Cruise Ship Crashing Fad

We always get off in the ports but there is usually a tour we want to take.

That has been going on for years, just lately started back up as the Russians are getting back out to sea.
Concur
Somewhere I have pics from a US DDG trying to ram a Soviet Krivak Class Frigate that tried to block a US conventional carrier during an unrep….

However, from the little bit I know of the rules of the road the guy showing the red running light has the right of way...….

^^^ There was a murder-suicide case in 2015, when a Holland America ship was docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

^^^ There was a murder-suicide case in 2015, when a Holland America ship was docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Yes, that was the ship I was on. When we were getting off the ship for the day in Puerto Rico, the ship was crawling with FBI.

Once a cruise ship approaches a port, a harbor pilot takes over, but the captain is still responsible. The captain on our 2018 World Cruise said he'd not hesitate to belay an order given by a harbor pilot if he felt it unwise or take over if necessary. The buck definitely stops with the captain.

My nephew and his family were on one of the two ships that collided at the dock today in Cozumel.

They were on the one that didn't get much damage.

I wonder what was happening in the dining room at the time. Either there wasn't anyone sitting there, or it happened slow enough for everybody to get out of harm's way. The times involved are in the many second range (apparently there's a video, but I haven't seen it). I imagine from first touch to when they stopped converging was more than 5 seconds, so some time to run.

EDIT: Just saw the video, not many seconds to run! [
]

And notice that the stern thruster was engaged, pushing the stern right into the bow of the other ship. Tsk, tsk. Don't blame the wind, or the sun in your eyes. I wonder if the port's harbor pilot or one of the ship's personnel (captain) was at the controls.

Attachments

• wrongPlaceAtTheWrongTime.jpg
    wrongPlaceAtTheWrongTime.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 44
  • crunch.jpg
    crunch.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 44
  • sternThrusterEngaged.jpg
    sternThrusterEngaged.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
My nephew and his family were on one of the two ships that collided at the dock today in Cozumel.

They were on the one that didn't get much damage.

I wonder what was happening in the dining room at the time. Either there wasn't anyone sitting there, or it happened slow enough for everybody to get out of harm's way. The times involved are in the many second range (apparently there's a video, but I haven't seen it). I imagine from first touch to when they stopped converging was more than 5 seconds, so some time to run.

harbor pilot or one of the ship's personnel (captain) was at the controls.

I saw reports that a person was injured running out of the dining room. And the video I saw clearly showed people in the above balconies not running away but watching the event.

Has Elon Musk seen this? He would have proposed to do an autopilot for these ships. :)

EDIT: Just saw the video, not many seconds to run! [
]

There's time, but you've got to be alert and quick on your feet. If you snooze, you lose (your life).

Last edited:
After the above collision, the Carnival ship that got the stern (rear) damage almost collided with the Royal Carribean ship from where the above video was taken.

Perhaps these cruise lines take competition too seriously. "Hey, that's my docking spot!". "No, I got here first". "But my ship is bigger, you've got to yield". "Hell, no".

Last edited:
Excitable little devils ain't they? And they're on a ship and don't know it's not a boat. :LOL::LOL:

After the above collision, the Carnival ship that got the stern (rear) damage almost collided with the Royal Carribean ship from where the above video was taken.
Before any collision, the thrusters were engaged to push the stern to starboard and spin the ship counter clockwise. That engagement and subsequent motion not only caused the original collision, but also put the ship dangerously close to the other docked ship. Then you see, in the video you posted, the rear thrusters are finally reversed which prevented a continued counter clockwise spin, and so preventing a second collision with the other docked ship.

The, (nowadays pretty much defunct), tugboat operators must be laughing their heads off.

Back
Top Bottom