Join Early Retirement Today

Critters in engine compartment
Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Critters in engine compartment

I been having guests in my engine compartment for the last few weeks. Seems they have taken up residency on the battery and top of the engine.

I've tried putting pepper which they seem to like and I even taped off the areas but I think they like sleeping on a stick surface.

Any ideas to get rid of these pests?
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ok, I have to ask...what kind of critters?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #3

I have no idea.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hood open so they feel insecure. Rats, bunnies and squirrels down in the desert - and they love the vacuum lines and hoses!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I have no idea.
No droppings to clue you in?

I was tidying up our garage the other day and I noticed that one of the boxes I looked in had some chewed up papers and mouse droppings ALL OVER the bottom of the box. No, not chiggers or scorpions -- mice. Their scat made it obvious.

I thought I remember seeing one scurry across the floor a few weeks ago...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:22 PM   #6

Yeah, some droppings and twigs and things but I'm no droppings expert. I do suspect my neighbor may be responsible since his wife threw him out. (heh)
Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Ok, I have to ask...what kind of critters?
Since he lives in Florida , my guess would be alligators , armadillos , wild pigs , giant roaches , palmetto bugs or snakes !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This is a common problem with tractors. Some of the guys swear by dryer sheets. My experience is that the mice like 'em.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Try some moth balls. If nothing else it will eliminate moths. Not to mention frightening the male moths regarding losing theirs.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #10

get a cat. I had issues with field mice in my garage during the winter. Suckers would chew wires and insulation and make nests. Gets expensive if they chew thru some wires and short circuit stuff.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Try some moth balls. If nothing else it will eliminate moths. Not to mention frightening the male moths regarding losing theirs.
I second the moth balls idea with a twist - buy a bulk package of cheap ladies' knee-high stockings and use them as pouches for the moth balls. Fill only with enough mothballs so they lay flat where you want to place them. Tie off the top in a knot and secure to the air filter cover or hang from a non-moving, non-heating engine part with strong cotton string.
I put several of these in my 'Stang for winter garage storage, all over in the trunk, engine and passenger compartments. The smell airs out within a day or two. No meeses so far.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

rodent droppings sketches halfway down this page
Public-Health Pesticide Applicator Training Manual - Vertebrate Pests
Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Administrator

Great idea. I have had a rodent problem when I store my BMW Z3 for the winter. I will try the mothballs.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #14

I'll give the mothballs a shot and report back.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

As long as you are not using hamsters to power the vehicle, I would also suggest mothballs.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Probably not popular with this crowd, but the collector car forums swear by DRYER SHEETS in the engine comp, ventilation intake, interior and trunk.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
get a cat. I had issues with field mice in my garage during the winter. Suckers would chew wires and insulation and make nests. Gets expensive if they chew thru some wires and short circuit stuff.
Neighbors cat used to crawl into my engine compartment to stay warm in winter. She got an unexpected several-block ride one day. Fortunately, I heard her before any damage (to cat or car.) Oddly, she never did it again as far as I know.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:09 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I have the same problem with mice in my gas grill. Sometimes they build a nest on the cooking grates,sometimes in the storage area below, and they eat through the gas line from the tank. I'll give moth balls /dryer sheets a try.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

DOG HAIR! save the hair when you brush your dog, or have your neighbors save it for you. Sprinkle some of it in the engine compartment every so often, or put it on the ground where you normally park your car. The scent will keep the critters away.

I was stationed in Guantanamo Bay Cuba for 5 years where the rats are as big as small dogs. They chewed on your hoses and belts in your engine compartment all the time. My boss calls me at work one morning to tell me he's going to be a bit late. He went out to start his Jeep and heard this awful gut-wrenching squeal. He popped the hood and found a rat (still alive) wrapped around his serpentine belt to the point the engine would not even turn over. He had to call base security to come out and kill the rat then cut the serpentine belt to get the dead rat out.

Mike
wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Yeah, some droppings and twigs and things but I'm no droppings expert. (heh)
Me either. I couldn't identify any animal by its droppings except maybe a bunny, and I'm pretty sure the culprit is not a bunny.

I am so impressed with all the Daniel Boone types on this thread that can easily determine what animals have been around by examining their droppings! Perhaps only in America would such a skill be so widespread.

I have had a cat climb into my engine compartment to stay warm (many years ago). It must be some sort of death wish as that is not a very safe thing for cats to do. I identified it by watching it run away in terror once I started moving.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote