Join Early Retirement Today

Crown Molding; Paint Color
Old 11-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Crown Molding; Paint Color

Having a house built in 55+ community - down to the finishes design phase - what are everybody's thoughts on crown molding - it's an option - and if we add it - the whole home or just the more formal areas? Recommendations?

While we're at it, any recommendations on paint color - I know it's a personal thing - but we'll largely be refurnishing - and want something nice but fairly neutral.

Thanks,
Mitch
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #2

I love and recommend crown molding. Every room. It’s a great transition from the wall to the ceiling. Make sure it’s done well. Great cuts by the carpenter and good caulking to handle the seams. If it separates from the ceiling, it doesn’t look so good. Of course all nail holes patched and sanded followed by a semi gloss finish. Sharp!
Old 11-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are big fans of crown moulding; but I've always made it myself; I've always seen it as the best thing ever for lack of perfection in framing and finishing (and for settling over 75-100 years).... Paint color? That's a subjective call. If you don't intend to sell within 5 years, go with what you like.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I say yes to crown moulding. White if paint grade. Or stained to match other stained trim.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #5

I say yes to crown molding, in the formal areas at least. White, or matching other trim. Semi-gloss. We matched ours to the ceiling (also white) and have color on the walls. There are many different whites, of course.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #6

FWIW, many of the rooms in our dream, "to die in" house were painted in all white. When we were "forced" to move, several people asked our real estate agent why it was just primed and not painted....
Old 11-07-2020, 06:42 AM   #7

When we bought our unfinished house in a 55+ community we chose different colors than the standard offwhite. The walls are light blue, molding trim including crown is a darker medium blue, ceililng is a light pale blue. Really different and we like it. We've since painted a couple rooms a seafoam green and pale yellow. The colors remind us of the Caribbean. The cost for different colors were $500/room if the builder did it.
Also when choosing cabinets the $ allowance for stained cypress was the same as painted.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
gone traveling

Sounds like a lot of interest in crown molding. Here is a video about making crown molding, it is a little long at 38 minutes, maybe watch at 2X. It is an artist at work and doesn't end the way I thought it would.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #9
Administrator

We have crown molding in the formal rooms and quite enjoy it. Like all the other trim (doors, windows, baseboards, etc) throughout the house, it is painted bone white.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #10

Get the molding - it's far far easier to have it done now than to add it later. When we remodeled we did it throughout, except bathrooms. White.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:10 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We did both Crown Molding and Waynescoating in our house - 6 years ago. The builder applied “the Pulte mist” throughout the house.

Two weeks ago, we began the repainting process. Our experience was:

1. Ensure the ceilings are done in White
2. We selected a light gray for the Master - due to having creme colored furniture.
3. We selected “Tamarind for the Master bath and office.”
4. Light blue for the spare bath (which we will do next year in the spare bedroom.)
5. We will select a single neutral color for our open LR, DR, Kitchen, Hall next year when we paint that area.

We expect to live in this house for 5+ years.

ER 12/15/2017
Now: Side Hustle(r) Extraordinaire
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm a REALTOR in a 55+ community. Crown Molding is ALWAYS pointed out as a tasteful 'upgrade'. Homes that only have CM in a few rooms cry 'CHEAP', Why wasn't the whole house done? Homes with CM in Every room, including bathrooms cry 'WELL DONE' and imply all things done in the rest of the home were done right as well.

White paint is out. The new off-white today is a very light gray walls with white trim.
Indiana Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #13

We have it in all downstairs 9' ceilings. I have never posted pics here but they did something I've always thought was pretty nice. About 2-1/2" below the bottom of the crown m there is another trim piece (not sure what the profile is called, it's a little more than an inch wide). The CM, the trim, and the wallboard between the two are all painted white, in contrast to the wall color. It's a nice effect.

Upstairs I added smaller CM in baths because we had ceiling sheetrock separate from the wall sheetrock. Just covered it with the CM.

It's a little different, but have used LED's in several places to brighten spaces. I am considering putting small CM in upstairs hall, removing the cheapo fixtures, but drop the CM an inch or two. Then run LED tape above (well, actually IN) the CM. You can see lots of examples on the web if you do a search. Maybe not for everyone, but I may try it.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Randy View Post
I'm a REALTOR in a 55+ community. Crown Molding is ALWAYS pointed out as a tasteful 'upgrade'. Homes that only have CM in a few rooms cry 'CHEAP', Why wasn't the whole house done? Homes with CM in Every room, including bathrooms cry 'WELL DONE' and imply all things done in the rest of the home were done right as well.
I've never heard that a lack of crown molding makes a home look cheap. In fact, depending on the style of the home (modern, for example) crown molding can look horribly out of place. Of course, if you have a traditional style home it can look nice if the right style is chosen and it's installed properly.

I can also see why it's offered as an "upgrade"....the profit margin is probably very high.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Depending on the colors selected for the walls, ceiling, and trim, sometimes crown molding looks really good in a cream color instead of stark white.

Here in New Orleans, crown molding is a big "plus" when trying to buy or sell a home and almost all homes have it. But then, we don't have very many brand new homes here; most are historic or at least 50-100 years old like mine. Also the type of crown molding makes a difference.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:36 AM   #16

We have crown molding only in the kitchen when it was remodeled, stained not painted.
I guess I never thought of cm as luxury or not, lol. I am neutral on it.
If I had it, I would paint it a different color to stand out, but probably a soft white or cream, rather than a stark white.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Add the crown molding-it will look nice. We have painted the ceiling in a 10% formula of the wall color and painted the crown molding ultra white. It pops nicely between the wall and ceiling and adds dimensionality.
NgineER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:16 PM   #18

I am installing upper cabinets in my utility room this week, and was looking for molding to put across the top of the cabinets. Solid wood trim is simply priced out of sight right now. And Home Depot & Lowes didn't carry the oak trim I really needed for the job.

I'd hate to think how much 10" wide layered crown molding cost in my living room and entrance hall with 19 foot ceilings.

But according to the style of the home and the price point of the neighborhood, crown moldings are almost expected in most of the homes of today.

I'll vote for white crown molding and trim throughout most homes.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:18 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wall paint color depends on the color of your flooring and even your favorite furniture, but in my view, should always be some type of white. Not beige, not "light" blue or green, definitely no primary-colored walls. At least in an over-55 there won't be any kiddie rooms to paint all blue, all red, or whatever the child's nonexistent taste has called for.

Warm white or cool white - paint stores have dozens and dozens of whites. I'm not a fan of dead "builder white." White needs some tint to it.

I happen to like Sherwin-Williams "Roman Column," a warm yellowish white, because we have terracotta floors. Dark hardwood floors would call for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
Having a house built in 55+ community - down to the finishes design phase - what are everybody's thoughts on crown molding - it's an option - and if we add it - the whole home or just the more formal areas? Recommendations?

While we're at it, any recommendations on paint color - I know it's a personal thing - but we'll largely be refurnishing - and want something nice but fairly neutral.

Thanks,
Mitch
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #20

We added crown molding in all rooms and it looks so crisp. Im not into decorating much, but crown molding is one item that seems to pull the room together. We use Sherwin Williams Greek Villa for the color.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote