Join Early Retirement Today

Curling in the Olympics
Old 02-22-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Curling in the Olympics

First let me say I am a redneck from the south. But I can not for the life of me figure out what in the hell is going on with an event in the winter olympics called "Curling". Are the 2 fools sweeping in front of this oversized hockey puck really considered athletes? I'm sure there must be some logic to this event but I'm not sure what it is. Please enlighten me.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg curling[1].jpg (12.3 KB, 112 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Curling in the Olympics
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I heard about curling, I thought it was contest on how many bicep curls someone can do within a predetermined time frame. I haven't the foggiest idea what curling has to do with ice hockey.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ignorance, Curling involves Skills and Strategy, more so than fat guys trying to hit a ball out of a park with a piece of wood.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
...Curling involves Skills and Strategy...
Like chess and poker?

Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
Ignorance, Curling involves Skills and Strategy, more so than fat guys trying to hit a ball out of a park with a piece of wood.
Try standing in the wrong place when the fat guy hits it...or putting the wrong guys to bat in the wrong order...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #6

It ain't a sport if middle-aged ladies do it...

(ok, there's one exception, but there's no olympic event in that....)

As for the appeal of curling, you got me...

--

Oops, if I offended anyone, then let me add that it's also not a sport if middle-aged men do it.......
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:23 AM   #7

I think Curling is one of those regional sports like candlepin bowling here in New England. Is it a sport? Not in the aerobic sense but it does take skill. I always thought of it as Ice Shuffle Board.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 AM   #8

CoolDood, goyette who just won Gold in Ice hockey is 40, and one of the female sledders was 51, and what about Navitolova in tennis and and and

oh yeah, the Biathalon and wimen's Triathalons.

Curling is a strenuous sport that involves skills and strategies, not being born 7 feet tall and playing on an archaic playing surface , or weighing 350 pounds and dumb as a stick.

When will they change the dimensions of Basketball Courts and Football fields to reflect todays Players?
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I've always defined a sport as something I was not all that good at, in which case all of the above are sports, as far as I'm concerned.

setab
Old 02-23-2006, 07:04 AM   #10

Are we talking about a sport or what constitutes an athelete?* Those aren't the same.* * I might call bowling a sport, but someone who bowls is no athelete.* * Some of the best bowlers were beer-gutted, pig looking dudes that probably couldnt run 100 yards before falling over.

Michael Jordan is an athelete.

azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
I think Curling is one of those regional sports like candlepin bowling here in New England. Is it a sport? Not in the aerobic sense but it does take skill. I always thought of it as Ice Shuffle Board.
I had never realized that candlepin bowling was a local thing. When my g/f and i first moved to california, we decided to go throw a few rounds. After 3 stops at alleys that all turned out to be "big ball" we finally asked the guy behind the counter who had candlepin bowling. "Wha?". I asked people at work the next day. They were sure I was talking about lawn bowling or some other sport. On looking it up, it appears there are a half dozen major bowling spinoffs. I'm pretty sure that one up in wisconsin or minnesota or someplace like that involved throwing a food product down the lane...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:53 AM   #12

Yes CFB it's a regional thing, in fact it's hard to find Ten Pin bowling in my part of the country.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Oh I remember...maybe one or two lanes way down at the end.

I did try "big ball" once. Turns out the skills translate well. I threw something up in the mid 100's. Better than all but one of the guys I went with. They got a kick out of me walking really fast up to the limit line and flinging the ball like an underhand softball pitcher though. I think the guy managing the lanes was close to telling me to cut it out...

Too bad it hasnt caught on elsewhere. Its a great sport for small kids, especially when they put the air bags in the gutters so they cant miss...

For anyone who's never seen it, candlepin bowling uses a softball sized ball and pins that are a few inches thick and slightly smaller at the top and bottom. You almost run up to the limit line and whip the ball down the lane. The lane and everything else including scoring is pretty much the same as "regular" bowling.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:16 AM   #14

Half the winter olympics events are arguably not "sports". Snowboarding? The luge, bobsledding, skeleton? Gravity pulls you down. The only thing you have to do is don't fall off/over.

The same requirements apply to sitting on a couch - just don't fall off/over.

Is sitting on a couch a sport?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #15

I like watching Olympic curling, but to me it's more a fascination that goes back to childhood. I recall mom & dad trying it once or twice at a local club in Anchorage, and I went and watched. I was watching with the childhood equivialent of "what the hell?" Adults frantically wiping the ice with brooms was spellbinding in a bewildered way. I watch it in a way somebody would watch somebody with very peculiar eating habits...sit there and try to figure out why the peas have to be just so and how important the particular motions are; do they really know just how much and how hard to sweep? (Don't answer; it will ruin the mystery for me.)

I don't disrespect it, though. I find it a tad odd that people who want to leave the workforce before anyone else to do their own thing would begrudge others their recreational and competitive activities. And I don't recall anyone complaining about Olympic ballroom dancing or Olympic synchronized swimming.

(edit: spelling)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I am insulted by this thread.

I f*rt in your generall direction. (except Jim's)

Bemidji Minnesota, home of half the US men's and women's curling team. Go Bermidji, ja!

We often play host in our home to a curling team from Wisconsin who plays in bonspiel Duluth. The guys sleep all over our living room floor after a hard day of curling.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

"Is sitting on a couch a sport?"

If it is, I might have to revise my earlier post. *

setab
Old 02-23-2006, 08:39 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

When I do it...yes!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #19

I didn't say I didn't like watching it... I think it's a rather neat sport, I just can't seem to follow the rules.

I'm a candlepin bowler, I've tried the ten pins but it really strains my elbow to throw that ball down the ally and it's difficult to find them here.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #20

It's NASCAR for Canadians.

Actually it reminds me of one weekend with my roommates in college. We dreamed up all these weird games, most of which involved beer cans, frisbees, and throwing objects down the hall of our apartment. Any of those games could have been an olympic sport.