries, he erected a permanent outdoor metal table. This table is about 2.5'x3.5' and it is is unbelievably sturdy. I think it is anchored to the foundation of the house maybe. Anyway, I think a sumo wrestler could do handstands on it and it wouldn't even budge. I can put my groceries on it while I climb the one step and get the door open. The table also has a sturdy rail that I can hang on to as I navigate that step, so that I don't fall (very important to me since I am getting older and falls are an issue).

Now who would have thought of that? I never heard of such a thing. It is one of my favorite features about this house, and I didn't even notice it until after I moved in.
That's nice - I think of this every time I grill, I need a little table at the back door, so I can set things down and open the door. I need to get that done!

I took a couple of photos of it this morning, so that you can see the table and maybe get some ideas (or not). Anyway, here it is. Honestly I think this table is a huge bonus for me. When I first moved in, I tripped on that step while carrying a full laundry basket. Consequently I had a very bad fall, which is the reason for the yellow duct tape along the edge of the step. Now, I always put things down on the table and hang on before traversing that step. Growing older is the pits and it seems to me that you are not terribly old yet. Still, taking such precautions BEFORE accidents happen, instead of after, usually works out best. Wish I had! :LOL:

Attachments

• table_by_door1.jpg
    table_by_door1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 18
  • table_by_door2.jpg
    table_by_door2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 16
That's a great table! And handrail, too! Very clever. And so is the yellow tape. :)

I have a long church pew on the front porch by the door, and that's where lots of stuff gets dumped on my way in, unless it makes it to the bench just inside the door. But I still have to get up 20 feet of stairs to make it to the porch, ugh!

We designed and built our dream home in vermont 10 years ago. We will never get our money out of it but it has been a fantastic place to raise our kids. It is too big and expensive to keep so we will be downsizing next year which is sad.

Based on living here for a decade with our three boys here are my glad I did and wish I didn't list.

Glad we did
- separate offices since wife and I both worked from home
- radiant floor heat and hardwood floors
- super insulated and efficient home (live In Vermont with propane which costs a ton but was our only option)
- hanging swinging chairs at the breakfast bar so no tipping or scraping
- room for dog with a dog door so self served potty breaks
- in law unit above three car detached garage ( now used to generate income)
- fantastic mountain views
- solar electric (just wish we had put in sooner)
- open plan but with a library where one can escape to read, study, or watch tv if public space is too loud
- great mud room with cubbies for everyone
- backup generator (we lose power a few times a year
- covered breezeway between garage and home
- chose a fantastic builder

Things I wish we did differently
- ducts for ac (don't need it often)
- sports court as kids didn't use it as expected
- don't use some of the porches as much as I thought
- lofts above each bedroom. Cool but not used much
- kept so many trees. Would be nice to have a bit more cleared

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Radiant floor heating where we can
Split ranch design
Pot filler spigot on the stove backsplash
Touchless spigot for the kitchen sink, either on floor or by swiping hand
Extra large pantry in kitchen (with door)
Garage level with house. I always thought this was code but a neighbor just did it.
Large screened porch
Built in safe/gun room in basement.
Outside starirs to basement.

One thing I do not know if anybody has mentioned: a central vacuum.

I never have one, but often wish I do. I have severe hay fever and dust allergy. So, I do not dust but always vacuum not just the floor but also the furniture and shelves so as not to stir up the dust. If I could just move from room to room with a long hose and a brush instead of lugging a big upright, I would be able to do that cleaning job more frequently.

Perhaps all I need to do is to buy another vacuum for the upstairs, so as not having to lug it up/down the stairs.

I installed central vac systems in two prior houses and liked them very much. There was a lot of measuring involved to get spots where one outlet would be good for an entire floor, using a 30 foot hose. In the last house I had to settle for two outlets for the main floor. It wasn't as hard as I expected, and worked very well.

We've had central vac in two houses. Love it.

Our unit is in the garage. A friend has his unit in the basement.

I recommend the garage - just in case of a repeat of "The Year of the Stinkbugs."

We have a hose for each floor.

This isn't a design feature, but is worth doing if you are building:

Take pictures just before the drywall is hung. If you ever need to locate wiring or plumbing after the house is completed you have pictures that show where everything is.

Long central vac hoses are a PITA and generated more of a groan from those employing them than pulling out the upright. Hard to know in advance if furniture will be in the way of the connection points (whereas electrical outlets must be all over the place, by code). It's not something I'd put in my dream house unless I had serious allergies.

If I had any kind of heating season at all, my dream house would certainly include a whole-house humidifier. Since I added one, it has added so much to my winter quality of life!

Inside tornado safe room (closet). Also, we never seem to have enough storage, so design for more of that. Epoxy floor in garage. Prewired for video surveillance at key locations (eg outside entry doors). LED lighting throughout. Spray foam insulation and high seer AC. Hail resistant roof.

This isn't a design feature, but is worth doing if you are building:

Take pictures just before the drywall is hung. If you ever need to locate wiring or plumbing after the house is completed you have pictures that show where everything is.

On the one home we had built (likely the last time we'll do that) I did just that. I don't remember where I got the idea, possibly my own brain :) but it really did come in very handy. I wired my own CAT5 cable through the house, as well as some audio/video. Always nice to know where to create a hole for a wall plate without worrying about hitting a pipe or electric wire...

Long central vac hoses are a PITA and generated more of a groan from those employing them than pulling out the upright. Hard to know in advance if furniture will be in the way of the connection points (whereas electrical outlets must be all over the place, by code). It's not something I'd put in my dream house unless I had serious allergies............

I put in a central vacuum per DW's request. On the plus side it is really powerful and it is nice that it blows the fine dust outside (in the garage). On the downside, as mentioned, hauling around a 30 foot hose is no picnic and you have to be careful not to scrub the corners by dragging it across.

There is an option that stores the hose inside the wall that might be an improvement, though I've never used one. Videos

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom