Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is a very short nonfiction book that discusses the science and technology in my fiction book, Yesterday's Thief:

Both are FREE.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 04:39 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

My first novel, "An Accidental Family" - a 'The End of Civilization as We Know It' story with a retired soldier/farmer as hero is available for $2.99 in Kindle format:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVU5ILA

Reserve a weekend for reading, as it's a long book - 800 pages. If you like it, check back again in a few months as several more books are in progress.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

WTG, Papa. Great reviews!
Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 AM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark24609 View Post
please visit my retirement blog and make comments www.theretirementspt.com you may find it informative will post all types of topics.
Very nice blog. I liked the articles about Bob Brinker and Dave Ramsey. We had similar experiences with their philosophies. Bob Brinker did school us on Vanguard and shark attacks, we were novice investors at the time (early-mid 90's). I appreciate that. But the Market Timer newsletter was too much. We ended up sticking to VG and 60/40. It worked for us.
Dave Ramsey, best advice he had...get out of debt. Actually, that's the only advice we followed but his talk show was entertaining.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #105

One of my songs of the week

https://youtu.be/qziOBhSS3UM
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post

Great! I forgot we had a Chapman stick player here!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Great! I forgot we had a Chapman stick player here!

-ERD50
thanks! every once in a while when this thread comes alive. the mood strikes me to post a tune
Old 07-31-2019, 11:32 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post

Lovely, and very relaxing.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

neat, my brother has a Chapman Stick as well, not sure if he still plays it much.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:01 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Excellent. I want to see both hands next time!
Old 08-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #111

travel Blog

Hopefully, this is the place to post our travel blog.
Travels Around the World With Steve & Kathy

The software we used to create the site has been superseded, and we could not see making a new website. Please enjoy our travels as we did.

There are 42 trip stories posted broken down into 4 categories:
Ocean cruises
River cruises
Land trips abroad
Land trips in the US
There is also a 5th category of some trips I took before meeting my wife, including a trip to China and the Trans-Siberian Express.
There are also stories about me flying a jet, a helicopter, and a B-25
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Creative ERs - books, blogs, music and art created by our members
Old 08-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #112

Creative ERs - books, blogs, music and art created by our members

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Excellent. I want to see both hands next time!

I’ll try to next time. As is evident I don’t do much production on them [emoji1783] I usually make them just as a sketch book so I can go back later and decide if it’s one worth working on more.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retch The Grate View Post
neat, my brother has a Chapman Stick as well, not sure if he still plays it much.

I got one a long time ago and didn’t play it much till I FIREd and I decided I wanted to get better at it. It’s a lot of fun once you get over the beginners hump of everything sounding like a cross between a typewriter and a harpsichord [emoji1782]
Fledgling International Entrepreneur at 65 .
Old 08-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #114

Fledgling International Entrepreneur at 65 .

Almost 7 months ago I decided to build a website and offer my services as a developer. So it meant I needed to learn Wordpress find a host and learn about the mystical Search Engine Optimization (SEO) -Essentially how Google decides in what order to show sites when someone enters “Labradoodle” in their text search box. Some people pay to get on top and others do so organically with great and voluminous content. I’ve come to appreciate the Googles power as gate keepers. Traffic to my site was well the sound of “crickets” but if you haven’t learned patience by 65 you never will. I learned that it could take up to a year to get any traction. Well I have continued to add “pages” (content) and out of the blue a very nice retired lady called me and asked if I could automate some Amazon Seller reporting. I quoted a cheap price (to start the enterprise and possibly get a reference). Got it to the point where it would “work flawlessly” (her words not mine). She paid me and said she “might be back in touch”. Well about then I got a notion to build some software “on spec”. It would target new small businesses - there are 40 million small businesses in the US I thought if I could just reach a small number well I might make some “scratch”. So I’ve been coding away and now have bought in 2 junior partners. One is in the UK (I advertised in a developer site for collaborators) and is contributing as well a my SIL who is a gifted proof reader, form builder and testor. Lots of free help -if it sells they will get some portion of the sales.

Guess what that first client called back with more work - I am so excited with the software product I almost wish she had-not. What I earn from her work will cover all my startup costs. The product is a couple hours work away from the final functionality and re proof reading.. this old man is busy and just having fun.. I am however back in front of the monitor. Whats that they say about old dogs?
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

I just released this one, and today it is free on Amazon. It will also be free on Sept 3.

I plotted out this book based on what's called "The Hero's Journey."

Old 09-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

I published my first audiobook a few days ago:

Click here to see it on Audible.com (you can listen to a sample).

I spent the money (#blowthedough) for a top-flight narrator who's done over 450 books. You can see him in this video:

https://vimeo.com/229311370

I need to sell 300 to break even on the $2K production cost. Who knows whether I will?

I can give away a limited number of free review copies (with the hopes that you'll leave a review on Audible.com). PM me if you want one.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

I published my next book in the legal series. It is FREE today (10/13) on Amazon.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

The audiobook of Sufficient Evidence is now out, and I have some free ones to give away. Unless you're in the UK, copy one of these promo codes and paste it into the box at https://audible.com/acx-promo . If the code is already taken try the next one.

QE5E9UQG4EBN3
QSQ3CG73N8A9G
RNAUEF5UKEJBE
SLY77UCD4R8TB
TK5A5JS4YES77
Old 11-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats Al on all of your success. I have 2/3 Best Sellers (in my head) and am contemplating about starting my first novel. I know the world is full of unfinished 1 chapter books and am a little weary about adding to them.
Is there any advice you can give to someone just starting out about layout or any aspect you consider important ? Any advice is appreciated. Thank You in advance :-)
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
Congrats Al on all of your success. I have 2/3 Best Sellers (in my head) and am contemplating about starting my first novel. I know the world is full of unfinished 1 chapter books and am a little weary about adding to them.
Is there any advice you can give to someone just starting out about layout or any aspect you consider important ? Any advice is appreciated. Thank You in advance :-)
A few years ago I was where you are now.

I suggest you take a look at my How to Write shelf on GoodReads:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/lis...te&sort=rating

These are particularly good:

I have a rule: Once I start writing, I must finish writing the book. Several of my books wouldn't have been finished without that rule. Outlining will help you know whether the book will work before you start writing.

Those books should inspire you. Good luck!