Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sojourner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
In Venice a MSC cruise ship plowed into a smaller cruise ship and the dock, pretty dramatic video.
Wow... incredible. What's even more amazing (actually, dumbfounding) than the actual crash is how many people on shore were so casually milling around near the point of impact as that gigantic hulking ship is lumbering ever closer to them. Some of them were even walking towards it!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Teacher Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6,421
I saw the Venice crash on the news last night. Terrible.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ATL --> Flyover Country
Posts: 6,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
More ships is small spaces = more contact. Sorta like auto racing?
This x1000. So many of the smaller, interesting places I have enjoyed traveling to over the years have been overtaken by cruise ships with their hoards of people and it annoys me no end. Would you guess that I am *not* a fan of cruise ships?
__________________
FIRE'd in 2014 @ 40 Years Old
Professional Retiree
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 34,681
Wow, sounds like the Venetians are really tired of these cruise ships and want them out of the canals.

Crazy - big ship has an engine failure near Venice. What are they going to plow into next? Apparently a cruise ship from the same company plowed through water and electricity lines to one of the nearby islands several years ago. People without for weeks.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:49 PM   #25
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,508
I assume you meant to write "sad" rather than "fad".
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Koogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,700
I assume you meant to write "bad" rather than "fad".
__________________
Family Motto: "Every penny's a prisoner"
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Koolau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Leeward Oahu
Posts: 12,650
The older I get, the less I desire to travel outside the US (the DR appears to have some possible issues right now, for instance.) With all our problems, at least you have some (theoretical) recourse when things go wrong. I've heard lots of stories about cruise lines offering "free" passage on another cruise to make up for things like norovirus outbreaks or major malfunctions which ruin the trip. I can't back this up personally.

Sort of reminds you of the old joke" Second prize is TWO trips on the SS Noro. YMMV
__________________
Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:41 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,154
Looks like the US Navy and Russian Navy almost made the news with this new fad the other day. Close call.
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Looks like the US Navy and Russian Navy almost made the news with this new fad the other day. Close call.
That has been going on for years, just lately started back up as the Russians are getting back out to sea.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:33 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 15,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
The older I get, the less I desire to travel outside the US (the DR appears to have some possible issues right now, for instance.) With all our problems, at least you have some (theoretical) recourse when things go wrong. I've heard lots of stories about cruise lines offering "free" passage on another cruise to make up for things like norovirus outbreaks or major malfunctions which ruin the trip. I can't back this up personally.

Sort of reminds you of the old joke" Second prize is TWO trips on the SS Noro. YMMV
I still enjoy travel inside or outside the country. But, cruising, at this time is not for me. An acquantance recently returned from a Mediterranean Cruise. As I listened to his stories of seeing this and that famous site I realized that he often spent as little as 5 minutes at some of these places. The Colosseum in Rome was literally a drive by "there it is" moment in time. Hit-and-run sight seeing is not for me.

The older I get the longer I want to spend in an area absorbing what photographer Bob Krist called "The Spirit of Place". And, if I don't care for the spirit, then it's time to move on.

I certainly know a number of people who enjoy cruising. They don't build those mega ships for the fun of it. To each his or her own. The time may come when I really NEED the elevators on a cruise ship, so..... never say never.
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.

Self proclaimed President for Life of Outliers United.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: On a hill in the Pine Barrens
Posts: 8,694
It is definitely true you spend so little time at each site, when on a cruise. We spent a week in Vancouver, which was a great way to segue into the cruise, and its hurryoff/hurryback stops.

We may do another in Europe next year. I think 1 or 2 days in the departing city would be nicer. Cruise ships crashing is not raising my comfort level.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 15,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I assume you meant to write "sad" rather than "fad".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I assume you meant to write "bad" rather than "fad".
Nope, I meant fad, as there was a sudden surge in cruise ships crashing being reported. It seems to be a fad right now.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Nope, I meant fad, as there was a sudden surge in cruise ships crashing being reported. It seems to be a fad right now.
Wow, man...that's rad.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:29 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 11,719
I'm a little puzzled by the implication that cruise ship captains and crews have developed an enthusiasm, a mania, a love, even a fetish, for crashing the ship. I picture the officers clustered on the bridge, intensely watching the instruments, instructing the deck crew: "No, bring her in closer! Closer! I don't care if there are people on the pier, we want her as close as she'll get! Even closer than she'll get!"

fad
/fad/
noun
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
"prairie restoration is the latest gardening fad in the Midwest"
synonyms: craze, vogue, trend, fashion, mode, enthusiasm, passion, infatuation, love, obsession, mania, rage, compulsion, fixation, fetish, weakness, fancy, taste, novelty, whim, fascination, preoccupation; More


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Nope, I meant fad, as there was a sudden surge in cruise ships crashing being reported. It seems to be a fad right now.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Even a blind clock finds an acorn twice a day.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 15,138
We do like certain aspects of cruising in Europe, mostly that we get to see various places easily without packing up, transport to new hotel, unpack, go see site and repeat.

At the same time for large cities, staying in the city for days is best. Example we stayed in Barcelona for 10 days (70 Euro/night hotel) so we got to see lots of the sites, and shop/eat at local restaurants.
In fact we went for breakfast very often at 1 place where my language inability was a real roadblock. By about the 9th day, the owner worked through the language issue to ask us if we had moved into the area

So now I try to combine these ideas, and spend X days in a city. Then cruise from that city, if there is interesting places to go that we might not want to fly to separately.
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 15,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm a little puzzled by the implication that cruise ship captains and crews have developed an enthusiasm, a mania, a love, even a fetish, for crashing the ship. I picture the officers clustered on the bridge, intensely watching the instruments, instructing the deck crew: "No, bring her in closer! Closer! I don't care if there are people on the pier, we want her as close as she'll get! Even closer than she'll get!"

fad
/fad/
noun
an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the object's qualities; a craze.
"prairie restoration is the latest gardening fad in the Midwest"
synonyms: craze, vogue, trend, fashion, mode, enthusiasm, passion, infatuation, love, obsession, mania, rage, compulsion, fixation, fetish, weakness, fancy, taste, novelty, whim, fascination, preoccupation; More
I know I've driven only tiny small pleasure boats, but it is really thrilling and fun to come in fast to a dock and cut the power suddenly to end up drifting into the dock in a nice landing. For me it was a youthful thrill.
Perhaps some of the cruise ship captains are young ?
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,154
"trend" is probably the word. But I like "fad" OK too!
JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Teacher Terry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6,421
I like cruising the Caribbean but for Europe I prefer a land trip because we like to spend a lot of time in one place.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Nemo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
So now I try to combine these ideas, and spend X days in a city. Then cruise from that city, if there is interesting places to go that we might not want to fly to separately.
Although we're currently on an enforced hiatus, our modus operandi was/is to either take an eastbound cruise and then travel around a couple countries, or do the countries first and then grab a westbound ship home.
__________________
"Exit, pursued by a bear."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:51 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 34,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I still enjoy travel inside or outside the country. But, cruising, at this time is not for me. An acquantance recently returned from a Mediterranean Cruise. As I listened to his stories of seeing this and that famous site I realized that he often spent as little as 5 minutes at some of these places. The Colosseum in Rome was literally a drive by "there it is" moment in time. Hit-and-run sight seeing is not for me.

The older I get the longer I want to spend in an area absorbing what photographer Bob Krist called "The Spirit of Place". And, if I don't care for the spirit, then it's time to move on.

I certainly know a number of people who enjoy cruising. They don't build those mega ships for the fun of it. To each his or her own. The time may come when I really NEED the elevators on a cruise ship, so..... never say never.
Pretty much why we nixed river cruising Europe, although they definitely stay a few hours at each location. But I wanted to spend at least twice that. So we used a few cities as bases found local day trips, and still got to spend some time on the river here and there.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
accident, crash, cruise, cruise ship


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Management Fad: Strength Finder GalaxyBoy Other topics 33 11-12-2016 04:22 PM
Cruise ship shopping Meadbh Travel Information 17 12-01-2011 10:43 PM
Live on a Cruise Ship for $60k/year (or so) MasterBlaster Other topics 6 02-10-2011 06:37 PM
Could you save $$ by living on a cruise ship? Grizz Life after FIRE 24 07-13-2007 11:15 AM
Cruise ship condos lauraf13 Life after FIRE 3 03-06-2005 07:00 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.