Join Early Retirement Today

Cruise Disaster news not disiminated
Old 07-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Cruise Disaster news not disiminated

5 Killed In Alaska Sightseeing Plane Crash - News Story - WPLG Miami

Quote:
The floatplane left Ketchikan shortly before 1:30 p.m. for a tour over Misty Fiords National Monument. It was reported missing after a Taquan dispatcher tried to contact the plane for 20 minutes without success, Laurance said.

The downed plane was located on land near the south arm of Rudyerd Bay about 35 miles northeast of Ketchikan.

The passengers on board were traveling on the Sun Princess, an 856-foot ship with Princess Cruises that was on the second day of a seven-day roundtrip cruise from Seattle. The vessel left Ketchikan two hours after its scheduled departure of 4:30 p.m.

The names of the pilot and passengers were not immediately released.

The cruise ship company has cut off Taquan Air tours at this time, Princess spokeswoman Julie Benson said in a prepared statement. Princess also notified the families of the passengers.
DW and I just returned from a cruise in Alaska on Sunday PM and I recall seeing the Sun Princess in either Ketchikan or Skagway. Anyway, we flew on an excursion out of Juneau around the same time however neither our ship (ms Statendam) nor the flight company (ERA) found it necessary to mention it to us. It would not have made any difference as out helicopter flight was beautiful, safe, and event free. But, I would have appreciated a heads up as my MIL heard the news and assumed the worst. We did not give her a call to say "hi,we're back" until today when she advised us of the tragic event and her angst in assuming the worst.

Don't you think that someone should have at least mentioned it to their customers?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
[URL="http://www.local10.com/news/13750085/detail.html"]Don't you think that someone should have at least mentioned it to their customers?
I see your point, but I can't imagine a situation in which a travel company would inform its current travelers about a related accident.

Actually I noticed the headline on one of my news sites, but when I went back to read the story later couldn't find it. It didn't seem to be particularly big news, at least online.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I think it would have been bigger news if the ship had hit something and were killed but it seems as if they were treating this as if a passenger had gotten off the ship and was killed in an auto accident.