Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
What about pretending to be on the phone every time you come and go? Or wearing earphones and say you are in the middle of a language study program so you can't be disturbed? That way you could shout out random irregular Spanish verbs and suddenly be the crazier neighbor SHE avoids.

Good idea in principle.... but I've tried them. If I'm wearing earphones she stands in front of me and yells. The language thing might work but she fancies she speaks both Spanish and French and she'd immediately start to learn whatever language I say I'm studying so we could chat. I tried it with Japanese. I don't really want to learn Mandarin.

I forgot to mention another endearing habit: she has a dog and she lets him jump all over me whenever I'm near. Or she lets out the leash so long that I almost trip if I try to get around him.

Ah well.... I'll be retired in a year and won't have to worry about her anymore.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ask her for a loan.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
Gone but not forgotten

I think a pit bull may solve your problems !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think a pit bull may solve your problems !

Do they make pitbulls that are litter-trained? The whole scooping thing loses its charm at 6 a.m. on a wet Vancouver morning. Lol!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
Good idea in principle.... but I've tried them. If I'm wearing earphones she stands in front of me and yells. The language thing might work but she fancies she speaks both Spanish and French and she'd immediately start to learn whatever language I say I'm studying so we could chat. I tried it with Japanese. I don't really want to learn Mandarin.

I forgot to mention another endearing habit: she has a dog and she lets him jump all over me whenever I'm near. Or she lets out the leash so long that I almost trip if I try to get around him.

Ah well.... I'll be retired in a year and won't have to worry about her anymore.
Pepper spray, shown to her in plain sight but not used unless the dog gets aggressive, would be very useful for the uncontrolled dog thing. That is ridiculous that you are jumped on by this animal.

Lonely is one thing. The more info you provide, the more it sounds like this woman is playing "gatekeeper", i.e. entry controller, to the entire community. I am assuming that you are living in a multi-apartment building. Or is it just you that she treats like this? Has anyone else complained about her behavior?

Perhaps an open discussion with the building superintendent, her, and you, all in the same room, with calm voices, is in order. The behavior you describe is completely out of line, almost like a subtle form of harassment. Sheesh!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree with LauAnn. Being kind but busily on your way is probably the best solution. Start wearing a iPOD and singing out loud. Either that or move to another location!

I think most people who have lived in high density housing have had similar or worse experiences. In 2005 I happened to buy a townhome next door to the HOA president who very quickly let me know that my dog was NOT to pee on the small patch of community grass in front of our building. And this was a complex with LOTS of dogs! I just ignored her. She was also annoying because she was always bringing home a new boyfriend about every weekend and in the summer, with the windows open, I heard the two of them moaning and groaning in the bedroom. One time I walked by her open back door and she and the boyfriend were getting it on in the kitchen!

Three years later she adopted a dog herself, an obnoxious dog that hated my dog and barked ferociously at us whenever we went outside.

I ended up just pretending that I liked her and was always friendly. But when I moved I was so happy to say goodbye!

That is one reason that the next property I purchase will be a house.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Pepper spray, shown to her in plain sight but not used unless the dog gets aggressive, would be very useful for the uncontrolled dog thing. That is ridiculous that you are jumped on by this animal.

Lonely is one thing. The more info you provide, the more it sounds like this woman is playing "gatekeeper", i.e. entry controller, to the entire community. I am assuming that you are living in a multi-apartment building. Or is it just you that she treats like this? Has anyone else complained about her behavior?

Perhaps an open discussion with the building superintendent, her, and you, all in the same room, with calm voices, is in order. The behavior you describe is completely out of line, almost like a subtle form of harassment. Sheesh!

That is EXACTLY what she is. She's a lonely, old busy body. I feel sorry for her in a way. Most people are so obvious in their attempts to avoid her.

I just needed to vent, mostly. I'm not about to move (I own the place outright and I'm staying put). Like I said, I'm hitting the road in less than a year so I will learn to put up with it a bit longer. And who knows, maybe the two of us can sit in the lobby then and annoy everyone that comes in

I like her dog though.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn View Post
She sounds lonely and harmless. Therefore, be kind. Wave and say hello then as graciously as possible be on your way. Someday you might be glad you took this approach rather than something more drastic.
My idea also. These people are lonely, why step on their faces?

Ha
Old 05-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Sorry I can't stay and talk ... my doctor told me I am allergic to dogs... the glue in the hallway carpet... her perfume... the dusty floor... or some other convenient (fictitious) allergy... that causes terrible migraines... sinus trouble... itchy eyes...
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, she sounds like a good-hearted lady. She keeps an eye on your car and she would probably call the cops if she saw a burglar snoop around your apartment. And it sounds like she genuinely worries about your well being. Since you live alone (with no friends or family nearby), having someone like her next door could potentially be a saving grace one day.

I would remain friendly, though a bit distant. Once you retire, you can take 5 or 10 minutes out of your day to indulge her. I know, I am not a people person either and it will take some energy out of you. But there is nothing worse than a disgruntled neighbor.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The opportunity for entertainment is limited only by your imagination.
My thought exactly.

Try to sell her an annuity.

Wear a Freddie Kruger mask and carry a machete.

Tell her you have to hurry to take your medication for ebola, smallpox, or whatever other exotic deadly and highly communicable disease you can think of.

Carry on a loud conversation with the mailbox.

Wear a tinfoil hat.

Ask her to help you look for your escaped poisonous snake.

Yes, the opportunities abound.